News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on October 02, 2012, 06:59:33 PM
What would be good films to show my students?
Back to the Future and Harry Potter work but they've seen them a bazillion times.

Faris Beuhler's Day Off.  Caddyshack.  Animal House.  Groundhog Day.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Killer Klowns from Outer Space.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

Now you know for sure that we're no longer serious.  :P

But I actually think "Gung Ho" would be good...you got the Japanese/American cultural clash, examples of confusion from awkward english usage ("between a rock, and a hard on"), etc.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 02, 2012, 08:11:10 PM
But I actually think "Gung Ho" would be good...you got the Japanese/American cultural clash, examples of confusion from awkward english usage ("between a rock, and a hard on"), etc.

If he's going to do that, might as well go with "Mr. Baseball".  No Pearl Harbor references.  :lol:

sbr

That was on over the weekend and I caught the end of it.  I really like that movie.  :blush:

Gung Ho that is, not Electric Boogaloo.

Syt

Back to the Future and Harry Potter work but they've seen them a bazillion times.

Withnail and I
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Oldboy.  The lesson is to not be a gossip.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Ramen Girl.

Midway.
PDH!

Josquius

Groundhog Day is actually a pretty good suggestion. Quite universal humour- I loved it as a kid and as an adult.
I'm just looking for good films that immature teenagers would like in general, not something especially relevant to Japan. :p
I'm wondering if they would get Scott Pilgrim, I do talk about video games with them....
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on October 03, 2012, 08:06:35 AM
I'm wondering if they would get Scott Pilgrim, I do talk about video games with them....

That's an interesting choice, but would a lot of the references from an earlier generation of gamers translate well?  "Hey, it's that one guy", etc.

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 08:09:08 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 03, 2012, 08:06:35 AM

That's an interesting choice, but would a lot of the references from an earlier generation of gamers translate well?  "Hey, it's that one guy", etc.
Yeah, thats the thing, its probally a bit much my generation. Though they do play SNES emulators and of course a lot of stuff is timeless.
They wouldn't get the music side of things at all though.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Coming soon to a theater near you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robopocalypse
Only disapointment: Anne Hathaway. 

edit: spelling mistake.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 03, 2012, 03:27:32 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 03, 2012, 03:08:59 PM
Only disapointment: Anne Hattaway.

Homo.

Unlikely. She was in Devil Wears Prada & Brokeback so we know how to spell her name. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.