And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on November 16, 2011, 08:26:42 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 15, 2011, 10:56:31 PM
You refuse to believe that zombies that have no outside stimulus will be silent rather than just randomly make noise?

Yes. They were banging pretty heavily on them doors. And traditionally they groan a lot.
Didn't they just start the banging after they saw the guy?

And...I suppose the farm is pretty big, maybe they never went anywhere near that barn?
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 17, 2011, 09:23:02 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 17, 2011, 12:09:29 AM
Let's not exaggerate  :glare:

SSRIs work for most people. Side effects are just that, SIDE effects. The main effects are what's important.

Weight gain and sexual side effects affect a substantial majority of people who take SSRIs.  And I think there's some doubt that they are even effective for people in the middle range of symptoms.

A substantial majority means way over 50% of people who take them. I don't mean to be a bitch, but that's simply not true.

Razgovory

I don't know the side effects statistics for these drugs.  I know I've faced both sexual side effects and weight gain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Is Contagion any good?
I've a chance to go see it tonight. In theory it sounds like it should be good nonetheless reading about it....I'm left kinda cold.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Zoupa on November 17, 2011, 09:57:38 PM
A substantial majority means way over 50% of people who take them. I don't mean to be a bitch, but that's simply not true.

You're not being a bitch at all, and you are probably right on the individual side effects. But I'd guess that if you took the percentage of people who suffer sexual dysfunction, weight gain, and suicidality together, you'd easily pass 50%.  Never mind the discontinuation (or forgetting to take a dose) "zaps."

And I think the dosages are crucial for evaluating the side effects.; yeah, 10mg of citalopram might not be a big deal, but 60mg probably is (and was for me). 

But more pertintently, what's up with Seroquel?  Atypical antipsychotics for insomnia/anxiety at doses low enough where they function as massive antihistamines?   :huh:  They seem to want to prescribe it for everything under the sun.  Knocks you out real good, but it takes 3 hours to wake up in the morning.  And those fuckers got a pediatric extension until next year so I pay 35$ a script.   :glare:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Video about the college education bubble that degenerated into gold/silver retardation prior to me turning it the fuck off. :bleeding:

I wonder if these guys are actually speaking in code and when they say "precious metal" they mean "firearms."  At least that would be a rational response to their paranoid predictions.  If a collapse of civilization ever does come, these maroons are going to be the Aztecs to the reasonable people's Hernan Cortez.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2011, 06:06:56 AM
I wonder if these guys are actually speaking in code and when they say "precious metal" they mean "firearms."  At least that would be a rational response to their paranoid predictions.  If a collapse of civilization ever does come, these maroons are going to be the Aztecs to the reasonable people's Hernan Cortez.

:huh:

The survivalist nutters are already the ones with the guns, man. They'd be much better situated than a "reasonable person" if that were to happen.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Watched the latest Homeland last nite.

Now that's twist & finally some fucking explanations.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Watched an episode of the League last night. Always avoided it because of the fantasy football thingy, but I was feeling lazy.

Quite possibly the filthiest show I've ever seen outside of pay cable.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zoupa

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 18, 2011, 03:03:42 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 17, 2011, 09:57:38 PM

You're not being a bitch at all, and you are probably right on the individual side effects. But I'd guess that if you took the percentage of people who suffer sexual dysfunction, weight gain, and suicidality together, you'd easily pass 50%.  Never mind the discontinuation (or forgetting to take a dose) "zaps."

And I think the dosages are crucial for evaluating the side effects.; yeah, 10mg of citalopram might not be a big deal, but 60mg probably is (and was for me). 

But more pertintently, what's up with Seroquel?  Atypical antipsychotics for insomnia/anxiety at doses low enough where they function as massive antihistamines?   :huh:  They seem to want to prescribe it for everything under the sun.  Knocks you out real good, but it takes 3 hours to wake up in the morning.  And those fuckers got a pediatric extension until next year so I pay 35$ a script.   :glare:

You might be right if you combine all the side effects. Still, ssris are the most refilled category of medications in Canada (I don't know the stats for the US), better observance than cholesterol or diabetes pills. So they must be helping a lot of people.

It's strange, but yeah I noticed a big increase in seroquel low-dose over the last 2 years let's say. Must be a new fad. Psychs seem to think the number you get, the less crazy. Kinda stinks to me. I'm a big believer in ECT, as it has consistently shown it's the best way to treat almost anything brain-chemical-imbalance related. Good luck finding a doc willing to try it though.

Admiral Yi

Saw the second half of The American last night.  Pretty slow paced.  If you like shots of George Clooney looking nervous and tense, or footage of narrow cobblestoned Italian alleys, this movie is for you.

Eye candy is good though.  Both the Italian love interest and the chick with the guns.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2011, 08:20:45 PM
Saw the second half of The American last night.  Pretty slow paced.  If you like shots of George Clooney looking nervous and tense, or footage of narrow cobblestoned Italian alleys, this movie is for you.

Eye candy is good though.  Both the Italian love interest and the chick with the guns.

Thekla Reuten (the actress playing the chick with guns) is also very good in Hidden
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2011, 06:22:04 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2011, 06:06:56 AM

:huh:

The survivalist nutters are already the ones with the guns, man. They'd be much better situated than a "reasonable person" if that were to happen.

You ever read "The Postman".  The average survivalist was the first to go.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2011, 08:37:48 PM
You ever read "The Postman".  The average survivalist was the first to go.

No, but I'm pretty sure it's a work of speculative fiction. I may have seen the movie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?