Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on October 23, 2011, 11:01:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2011, 10:55:23 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 23, 2011, 02:36:02 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 23, 2011, 02:32:54 AM
Clock Punk?
Just looked it up.  Apparently like Steampunk, but set during the Renaissance period and using clockwork and gear powered inventions of an advanced nature instead of steam powered.
"Punk" and "Renaissance" don't seem to naturally go together in my mind.  I have a hard time imagining the Sex Pistols in 15th century Florence.
A lot of people seem to forget the 'punk' part of steampunk, cyberpunk and 'clockpunk'.  If you're not fighting 'The Man', it's not the right genre.
Odd comment coming from someone who always sides with 'The Man'.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 11, 2011, 04:37:50 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 23, 2011, 02:25:08 AM
The approaching three musketeers film deserves some credit for being the first Clock Punk film.
That I know of anyway.
It does look potentially bad though.
The 2nd Hellboy movie had Clock Punk villains.
No it didn't.  'Punk' is a critical part of 'clockpunk'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 11, 2011, 04:42:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 23, 2011, 11:01:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2011, 10:55:23 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 23, 2011, 02:36:02 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 23, 2011, 02:32:54 AM
Clock Punk?
Just looked it up.  Apparently like Steampunk, but set during the Renaissance period and using clockwork and gear powered inventions of an advanced nature instead of steam powered.
"Punk" and "Renaissance" don't seem to naturally go together in my mind.  I have a hard time imagining the Sex Pistols in 15th century Florence.
A lot of people seem to forget the 'punk' part of steampunk, cyberpunk and 'clockpunk'.  If you're not fighting 'The Man', it's not the right genre.
Odd comment coming from someone who always sides with 'The Man'.
Why is that an odd comment?  Just because I side with the forces of law and order doesn't mean that I don't know how to define things.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Curiously, in recently discovered copies of some of Leonardo De Vinci's note books it appears that he actually invented The Clash centuries before the British reinvented it in the 1970's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Rifftrax of THOR.  Better than the movie without the traxx.
PDH!

Queequeg

QuoteEDIT:  It also may be the nadir of the treatment of the Holocaust in popular culture.  It's success seems to say:  if you want to make a movie about the joys of graphically torturing and killing human beings, just make it vengeance for the Holocaust and nobody can really criticize it.  When it is the same attitudes of celebrating brutality that enabled the Holocaust in the first place.     Genuinely saddening from a talented director and cast with tons of Hollywood money at their disposal.
The final scene-where the Nazi leadership, together with their wives, mistresses and presumably family, is locked in a room and burned to death-made me feel physically ill. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

I'm watching the second series of Pete Vs. Life.
It...it...is quite funny yet....the way it so closely follows the sitcom plot cliche every episode annoys me.
So many sitcoms seem to follow this pattern way too much- loser guy gets a new lucky break, has a few encounters with different people, everything seems to be going well, till oh no, all the encounters come together in a very unlikely and disasterous way which sends him back to supreme loserdom.
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Quote from: Queequeg on November 12, 2011, 04:09:43 PM
QuoteEDIT:  It also may be the nadir of the treatment of the Holocaust in popular culture.  It's success seems to say:  if you want to make a movie about the joys of graphically torturing and killing human beings, just make it vengeance for the Holocaust and nobody can really criticize it.  When it is the same attitudes of celebrating brutality that enabled the Holocaust in the first place.     Genuinely saddening from a talented director and cast with tons of Hollywood money at their disposal.
The final scene-where the Nazi leadership, together with their wives, mistresses and presumably family, is locked in a room and burned to death-made me feel physically ill.

:rolleyes:

Habsburg

Martha Marcy May Marlene (Durkin 2011)

Pretty astounding freshman work from Durkin, centered with a great turn by Olsen.
Atmospheric and haunting work. Well acted and well shot.  It's no Winter's Bone, but a good ride. 80/100.

Darth Wagtaros

Scott Pilgrim Versus the World. Awesome.

Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny. Too weird for words.
PDH!

Ideologue

Did you watch the Rifftrax, Wags?

Even with Mike, Kevin and Bill, that movie gave me a headache.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Watched The Way Back. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1023114/

Supposedly based on the true story of a 1941 breakout from a gulag and the escapees' trek to India. Pretty good.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Rifftrax.  Yes.  Fucking insane.  The Thumbelina girl was fairly attractive though.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2011, 09:17:59 AM
Watched The Way Back. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1023114/

Supposedly based on the true story of a 1941 breakout from a gulag and the escapees' trek to India. Pretty good.

It's not a true story.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 13, 2011, 07:54:50 AM
Scott Pilgrim Versus the World. Awesome.

Incredibly awesome, on multiple levels after repeated viewings.