TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

My turds adapt better than Snyder.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2012, 09:40:17 PM
But he knows how to adapt a comic book to the screen.  He's the master of that niche.
Disagree.  He knows how to badly and simplistically copy comic books into turgid films for anyone who doesn't have a deep love of the original.

I'm still bitter that the Terry Gilliam adaptation of Watchmen got canned <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2012, 10:03:51 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2012, 09:40:17 PM
But he knows how to adapt a comic book to the screen.  He's the master of that niche.
Disagree.  He knows how to badly and simplistically copy comic books into turgid films for anyone who doesn't have a deep love of the original.

Indeed. :wub:  Why do you hate purity?

Although in some regards he (or the screenwriter, with Snyder's approval) improved Watchmen's ending.

QuoteI'm still bitter that the Terry Gilliam adaptation of Watchmen got canned <_<

Oh Christ, I imagine it would've been awful.  Gilliam is alright, but if you want the definition of a turgid film, go watch The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zoupa

2004   Dawn of the Dead   
2007   300   
2009   Watchmen   
2010   Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole   
2011   Sucker Punch   
2013   Man of Steel

I've seen Dawn of the dead, which was bad. 300, which was worse. Watchmen, passable. Sucker Punch, really, really, really bad.

Overall I'd say he sucks donkey balls.

mongers

The third and presumably last episode in the current Sherlock series, was thoroughly enjoyable; i do like the gradual drip, drip character development or should I say revelations.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2012, 10:05:27 PM
Oh Christ, I imagine it would've been awful.  Gilliam is alright, but if you want the definition of a turgid film, go watch The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen.
It would have been a magnificent, extraordinary, monumentally flawed masterpiece like almost everything Gilliam's made.  Which would be better than any Snyder will ever manage.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Zoupa on January 15, 2012, 10:06:15 PM
2004   Dawn of the Dead   
2007   300   
2009   Watchmen   
2010   Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole   
2011   Sucker Punch   
2013   Man of Steel

I've seen Dawn of the dead, which was bad. 300, which was worse. Watchmen, passable. Sucker Punch, really, really, really bad.

Overall I'd say he sucks donkey balls.

I've only missed Sucker Punch and the one about CGI owls.

Tell you what, if Sucker Punch blows, I'll reassess my opinion.  After all, when I have expectations from a creator, it's not hard to disappoint me.  See also: Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience. :bleeding:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2012, 10:05:27 PM
I wouldn't go that far.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2012, 10:05:27 PMGilliam is alright, but if you want the definition of a turgid film, go watch The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen.

:hug:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on January 15, 2012, 10:36:20 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2012, 10:05:27 PMGilliam is alright, but if you want the definition of a turgid film, go watch The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen.

:hug:

Come on, that early scene with Sting and the Revolutionary Committee was sublime.

Habbaku

I pulled a Yi and only watched the first half, to be fair.  That scene was great, but I struggled past Robin Williams and turned it off after.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on January 15, 2012, 10:06:46 PM
The third and presumably last episode in the current Sherlock series, was thoroughly enjoyable; i do like the gradual drip, drip character development or should I say revelations.  :bowler:
Did you enjoy the first?
I haven't bothered with the other two since the first one was so dull.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: Zoupa on January 15, 2012, 10:06:15 PM
2007   300   

This movie is not allowed to be watched at my house. Nor is it allowed to exsist in any form at my residence.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on January 15, 2012, 10:41:10 PM
I pulled a Yi and only watched the first half, to be fair.  That scene was great, but I struggled past Robin Williams and turned it off after.

Robin Williams was the weakest part of the movie.

At the very least you owe it to yourself to watch the young Uma Thurmond as Venus rising from the depths.

Josquius

I really don't get the massive hate 300 draws. I thought it was great.
██████
██████
██████