News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2022, 03:08:13 AMJust noticed The Nice Guys is on Netflix.  Buddy movie with Ryan Gosling and Russell Crow playing two private detectives in the 70s.  The young actress playing Crow's daugher is a revelation and I cannot fathom why she didn't get bombarded with parts after that.  I enjoyed it when I saw it a long time ago.

Yeah, The Nice Guys is thoroughly enjoyable. As for that actress, she has a minor recurring role in the Spiderman flicks.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2022, 11:18:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 07, 2022, 02:34:26 AMI wrapped it up in two days.  I never read the comics, so without being weighed down by the curse of morally superior Comic Book Guy gatekeeping, I thoroughly enjoyed it on its own merits.

I really enjoyed the comic back in the day, but I only have one question: did they manage to make Death an unbearably perfect cute imaginary goth girlfriend?

I didn't read the comics.  I am enjoying the show quite a bit.  Not much goth in the Death character.

Syt

Outfit is still pretty much the same, though.

Side note: the comic predates the "sad Keanu" memes.

And Sandman at the time was pretty much based on Neil Gaiman himself:

:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: frunk on August 08, 2022, 11:38:04 PMIt's Kirby Howell-Baptiste, so not quite as pale as the Goth ideal.

Paleness or not doesn't really matter, I don't think. It'd be more of personality (direction/ acting) thing.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on August 09, 2022, 01:26:10 PM
Quote from: frunk on August 08, 2022, 11:38:04 PMIt's Kirby Howell-Baptiste, so not quite as pale as the Goth ideal.

Paleness or not doesn't really matter, I don't think. It'd be more of personality (direction/ acting) thing.

The character is a kind, understanding sister, who is looking out for her brother.  At least in the scenes in the last episode I saw. That could change in the rest of the episodes.

celedhring

Just seen Prey. It is definitely the second best movie in the whole Predator franchise. Which is not saying much, but it's saying something  :P

Jokes aside, it has its little issues here and there, but it is pretty decent and definitely enjoyable. A pleasant surprise. In the end, it's the film that most closely replicates the spirit of the original, and by that I don't mean the jungle/forest setting but the idea of two hunters stalking each other, the protagonist trying to outwit the alien killing machine, etc... Much more terse than all the idiotic sequels.

Gups

The raven in Sandman is very annoying and appears to be purely in the show for exposition.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on August 06, 2022, 04:30:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2022, 03:21:30 PMSaw, The Gentleman (Netflix) on my son's recommendation - and loved it.  A lot of great dark humour.  Pacing is great.

High Grant is fantastic and Colin Farrell steals the show.

Just watched this last night, I am sure I would not have other then you mentioning it. It was quite good. How had this never even pinged my radar?
It was first marketed as a Matthew McConaughey movie.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Gups on August 10, 2022, 04:38:51 AMThe raven in Sandman is very annoying and appears to be purely in the show for exposition.
Yes, it isn't the best interpretation of Matthew.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

So this is a show about a moody guy who sits on park benches? :unsure:

Syt

One more episode of Better Call Saul to go. Regardless of how it goes, I hope Rhea Seehorn wins all the awards. Here performance has been stellar throughout the show, and esp. in the last two seasons.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Is there any good space opera TV shows anyone can recommend? I'm mostly thinking large scale stories, like B5, Expanse or the DS9 arcs.

Barring that, any good space adventure with pew-pew and longer narratives (ideally ones that were finished and not abandoned half way through) are welcome.

I've watched & enjoyed Firefly, B5, all of Trek, Orville, Farscape, Lexx, Expanse, Space: Above and Beyond, 70s Buck Rogers & Galactica, 80s V series, Final Space, Futurama, Legend of the Galactic Heroes (80s/90s version, not the recent one), Cowvoy Bebop, and all the Star Wars stuff and a bunch of others that I probably forget.

My favorites are B5, Farscape, ST-DS9, Expanse, Mandalorian, Firefly, LotGH, Final Space (in roughly that order).

I have yet to finish Nu-Galactica (got to mid-Season 2, and my interest kinda fizzled out). I have not started on any of the Stargate stuff (and the number of episodes is daunting; and I know that plenty actors from other shows end up on the various series - tbf, the Atlantis/Universe stuff looks more interesting to me than the "base" series). I started on Killjoys, but I couldn't make it through the pilot because I couldn't stand the writing.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

What was the one season show about war with aliens, maybe 20 years ago? At season's end they had an alien general captured I think, but of course no second season was made. Random memory: I think there was a squadron of Fighting Finns mentioned.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

The only ones you haven't mentioned that I can think of aren't great (Falling Skies, Another Life, Dark Matter...)

Josquius

Foundation is pretty good.
Ever watch Lexx back in the days of yore?
Another Life? Had its issues, big ones, but decent enough core plot.

That you've never watched Stargate though...SG1 is awesome. And very episodic with the large scale story not needing too much attention to follow so you can watch it and zone out a lot.

Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2022, 07:40:34 AMWhat was the one season show about war with aliens, maybe 20 years ago? At season's end they had an alien general captured I think, but of course no second season was made. Random memory: I think there was a squadron of Fighting Finns mentioned.

Falling Skies? Though there were subequent, worse, seasons.
██████
██████
██████