News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

On Ted Lasso, I think S3 is the weakest. The first half (with Zava, and till Amsterdam) I thought was quite good. After Amsterdam it felt increasingly disjointed, like they rushed very quickly through all the things they wanted to do (esp. with Nate).

I thought the individual episodes were still good comfort food, but the overall narrative started slacking a lot IMO.

The final episode was mostly sweet and wrapped up many loose ends in its epilogue. It had strong, "Time to move on" energy, which I think was appropriate, and while I guess the season might have benefitted from maybe a few more episodes to give all character stories the necessary room, I'm also happy if they wrap it up here instead of trying to stretch it out beyond its expiration date. Not exactly The Good Place in terms of sticking the landing but satisfying enough for me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

OK, I enjoyed the last episode of Ted Lasso.  I'm in court today, so I'm just going point form.

-so I called "the mask of Zorro", though I liked it more when it was a bit more subtle

-I read in a review that someone on the writing staff must really like musical theatre.  I think the "So long, farewell" musical bit pretty much answered that

-OK, so I did not call Roy Kent as the next manager.

-Again, I like how the show is not afraid to gloss over what might seem like important plot points.  Rupert's sexual harassment was mentioned, but never in detail.  Or Nate coming back to the team...

-OK so Nate coming back to the team was a given.  But as assistant kit man?  That just seems cruel.  He had surely proven himself as a top football manager/coach.  So surely he'd be at least an assistant coach (which was his last job at Richmond)?

-it amused me how Michelle's boyfriend (the therapist - forget his name) was so uninterested in soccer

-I laughed hard when West Ham scored, yet Ted casually said "oh he was offside".  Such a simple joke, but took years in the making.  I still don't understand soccer offsides, but I know hockey offsides.  I played hockey with a guy, Patty, last winter.  It was the first time he'd ever played hockey.  He went offsides CONSTANTLY at first.  But now he finally gets it - and he'll even comment when someone else is offsides.

-the Rebecca as mom - seems like they cheaped out on it.  She meets the Dutch guy, who has a daughter.  Woo.

-I think I called Beard going out on his own.  Still they glided on past Jane being toxic to just being quirky.

-it goes against the feel good ending, but you have to wonder what happens to Ted afterwards.  I mean he started as a joke but established himself as a legit soccer coach, taking his team from relegation to the Champions League. (or the Championship to the Champions League, as he pointed out).  Even if not in England he'd be a prime candidate for an MLS team.  Or he could probably take another college football job.  But that would almost certainly mean leaving Kansas City and his son.  Coaching is a profession that means moving a lot, even if you don't move across the ocean.

-Keeley not ending up with either Roy or Jamie was probably the best choice, but yet again it feels like they rushed that storyline quite quickly

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

A B5 animated movie, Babylon 5: The Road Home is being released this summer, as reported by theHollywood Reporter

QuoteReturning Babylon 5 castmembers include Bruce Boxleitner as John Sheridan, Claudia Christian as Susan Ivanova, Peter Jurasik as Londo Mollari, Bill Mumy as Lennier, Tracy Scoggins as Elizabeth Lochley and Patricia Tallman as Lyta Alexander.

JMS has been hinting at this for a while but couldn't reveal much because WB hadn't announced it yet.  The animation has been finished for a while, but it apparently took some time to find voice actors that were G'Kar enough and Delenn enough.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on June 03, 2023, 07:23:47 AMA B5 animated movie, Babylon 5: The Road Home is being released this summer, as reported by theHollywood Reporter

QuoteReturning Babylon 5 castmembers include Bruce Boxleitner as John Sheridan, Claudia Christian as Susan Ivanova, Peter Jurasik as Londo Mollari, Bill Mumy as Lennier, Tracy Scoggins as Elizabeth Lochley and Patricia Tallman as Lyta Alexander.

JMS has been hinting at this for a while but couldn't reveal much because WB hadn't announced it yet.  The animation has been finished for a while, but it apparently took some time to find voice actors that were G'Kar enough and Delenn enough.

please be good...

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 03, 2023, 08:24:47 AMplease be good...

