News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I :wub: The Black Hole, still my favorite live-action Disney flick.  I remember seeing that in the movie theater with my Dad and sister.

Syt

One of my favorite movies as a kid. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Gotta say I'm really enjoying Downton Abbey. The dowager countess is a hoot.

Octavian

Watched Ted

Reminded me of Family Guy. 8/10
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Josephus

The Beaver where Mel Gibson plays a depressed man who talks to his furry beaver. Not half as good as that sounded.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

I watched the first half of The Abyss before the noise in the room drove me to despair.
Seemed rather good, would like to see more.

Quote from: Ideologue on January 03, 2013, 09:38:24 PM

I'm a cautiously enthusiastic Wes Anderson fan--Moonrise Kingdom is a new favorite, and Royal Tanenbaums, Life Aquatic, and Rushmore are all great, but Darjeeling Unlimited is one of the worst movies I've seen to be made by otherwise highly talented people--but I still need to see this.

Rushmore and the Royal Tenbaums are awesome. When I saw them I thought I was a fan.
Moonrise Kingdom was quite thoroughly meh however despite all the ingredients being there to make it good. Which has to count against it in a big way.
Bottle Rocket was also pretty naff.
Mr Fox just irritated me hugely. The colours, the sound effects...it was like the magic round about gone very very wrong.

On Highlander: You nay sayers are wrong. It is truly fantastic. One of the movies of the 80s. But then I am a Queen fan.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

The Black Hole was scary.

Ice Pirates kicked all kinds of ass.
PDH!

The Brain

Highlander is great. Clancy Brown. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

the hobbit- hmm..... certainly a great collection of scenes. it was good. as a film though..... I dunno if it would entirely hold together for those who havent read up on the Tolkienverse.
and oh is it bloated. the framing story was long and pointless. before hand I was sceptical of this three film approach, my money grab complaints have really been solidified.
other minor moans....Gandalf does his angry voice too much and the background string music grates. it's just so samey and doesn't really fit. for a lot of it there's a problem of trying to shoehorn in lotr stuff into this kids story. kind of strange to see this kids adventure silliness given the life movies more adult tone. for instance how stupid it is that the dwarfs keep getting captured in those ways.

██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on January 04, 2013, 10:41:06 AM
I watched the first half of The Abyss before the noise in the room drove me to despair.
Seemed rather good, would like to see more.

Quote from: Ideologue on January 03, 2013, 09:38:24 PM

I'm a cautiously enthusiastic Wes Anderson fan--Moonrise Kingdom is a new favorite, and Royal Tanenbaums, Life Aquatic, and Rushmore are all great, but Darjeeling Unlimited is one of the worst movies I've seen to be made by otherwise highly talented people--but I still need to see this.

Rushmore and the Royal Tenbaums are awesome. When I saw them I thought I was a fan.
Moonrise Kingdom was quite thoroughly meh however despite all the ingredients being there to make it good. Which has to count against it in a big way.

Aw, that's a shame.  I feel completely differently.  I felt like those two kids were probably Anderson's best-realized characters, maybe because while they were weird as shit they may be his only two protagonists that weren't obviously and probably permanently broken.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Dudes, help me remember something.  I believe I recall watching a movie this year, and although it may not have come out this year I think it did, where a young girl character is having fantasy sequences about going to an island.  The sequences recall a stage set and are vaguely Where the Wild Things Are-y, and the creature she eventually meets is kinda creepy.  Also notable about these sequences is 1)I think the part where she goes to the island is near the end or even after the credits and 2)the film is otherwise pretty serious, so this childlike aesthetic is juxtaposed pretty sharply against some actual shit.

This is bugging the crap out of me.  I don't think it's Sinister, but I can't remember watching any other movies with a young girl, or even kids in general.

Edit: nevermind, it's The Woman (2011, in point of fact).  Makes sense why I thought it was Sinister, now.  That movie is so fucked up.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 05, 2013, 12:35:45 AM
I felt like those two kids were probably Anderson's best-realized characters, maybe because while they were weird as shit they may be his only two protagonists that weren't obviously and probably permanently broken.

The two best-realized characters, and even the scout kids, at the expense of the adults.  With 20 more minutes, they could've been fleshed out more.

Although, the more I've watched it, the more I feel Life Aquatic exceeds The Royal Tennenbaums.  And Jeff Goldblum's character is hilarious.  "I fold."  *BANG*

CountDeMoney

Wooties, just scored awesome symphony seats for Alexander Nevsky next week at the BSO.

Tonitrus

"Safety Not Guaranteed"

Based off a silly premise, obviously...but I rather enjoyed it.

Syt

A day late, but still . . .

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.