TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2019, 04:46:36 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 29, 2019, 02:11:28 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2019, 02:53:41 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2019, 07:34:15 PM
The marvel shows really are odd. They started so good but afer luke cage s2 or so I just couldn't watch them anymore
Daredevil 3 was okayish.  Not as good as #1 and #2, imho, but okay.

Thats where I stopped finally. I think there was another Jessica Jones before that which I sort of managed to get through? I got about halfway through Daredevil 3...But I just wasn't following it anymore. It didn't engage me.
I've heard Punisher #2 is OK but never tried it.
Punisher #2 is even better than #1, I think.

Punisher with Dolph sure beats the one with Travolta.  :contract:

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on November 30, 2019, 07:42:39 AM
The last bit is "boring" but it's what moved the movie from good to great for me.

:yes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Dark. Fantastic show.

Does it ever stop raining in Germany, btw? I mean, Jesus...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Did you guys notice how devoid of sound track The Irishman is?  AFAICT it's just that one doo-wop song at the beginning and the end.

I'm rewatching right now.

Admiral Yi

Roma is certainly a different kind of movie.

celedhring

People here watching His Dark Materials? It's a decent adaptation, a bit stilted sometimes, but faithful to the books (which I loved). Ruth Wilson comfortably the best in the show as Ms. Coulter.

Eddie Teach

Saw the first episode. Plan on watching more but haven't gotten around to it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

My wife watches it, it looks pretty good. Lin Manuel-Miranda is in it for some reason. It is not even a musical :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Troy: Fall of a City. First episode. Apparently Greek means missionary.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2019, 01:51:09 PM
My wife watches it, it looks pretty good. Lin Manuel-Miranda is in it for some reason. It is not even a musical :hmm:

He sings a song with a rabbit!

I think he's a bit miscast, to be frank.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on December 04, 2019, 09:15:02 AM
People here watching His Dark Materials? It's a decent adaptation, a bit stilted sometimes, but faithful to the books (which I loved). Ruth Wilson comfortably the best in the show as Ms. Coulter.
I love it. Though not enough daemons.

QuoteI think he's a bit miscast, to be frank.
Yeah. Although I'm not sure how you should play Lee Scorseby because it seems like a tonally weird character in the book.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Been going through Disney+'s back catalogue a little bit.  Last night was The Muppet Movie (1979).

Really quite enjoyable.  Not sure the cameos would mean anything to my kids if they watched it (but man does Steve Martin ever look ageless).  I guess one of the big selling points of this movie was that for the first time you could see some of the Muppets in full body, not just from the waist up, which must have been quite a feat in those pre-CGI days.

Surprising to me were the numerous instances of breaking the fourth wall, like when Kermit gives Dr. Teeth the script to the movie to get him up to speed on what's been happening.  Or that the entire movie is framed by scenes of the Muppets sitting down to watch the Muppet Movie.  It gave it a very modern feeling funnily enough.

And they must have known they had something with The Rainbow Connection (which was written for the movie), as it is used to both open and close the film.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

The Muppets were famous for their 4th wall breaking. Addressing the audience and all that.

Great movie though. Seems a shame the vile Disney Corporation who fucked over Jim Hensen the first time he tried to sell the Muppets to them owns them forever and ever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Vikings, S6E1. I started to watch, but sorry no. I mean I know what show Vikings is, and that it's famously ahistorical, but no. [spoiler]Ivar is travelling east along the Silk Road, through a montage that suggests months of travel through exotic lands. Then the action zooms in and he's in Kievan Rus. They get assaulted by Rus, who are Mongols. And so on...[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on December 05, 2019, 01:51:59 PM
Vikings, S6E1. I started to watch, but sorry no. I mean I know what show Vikings is, and that it's famously ahistorical, but no. [spoiler]Ivar is travelling east along the Silk Road, through a montage that suggests months of travel through exotic lands. Then the action zooms in and he's in Kievan Rus. They get assaulted by Rus, who are Mongols. And so on...[/spoiler]

:lol:

That's almost as good as when the Vikings take an arduous journey through the unknown seas aboard their long ship, and after much toil and uncertainty, bravely discover ... England.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius