TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 07, 2013, 06:02:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2013, 05:55:29 PM
good wins the day.  See Jackie Brown,

Bail bondsmen never win the day.   :(

Seems hollywood always portrays Bail Bondsmen as seedy characters with always one foot in the grave.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

When I was out in Monterey, I happened to see a "Bond Girls Bail Bonds" storefront...

Viking

Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2013, 08:44:01 PM

Seems hollewood always protrays Bail Bondsmen as seedy characters with always one foot in the grave.

Not that I recommend the movie, but this is a case of hollywood portraying the bail bondswoman as a ditzy blonde.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2013, 08:44:01 PM
Seems hollewood always protrays Bail Bondsmen as seedy characters with always one foot in the grave.

I knew a couple of dead ones, but that's because they always had one hand with a double cheeseburger in it.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on January 07, 2013, 05:42:35 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 07, 2013, 02:27:18 AM
Reservoir Dogs.  Pulp Fiction, for Vincent Vega and in all likelihood Mia Wallace.  Inglorious Basterds, for 1/2 the cast.  And presumably the ladies in Death Proof are spending twenty to life in a TN state pen.
I haven't seen Death Proof.  I'll give you Reservoir Dogs.  Vince was the bad guy in Pulp Fiction.  The Basterds killed the Nazis and won the war, which is a good end.

Yeah I think that what Ide was missing the point that generally, though it may be a long and bloody path with significant conflicts, good wins the day.  See Jackie Brown, Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill.

I thought the point was that good wins without dying itself, which is negated often enough that I don't think you can say it's a rule.

Neil makes a good point that Vega can be seen as the bad guy, although I'm not sure he's supposed to be a bad guy (because everybody's bad, even Butch), more than the blind guy--although for Pulp Fiction that's where good and bad seems to come in.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Nor in Jackie Brown.  YAY I RISKED MY LIFE AND PRISON TIME FOR TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS AND NO SEX AWESOME.

Appropriately so, but still, I wanted more for old Max.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

"The Wrong Man"

Hitchcock film based on a true story of a man (Henry Fonda) wrongfully accused of robbery.

Fantastic direction by Hitchcock, and portrayal of a man's desperation at going through the investigation/booking process.

A bit odd (probably just to me), however, by Col. Klink (Werner Klemperer) as a psychologist treating Fonda's slowly-going-crazy wife.  :D

But, quite a good film.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on January 07, 2013, 10:31:21 PM
I thought the point was that good wins without dying itself, which is negated often enough that I don't think you can say it's a rule.

Neil makes a good point that Vega can be seen as the bad guy, although I'm not sure he's supposed to be a bad guy (because everybody's bad, even Butch), more than the blind guy--although for Pulp Fiction that's where good and bad seems to come in.
Vega died because he couldn't make the choice that Jules did.  He loved his heroin and his murder-for-hire and being the tyranny of evil men.

Why do you think Mia Wallace died?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Well that would be an odd point to make considering that both Basterds and Django featured good people dying. I could be wrong but the point was that good ultimately prevails. Hence why my cousin was wrong in thinking that [spoiler]we'd see Jamie Foxx die at the hands of that Shield member and thus Django Unchained[/spoiler] as Tarantino isn't in for going that bleak.  The good might see losses along the way but will eventually gratify our sensibilities by literally turning evil into a bloody mess.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Exactly.  Tarantino doesn't do bleak, and especially not in a movie about giving the finger to slavery and the South in general.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on January 07, 2013, 10:56:57 PM

Vega died because he couldn't make the choice that Jules did.  He loved his heroin and his murder-for-hire and being the tyranny of evil men.

Why do you think Mia Wallace died?

As a drug addict and wife to an underboss, she has two vectors from which she might have reached an unpleasant end.  But it's not really suggested, you're right.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Neil on January 07, 2013, 11:03:35 PM
Exactly.  Tarantino doesn't do bleak, and especially not in a movie about giving the finger to slavery and the South in general.

Yeah I think both of his last films were rather intellectually lazy as they relied on easily defined heroes and universally terrible villains.  Apart from [spoiler]antagonizing the viewer with the meta-entertainment of the mandingo fight and slave ripped apart by dogs[/spoiler], the volumes of Kill Bill were more rigorous. (Given that there was little to make us side with Beatrix Kiddo's revenge, apart from being told to.)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Ah, OK.  I see what you mean about her hazarous lifestyle, but that's like saying that Han probably died after Return of the Jedi while joyriding through hyperspace.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2013, 11:09:25 PM

Yeah I think both of his last films were rather intellectually lazy as they relied on easily defined heroes and universally terrible villains.  Apart from [spoiler]antagonizing the viewer with the meta-entertainment of the mandingo fight and slave ripped apart by dogs[/spoiler], the volumes of Kill Bill were more rigorous. (Given that there was little to make us side with Beatrix Kiddo's revenge, apart from being told to.)
What I found interesting is that scene wasn't really that horrifying to us, as the audience was mostly shielded from the actual act.  It was far worse when Schultz was obsessing over it, which I think increased the impact and put us into the character's head.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on January 07, 2013, 11:12:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2013, 11:09:25 PM

What I found interesting is that scene wasn't really that horrifying to us, as the audience was mostly shielded from the actual act.  It was far worse when Schultz was obsessing over it, which I think increased the impact and put us into the character's head.

Totally agree for the second which was then underlined when we got the slightly more graphic flashback. The first was pretty dreadful and really hit me with - "the characters are doing this for entertainment and we're watching this movie for entertainment...do we find that entertaining?"