News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on May 25, 2023, 09:41:21 PMBecause they're basically the same and refuse the admit it? :unsure: :P
:lol:

Just a big rivalry since the War of the Roses. And my impression is (I come from the Lancashire side of the Pennines) that Yorkshire is basically England's Texas :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

OK, so Ted Lasso Season 3, Episode 11 (the penultimate episode).   Spoilers ahead...

Again, the episode feels like it is too long yet too rushed also.  They clearly have an arc they want to tell, and the show is pretty clearly over after this season, but I feel like they should have gone one more season.  A lot of the storylines (that they closed off in Ep 11) feel like they could have gone longer.

No particular order:

-Ted finally moves back into the spotlight with Mamo Lasso showing up!  A nice portrayal of how the apple didn't fall far from the tree, but how that kind of sweet positiveness isn't always the most helpful.  Ted's "thank you / fuck you" speech actually did feel like well deserved character development.  Season 1 Ted would never have sworn at his mom like that.

-OMG we get Coach Beard's backstory!  Makes sense why he sticks with Ted even though he's clearly the brains of the operation.

-I missed this on first watch but saw in a review: the goalkeeper Van Damme, formerly known as Zorreau, was wearing a mask in the game because of his broken nose.  The mask of Zorreau if you will...

-I had to look it up but yes - the Man City manager is the real manager for Man City.  I guess I'd know that if I was a meaningful EPL fan.  The comments online I saw were that manager would never be so generous and thoughtful in defeat in real life.

-Jamie Tartt had some good scenes.  Nice echo in his substitution at the end of the game echoing back to season 1 in very different circumstances.

So what's left?

-Ted's news to Rebecca cliffhanger has to be that he's leaving, right?  I mean it's so obvious I wonder if there's some kind of swerve coming.

-there's still the psychic's "prophecy" and Rebecca's "motherhood".  There was that night with the dutchman, plus last week she was talking about a visitor that came every month unless you were pregnant - which turned out to be a wine delivery service.

-do they bother explaining what happened with Rupert and Nate at West Ham?  I mean the basics are pretty obvious already, and the writers of Ted Lasso sometimes give their audience credit for being able to figure things out without spelling them out.  And does Rupert really need any more of an arc at this point?  Rebecca has "won" by no longer needing to beat Rupert, Betz knows about Rupert's philandering.

-ok so Ted is going back to the US, but what about Beard?  And his relationship with Jane?  It was definitely shown to be rather toxic earlier on, but the writers have backed down on that side of things,, now showing it rather to just be weird (and that Beard is also a weird dude also).  Does he realize he's strong enough to move on without Ted, and stay at Richmond?

-does Richmond win the championship?  I'm leaning to "no" - after all Ted doesn't care about wins and losses (and neither, apparently, does Pep Guardiola).

-and Nate comes back to the team of course, but that's like 95% of the way there already so not much left.

-oh by the way - does Ted Crimm really have a story arc?  What has been the point of his character in this season (other than serving as a confidant with Colin)?

-and I guess - do Roy and Keeley wind up together?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

I agree pretty much with what you say BB exc...wait you don't call yourself Barrister Boy anymore, just noticed. I'll start again.

I agree pretty much with what you say B except I think they will win the League. This way Ted gets to leave a hero, everyone is happy, and like you said last week Nate gets to take over. Like you I feel the Nate/Rupert bit needs to be explained, and I've a feeling it will come out. I'm thinking Nate actually did something heroic that pissed Rupert off.

I liked the series, obviously, but I'm not shedding tears over it's finale. I think they've done all they've could with the main premise.

Can't believe you didn't recognize the coach, but I guess you don't follow soccer. Guardiola is one of the most succesful managers in soccer history. They actually reference him in the Amsterdam episode when Lasso was dreaming of total football. (Guardiola was part of that Barcelona team). The show , FWIW, brings in several other footballers like Ian Rush and Thierry Henry as part of the commentary team.

I didn't catch the Zorro reference. Nice one.

Like you I do think the shows run a little long. I've said my piece about Keeley's story arc before (booring).

I don't think anything will become of Crimm...I think if he had any use this year, he was "us" the audience, observers into the behind-the-scenes at Richmond. They may very well end the season with Crimm's book being displayed in bookstores.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 26, 2023, 12:47:35 PMI agree pretty much with what you say BB exc...wait you don't call yourself Barrister Boy anymore, just noticed. I'll start again.

Dude - I haven't used BarristerBoy since 2009?  Whenever we had to re-set all our accounts.  As I'm not in my late 40s I really don't feel like much of a "boy" anymore.  But BB still works just fine too. :hug:

QuoteI liked the series, obviously, but I'm not shedding tears over it's finale. I think they've done all they've could with the main premise.

I always like to remember that "Ted Lasso" started from some NBC Sports commercials from 8-10 years ago to promote the EPL on NBC Sports. That's a pretty thin premise for a show to be this good.

QuoteCan't believe you didn't recognize the coach, but I guess you don't follow soccer. Guardiola is one of the most succesful managers in soccer history. They actually reference him in the Amsterdam episode when Lasso was dreaming of total football. (Guardiola was part of that Barcelona team). The show , FWIW, brings in several other footballers like Ian Rush and Thierry Henry as part of the commentary team.

Yeah I knew the announcers were "real" people, but I also have no idea who they are.

QuoteLike you I do think the shows run a little long. I've said my piece about Keeley's story arc before (booring).

Keeley had an interesting story arc - going from a footballer's arm candy to being a strong independent woman (who still dresses in an exageratedly feminine way), but that was rather complete by the end of season 2, and now she's just been spinning her wheels.

Josephus

Fuck man, can't believe I never noticed that about Barrister Boy  :D

Next you'll be telling me CC is just Crazy.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

In Halifax they're always dropping articles.  It's not just hospital.

"Shall I call police?"  "I don't have choice."

Thank God we Americans showed up to save the language from this wreckage.

FunkMonk

The final episode of Succession is today.

Farewell, my friend. You will be missed. 
:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

One more day for us - but yeah. The election and funeral episodes were outstanding.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

He's BarristerMan now.

Though I only just now noticed myself.
PDH!

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 27, 2023, 10:05:54 PMThe final episode of Succession is today.

An ending fit for a king

Civis Romanus Sum

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on May 28, 2023, 08:53:41 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on May 27, 2023, 10:05:54 PMThe final episode of Succession is today.

An ending fit for a king

Yeah, it was good. Perfect send off for this group of characters.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 28, 2023, 11:25:49 AMHe's BarristerMan now.

BM :unsure: don't know ow if that's an improvement lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 29, 2023, 07:01:34 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 28, 2023, 08:53:41 PM

An ending fit for a king

Yeah, it was good. Perfect send off for this group of characters.

They all die in an helicopter crash?  :P

Will watch it this evening...

Eddie Teach

He used to be able to put an eye out, now his attack is of an olfactory nature.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 29, 2023, 07:08:13 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 28, 2023, 11:25:49 AMHe's BarristerMan now.

BM :unsure: don't know ow if that's an improvement lol

Please don't call me BM.  :cry: