News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Twig and Alfur? Yes, they're characters in the show.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 28, 2019, 12:55:14 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2019, 08:31:51 AM
I know it will not be of much interest to the audience here, but I though I'd give a shout-out to the animated series Hilda, on Netflix.

The Brain mode: T & A?

The lead character is portrayed as being ten years old, so no, thankfully.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

A more ... adult oriented ... animated series is out, literally today.

The pilot can be seen on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlmswo0S0e0

It's called Hazbin Hotel, and it is an interesting project in that it is being produced purely by crowdfunding and merch sales - no studio involvement.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

My niece works as an animator for Netflix, not sure what she does (all those NDAs), but she likes it better than the years she put in at Dreamworks.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Do they need any reanimators?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Turned on the TV to watch Monday Night Football.  Realized that the matchup was Dolphins-Steelers.  Remembered that it was crappy matchups like this that got MNF moved from ABC to ESPN.  Turned off the TV.

FunkMonk

Two episodes in and HBO's Watchmen is better than it has any right to be.

I hope they don't screw it up.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

It's certainly an odd show, but good odd.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 28, 2019, 09:35:54 PM
Two episodes in and HBO's Watchmen is better than it has any right to be.

I hope they don't screw it up.

Agreed, very good.

Zoupa

Watched 3 episodes of Succession. Why is everyone fawning over this?

Every single character is either a douche, super annoying or both.

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on October 29, 2019, 11:26:15 AM

Welcome to Languish.

crazy canuck

I have tried watching this season of TWD.  The first episode spent a lot of time describing how the group had created a form of military discipline.  They had fighting formations which shields, auxiliaries and drills to create structure and discipline when fighting the dead.  Very impressive stuff and one would think the had put their time to good use.  Fast forward to the last episode when there is a concerted attack of the dead on one of their communities, someone yells out "remember your training" and what transpires is an undisciplined melee devoid of anything on display in the first episode.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2019, 11:50:37 AM
I have tried watching this season of TWD.  The first episode spent a lot of time describing how the group had created a form of military discipline.  They had fighting formations which shields, auxiliaries and drills to create structure and discipline when fighting the dead.  Very impressive stuff and one would think the had put their time to good use.  Fast forward to the last episode when there is a concerted attack of the dead on one of their communities, someone yells out "remember your training" and what transpires is an undisciplined melee devoid of anything on display in the first episode.

Welcome to Languish.

Josephus

Quote from: Zoupa on October 29, 2019, 11:26:15 AM

It's like watching a car wreck on the highway. You don't know why you look, but you do.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2019, 11:50:37 AM

Well they're not professionals, so maybe there's that. Low discipline in Paradox Game sense; But I see your point.

I think this season of TWD is bad primarily because it sucks. I think they're running out of story, and in previous seasons the characters held it together but this year I don't even know who's who anymore. I miss the tight band of 8 or 9 characters. Like, [spoiler] the final season of last season, I honestly didn't shed a tear for any of those dead people. Unlike, say, in previous seasons when key characters died.[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011