And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2013, 01:27:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2013, 01:43:47 AM
Maybe there should be a review board to appeal unwanted Axis designations.

Meh.  Having one's take on cinema made fun of by a guy who thought Live Free or Die Hard was a good movie is the kind of problem you want to have.

Find where I specifically said that, please.  I seem to recall simply saying I enjoy the Die Hard movies.  Fun =/ Good, you flowery-language-and-references-make-my-reviews-sound-more-esoteric-than-they-really-are using moron Southerner.

QuoteI am curious what Money thinks is the better Wes Anderson film(s).

In this order:

Rushmore
Life Aquatic
Royal Tennenbaums
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Moonrise Kingdom
Bottle Rocket
Rapeling Limited

Neil

No, fun does equal good.  It's entertainment.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Just saw the trailer for Another Good Die to Die Hard Again, But Differently Than the Last Time Someone Died Hard.

Bruce is looking pretty long in the tooth.  Set in Moscow.  The hottie looked VERY hott in the one or two frames they gave.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on January 13, 2013, 02:57:29 PM

It was the weakest of the films.  I am, however, looking forward to the new one.  Now, dead Russians = good.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2013, 03:01:35 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 13, 2013, 02:57:29 PM

It was the weakest of the films.  I am, however, looking forward to the new one.  Now, dead Russians = good.
Well yeah, most modern sequels to storied franchises are the weakest.  But that doesn't make them bad.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Saw Django Unchained. I thought it was fun, though I still like Inglorious Basterds better.

One thing strick me as I was watching it:

[spoiler] Why did the two bounty hunters run the con at the end with Django playing the part of a savvy Black slaver in the Mandigo fighting trade? It would have been infinitely easier and less dangerous for the Doc to run the con on his own. [/spoiler]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Would it?  King turned out to be a bit of a loose cannon.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on January 13, 2013, 04:24:54 PM

Yeah several times he nearly gave the game away.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Perhaps, but King would not have been tempted to cut loose if the con hadn't come unravelled - and that was because [spoiler] complications resulting from Django meeting his wife. Also, at a couple of points Django comes close to losing his cool because of the way his wife was being treated - all of which was predictable - and the results of Django losing his cool were likely to be a lot worse than the results of King being unmasked - i.e., him pulling out his gun and blazing away. [/spoiler]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on January 13, 2013, 05:02:35 PM

Perhaps, but King would not have been tempted to cut loose if the con hadn't come unravelled - and that was because [spoiler] complications resulting from Django meeting his wife. Also, at a couple of points Django comes close to losing his cool because of the way his wife was being treated - all of which was predictable - and the results of Django losing his cool were likely to be a lot worse than the results of King being unmasked - i.e., him pulling out his gun and blazing away. [/spoiler]

I don't know - [spoiler]Django is the only reason the ruse wasn't given up during the dog attack scene. King was about ready to cry uncle and hardly looked the mandingo fighting enthusiast.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

On the other hand, [spoiler]he might have been able to buy her straight up using the German connection as his excuse.  The problem is that without the mandingo fighting, he doesn't have an excuse to go to Candieland and meet her.[/spoiler]

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2013, 05:13:23 PM
I don't know - [spoiler]Django is the only reason the ruse wasn't given up during the dog attack scene. King was about ready to cry uncle and hardly looked the mandingo fighting enthusiast.[/spoiler]

He'd have just looked like a soft-hearted idiot - and he did anyway. I dunno that it would have ruined the con if [spoiler] he bought that runaway off the hook [/spoiler]

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on January 13, 2013, 05:25:57 PM
On the other hand, [spoiler]he might have been able to buy her straight up using the German connection as his excuse.  The problem is that without the mandingo fighting, he doesn't have an excuse to go to Candieland and meet her.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]No way he'd have interesed Candie in buying a piffling $300 slave, though. Not worth his time. Candi would have smelled a rat if they offered serious cash for her.

They needed the Mandingo bait-and-switch (or something of the sort). What they didn't need, was Django's presence. [/spoiler]

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on January 13, 2013, 05:35:28 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 13, 2013, 05:25:57 PM
[spoiler]No way he'd have interesed Candie in buying a piffling $300 slave, though. Not worth his time. Candi would have smelled a rat if they offered serious cash for her.

They needed the Mandingo bait-and-switch (or something of the sort). What they didn't need, was Django's presence. [/spoiler]
[spoiler]I think that the German thing might have worked.[/spoiler]

CountDeMoney

:lol:  It's like FBI files from 40 years ago around here.

Definitely going to have to see that movie tomorrow without fail.