And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: frunk on December 01, 2011, 08:33:51 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 01, 2011, 03:58:31 AM
The Muppets. :thumbsup:  Very much enoyed it.  Would highly recommend to anyone who has fond memories of the show or the Muppets in general.

I have to ask, the sad mopiness that was 3/4 of the movie didn't get to you?  Yeah, when the Muppets were doing their thing it was great (the barber scene was fantastic) but most of the time the cast just mooned for the old days, or each other.
As Viking said, it reminded me of The Blues Brothers to some degree in terms of getting the band back together if you will.  I really wouldn't say it was overly drenched in the "sad mopiness" that you  think, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I thought it was a nice balance of reminiscing over the old days, the old characters popping back up, humor, and the occasional sad moment, all wrapped up in the traditional Muppet style of greatness.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

frunk

***SPOILERS***

Other than the occasional musical number the characters were almost all pining, sometimes painfully so, for the first hour of the running time.  Gary pined for the return of the Muppet Show.  Mary pined for Gary.  Walter pined to find his place in the Muppets.  Kermit and Miss Piggy not so secretly pined for each other.  Fozzie pined for the better days.  Gonzo pined for his wilder days.  Except for the evil businessman every single character when they were introduced was full of longing for something or someone.  It bugged the hell out of me, felt horribly one note, killed any developing momentum and was pretty depressing.

It annoyed me because when they got to putting on the Muppet Show it really was awesome.  A lot of great bits both on and off the stage and hitting that madcap feel that was missing earlier.

Sophie Scholl

/shrug  I thought it was more about establishing where the characters were coming from and what they were looking for.  I didn't feel as if I was drowning in it.  I'm glad you at least enjoyed the latter portion.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

So...Dexter.... went all fight clubby  didn't it? It sure explains the professor's ability to get everywhere. But...why did the guy kill his sister? A genuine split personality psychopath it seems...
The current series of Dexter...I'm not big on. From the start it seemed a bit by the book nth series stuff- oh so we're doing religion this series, look, a previously unmentioned family member suddenly appears, etc...
Also I miss the monster (killer) of the week episodes. We haven't had much of that at all this year.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on December 02, 2011, 02:16:02 AM
So...Dexter.... went all fight clubby  didn't it? It sure explains the professor's ability to get everywhere. But...why did the guy kill his sister? A genuine split personality psychopath it seems...
The current series of Dexter...I'm not big on. From the start it seemed a bit by the book nth series stuff- oh so we're doing religion this series, look, a previously unmentioned family member suddenly appears, etc...
Also I miss the monster (killer) of the week episodes. We haven't had much of that at all this year.

I agree, I like the Harry Code episodes. We just had one, the nebraska one. But, then again, Harry as the Dark Passenger is the biggest departure from the books, which were fun to read, but post-lilly dexter isn't quite the same thing.

But... I think Jeff Lindsey (the guy who writes the books) might be concerned that he might cause crazy people to kill people. Dexter has been reference by both ABB and the hireling in a kidnap/murder for hire that happened recently as well. In a recent interview with Lindsey I read in a newspaper here he asserted that Dexter is a fucking nutcase, just in case any of us started to have sympathy with him. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

Tower Heist

Not terrible, not great.  Mildy amusing overall.

Eddie Murphy's best performance in many years, but that's still not saying much.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on December 02, 2011, 02:16:02 AM

Agreed. It's not the best season...and I figured out the "twist" from the last episode a while ago. Why did he kill his sister? Cause he saw her talking to Dexter's sister, remember?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 02, 2011, 02:38:05 AM
Eddie Murphy's best performance in many years, but that's still not saying much.

Isn't it his first paying gig in about 5 years?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 02, 2011, 08:15:22 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 02, 2011, 02:38:05 AM

Isn't it his first paying gig in about 5 years?

Nope.

Quote2006    Dreamgirls    James 'Thunder' Early
Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor
Central Ohio Film Critics Association for Best Supporting Actor
Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture
Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Nominated – Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor
Nominated – Black Reel Award: Best Supporting Actor
Nominated – Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor
Nominated – NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Nominated – Online Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor
Nominated – Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor
Nominated – Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

2007    Norbit    Norbit Rice/Rasputia Latimore-Rice/Mr. Wong    Razzie Award

Shrek the Third    Donkey    (voice)
Kids' Choice Award for Favorite Voice from an Animated Movie

2008    Meet Dave    Starship Dave Ming-Chang (Spacecraft), Captain    

2009    Imagine That    Evan Danielson    

2010    Shrek Forever After    Donkey    (voice)
Kids' Choice Award for Favorite Voice from an Animated Movie

2011    Tower Heist    Leo "Slide" Dalphael

Admiral Yi

I was pretty close on actual face time. :whistle:

Ideologue

Fun fact: Meet Dave was co-written Bill Corbett. :wacko:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on December 02, 2011, 08:14:24 AM
Agreed. It's not the best season...and I figured out the "twist" from the last episode a while ago. Why did he kill his sister? Cause he saw her talking to Dexter's sister, remember?

Well, he's nuts. In dexterverse speek he has a dark passenger that he externalizes and submits to. His problem is that Passenger Gellar is even more nuts and has a divine command leviticus attitude to god. Gellar probably was a dick to him in tutorials.

BTW, I was on to Gellar as Dark passenger almost immediately, since Gellar never touched anything.

BTW, one thing I noticed about "The Atheist Professor" is that in his "lecture" he merely talked about the charicature of atheists as presented by anti-atheists.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

QuoteCentral Ohio Film Critics Association for Best Supporting Actor

PRESTIGIOUS.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Central Ohio is the most prestigious part of Ohio.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on December 02, 2011, 02:48:18 PM
Central Ohio is the most prestigious part of Ohio.

All hail Zanesville!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive