News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

The first couple of episodes of the latest series of the Great Pottery Throw Down - very enjoyable soothing TV for inflamed times.

Featuring a big burly potter as one of the judges who is regularly moved to tears by people's work :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on January 17, 2021, 05:01:37 PM
Cursed. A werewolf terrorizes the good people of Los Angeles. Not essential viewing.
Is it Cursed 2 that has the guy's arm turning into a cobra?
PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on January 16, 2021, 04:36:25 AM
QuoteMy kids though didn't really know what the hell to make of it, having zero concept of what even a sitcom is.
:shock:
I can expect modern kids growing up with cable and/or streaming TV to not see many repeats of Bewitched and the like but they've never seen more modern sitcoms?

What exactly is a "modern sitcom"?

My kids are 100% the streaming generation.  They have no concept of a show being on at a certain time - it's all Netflix (or whatever) for them.

Episode 2 of WandaVision leans more heavily into the "something strange is going on here" vibe.  I like it. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

A sitcom taking place nearer the present, like Modern Family, The Office or The Jetsons.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 17, 2021, 11:54:50 PM
A sitcom taking place nearer the present, like Modern Family, The Office or The Jetsons.  ;)

I can' speak to Modern Family, but The Office is not a sitcom.

Eddie Teach

A show can be funny and still be a sitcom.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

The office is absolutely a sitcom. E.g. #34 on a big greatest sitcoms of all time poll from a few years back.
https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/1919/only_fools_and_horses_britains_best_loved_sitcom/

Not that I expect kids to have enjoyed that one.
Modern family is a good shout though. Friends also seems to be undergoing a spell of re-popularity with kids.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2021, 12:16:12 AM

Elaborate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

From WIKI

The Office is an American mockumentary sitcom television series that depicts the everyday work lives of office employees in the Scranton, Pennsylvania, branch of the fictional Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. It aired on NBC from March 24, 2005, to May 16, 2013, lasting a total of nine seasons.[

I like how they do the math for you there. :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 17, 2021, 08:43:00 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 17, 2021, 05:01:37 PM
Cursed. A werewolf terrorizes the good people of Los Angeles. Not essential viewing.
Is it Cursed 2 that has the guy's arm turning into a cobra?

Not in this one anyway.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2021, 04:39:45 AM

Elaborate.

A sitcom is done using a multi-camera set-up and often in front of a live studio audience (or at least with a laugh track).  The Office is done in a single-camera mockumentary style, and with no laugh track.

The most recent sitcom I can think of would be Big Bang Theory.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 17, 2021, 06:19:25 PM
The first couple of episodes of the latest series of the Great Pottery Throw Down - very enjoyable soothing TV for inflamed times.

Featuring a big burly potter as one of the judges who is regularly moved to tears by people's work :wub:

heh, the wife and I have this thing going on where we try to predict when he'll start crying again. pretty fun :D

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2021, 11:14:06 AM

Elaborate.

A sitcom is done using a multi-camera set-up and often in front of a live studio audience (or at least with a laugh track).  The Office is done in a single-camera mockumentary style, and with no laugh track.

So in your opinion, Modern Family, Arrested Development, Community, The Good Place, Schitt's Creek or Peep Show do not fit your definition of situation comedy?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2021, 11:33:10 AM

Elaborate.

So in your opinion, Modern Family, Arrested Development, Community, The Good Place, Schitt's Creek or Peep Show do not fit your definition of situation comedy?

No.

crazy canuck

Elaborate.

Sitcom: a television series that involves a continuing cast of characters in a succession of comedic circumstances