And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

In case anyone wanted more derivative IP content.  :P

Quote'Game of Thrones' Dunk and Egg Prequel Officially Ordered to Series

The Game of Thrones empire is expanding once again: The network's streaming service — now called Max — has officially ordered to series a new prequel, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight.

The title is based on George R.R. Martin's popular trio of Dunk and Egg novellas, which chronicle the story of "Dunk" (the future Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, Ser Duncan the Tall) and "Egg" (the future king Aegon V Targaryen) as they wander Westeros having adventures roughly 100 years before the events of the novels. The project is the second prequel to officially get ordered to series, following House of the Dragon.

The description: "A century before the events of Game of Thrones, two unlikely heroes wandered Westeros ... a young, naïve but courageous knight, Ser Duncan the Tall, and his diminutive squire, Egg. Set in an age when the Targaryen line still holds the Iron Throne and the memory of the last dragon has not yet passed from living memory, great destinies, powerful foes and dangerous exploits all await these improbable and incomparable friends."

Martin himself will be writing on the show, with the author billed as an executive producer and writer alongside Dragon producer Ira Parker. Dragon showrunner Ryan Condal will executive produce, along with Martin's longtime business manger Vince Gerardis.

The project represents a different kind of Westeros tale than Thrones (pictured above) or Dragon. The other shows are sweeping war epics with sprawling ensemble casts that take place in multiple locations. The Dunk and Egg stories are more intimate two-handers with a bit of a lighter tone. The title also suggests another series in the "Wolf and Cub" genre of a protector and ward wandering a dangerous landscape in the wake of HBO's success with The Last of Us and Disney+'s The Mandalorian.

The Hedge Knight project was one of several put into development in hopes of adding to the company's post-GoT arsenal. HBO/Max chief Casey Bloys told reporters that others are still in active development.

The move follows the hugely successful launch of Dragon last year, which generated 29 million viewers per episode, according to HBO.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

I saw the press release about Warner relaunching (one more time) their streaming platform and every single piece of highlighted content were sequels, spinoffs or reboots FFS.  :lol:

Eddie Teach

The Man From Earth, aka Grumbler's life story.  ;) A professor tells colleagues at a going away party that he is a 14000 year old caveman and a minor religious figure. I enjoyed it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

Beef on Netflix. 99% Rotten Tomatoes score feels justified on basis of 1st episode

The Larch

Interesting period picture from 1934 in which as many violations of the Hays code as possible were included.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on April 13, 2023, 03:56:29 PMBeef on Netflix. 99% Rotten Tomatoes score feels justified on basis of 1st episode

It is fun. I'm up to episode 5.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 13, 2023, 10:55:53 AMThe Man From Earth, aka Grumbler's life story.  ;) A professor tells colleagues at a going away party that he is a 14000 year old caveman and a minor religious figure. I enjoyed it.

My copyright on my life story expired, alas, 13030 years ago after I faked my death, so I get no comp for them using it.  :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Ok, this might be one for the gossip columns, but if it's true it'd be pretty amazing.

QuoteMatthew McConaughey says Woody Harrelson could be his half-brother
Actor says he and his True Detective co-star 'did some math' after his mother revealed she knew Harrelson's father

Matthew McConaughey says his True Detective co-star and close friend Woody Harrelson are considering whether to do a DNA test after realising they could possibly be brothers.

Speaking on Kelly Ripa's Let's Talk Off Camera podcast, McConaughey revealed the two actors had learned from his mother that she knew Harrelson's father, possibility intimately.

"You know, where I start and where he ends, and where he starts and I end, has always been like a murky line," the 53-year-old said. "And that's part of our bromance, right? My kids call him Uncle Woody. His kids call me Uncle Matthew. And you see pictures of us and my family thinks a lot of pictures of him are me. His family thinks a lot of pictures of me are him.

"In Greece a few years ago, we're sitting around talking about how close we are and our families. And my mom is there, and she says, 'Woody, I knew your dad.' Everyone was aware of the ellipses that my mom left after 'knew.' It was a loaded K-N-E-W."

McConaughey said this comment motivated the two actors to investigate their family histories. "We went on to unpack what this 'knew' meant and did some math and found out that [Harrelson's] dad was on furlough at the same time that my mom and dad were in their second divorce. Then there's possible receipts and places out in west Texas where there might have been a gathering, or a meeting, or a 'knew' moment."

Harrelson's father, Charles, was a contract killer who was first convicted in 1960 for armed robbery. He was jailed in 1973 for murder and released after five years for good behaviour. In 1981 he was given two life sentences for the assassination of a district judge. He also claimed to have assassinated John F Kennedy, and died in prison in 2007.

In a 2012 interview with the Guardian, Harrelson said he got along with his father "pretty good", adding, "[My parents] separated young, he was not around too much."

Both McConaughey and 61-year-old Harrelson have two brothers each. They have appeared onscreen together in the film EDtv and the series True Detective, and are set to reunite in an Apple TV+ comedy show called Brother from Another Mother, in which they play fictionalised versions of themselves living together on a ranch in Texas. The show does not yet have a release date set.

McConaughey said the two men are still debating whether or not they will take a DNA test to confirm the connection between them.

"Look, it's a little easier for Woody to say, 'Come on, let's do [DNA tests],' because what's the skin in it for him?" he said. "It's a little harder for me because he's asking me to take a chance to go, 'Wait a minute, you're trying to tell me my dad may not be my dad after 53 years of believing that?' I got a little more skin in the game."

celedhring

I didn't know Harrelson's dad was a hitman  :lol:

Tamas

I am sure this reveal has nothing to do with them set to play out the same scenario in a new series.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2023, 03:44:55 AMI didn't know Harrelson's dad was a hitman  :lol:

I thought it was public knowledge.  :lol:

The guy even has a wiki page of his own: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Harrelson

celedhring

Just saw the trailer for Invasion, the new MCU show. Is Emilia Clarke the largest franchise collector?

GoT
Marvel
Star Wars
Terminator

Mmmm... I can come up with Andy Serkis:

LOTR
Star Wars
Marvel
DC
Planet of the Apes

Grey Fox

Ryan Reynolds.