JMS had complete creative control, so it should be good other than the pedestrian dialogue he seems stuck with.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I gave episode 1 of succession another go and got through it.
At one point near the end  the druggie son is talking to the Asian guy whose company he wants to buy and says the deal being offered is so good he has to accept it or else they'll take him to court....
Hows this?
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on June 03, 2023, 04:24:15 PMI gave episode 1 of succession another go and got through it.
At one point near the end  the druggie son is talking to the Asian guy whose company he wants to buy and says the deal being offered is so good he has to accept it or else they'll take him to court....
Hows this?

It's hyperbole.  Technically, since a corporation officer has a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders, an egregious breach might see the officer sued, but, short of an illegal action on the officer's part, I don't think that the shareholders could win the suit.

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on June 03, 2023, 09:30:22 AM

JMS had complete creative control, so it should be good other than the pedestrian dialogue he seems stuck with.
Yeah. I remember thinbking years ago that the perfect show would be JMS coming up with plot and overall direction while Joss Whedon handle'd scripting.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 04, 2023, 12:36:58 PM

Yeah. I remember thinbking years ago that the perfect show would be JMS coming up with plot and overall direction while Joss Whedon handle'd scripting.

It is possible that you were thinking that because I made a post to that effect here. :P

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Purple Rain (1984)

I saw this on the big screen; the stage shows of The Revolution and The Time (both at the peaks of their careers) are amazing in that format.  The rest of the movie is okay; most of the cast weren't professional actors and it shows.  Prince does the non-speaking scenes well; the part where he goes to his dressing room thinking that he'd just blown his chance after "Purple Rain" is impressive - his dialogue scenes are okay.  The rest of the band was wise to stick to music.  Jerome Benton and Morris Day are great; it's no surprise that they'd be back for "Under the Cherry Moon" and "Graffiti Bridge" respectively.

I was amused that Prince pronounces "Motherfucker" like a white man; especially since he'll go on to teach us ebonics in Under the Cherry Moon.

Prince and Apollonia ending up together after he slapped her around a couple times would be problematic today.  I'm surprised it wasn't more controversial back then (in fact "Darling Nicky" was the controversy; that's allegedly what set Tipper Gore off.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2023, 04:55:48 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 04, 2023, 12:36:58 PM

It is possible that you were thinking that because I made a post to that effect here. :P

:D

I was going to say, that thought seems familiar, just could not place where I had heard it before  :cheers:

Savonarola

Once Upon a Time in America (1982)

I didn't realize that young Deborah was Jennifer Connelly; even as a child actor she had quite a career.

I had forgotten how brutal the (second) rape scene was; it especially seems that way since it comes after the films two funniest scenes - the baby switching caper and the uhm... line up scene where Tuesday Weld tries to identify her assailant. 

I thought James Wood had a good point about his character's fate; even if that wasn't his character that jumped into the garbage truck, you still know what happens to him.  (Much like Jimmy Hoffa, even if you don't know the details, you know what happened to him.)

This is a great movie; but also a difficult movie (and, I think, ultimately a rewarding movie).  None of the major characters are likable; it has a really slow pace; and there's so much ambiguity that the viewer is forced to draw his own conclusions (what was Noodles doing for 35 years?  did the 1960s scenes happen at all or was it all an opium fueled dream?)  I think those all work out in the films favor, but it requires work by the viewer.

The costuming and sets are extraordinary and, while I prefer "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", Ennio Morricone delivers a great score.

The films greatest flaw is, despite being a film about Jewish mobsters and Unions, it's set in New York rather than Detroit.   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

I really enjoyed that movie.  The switching back and forth in time was very reminiscent of that technique as used in The Godfather Part 2.  The ambiguity of the characters and the plot worked out well, I think, in showing the ambiguity of America's treatment of organized crime in the era presented.  The only downside I saw was that the characters didn't seem much changed despite the length of time the story encompassed.

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Yes, I am aware.  On the optimistic side, Whedon will likely take any work he can get.
PDH!

garbon

The Idol

Huh, that was something.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.