News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Coster Waldau is nominated for an Emmy but then again so is Fahrenheit 451 so it's hardly a compliment these days.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Date Movie. I thought it was gonna be about Masamune, but it turned out to be a romcom parody. There were a handful of decent jokes scattered across the movie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Not to be confused with Date Night, which is also not about Masamune.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I read what Brain wrote as Date Night. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Finally saw the last episode of Handmaid's Tale, what an awful cop-out.

Liep

This trailer for The Favourite confuses me and makes me want more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SojHxpqswV8
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

Watched the imitation game on Netflix.  Was Turning really an asshole or was that just Hollywood creating tension and drama?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2018, 11:52:10 AM
Watched the imitation game on Netflix.  Was Turning really an asshole or was that just Hollywood creating tension and drama?
He was an aspy for sure, perhaps even outright autistic.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Kong: Skull Island. I liked that it was late Vietnam war era. It is certainly a lot better than the Peter Jackson crapfest. The chick is plain. Note: there is no lesbian sex.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

About half way through Handmaid's Tale season two. Not sure if i"m liking it.

Also why does the chauffeur guy get a gift of a fertile 15-year-old virgin? I thought young fertile women were in such high demand they'd be reserved for the ruling elite?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

If she's a virgin, how do you know she's fertile?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on July 17, 2018, 07:36:53 AM

Also why does the chauffeur guy get a gift of a fertile 15-year-old virgin? I thought young fertile women were in such high demand they'd be reserved for the ruling elite?

Yeah, one of the things I disliked from this second season is how they undermine a lot of the world-building in the first season. For example now Handmaids seem have no trouble talking to each other in groups in plain view, even using their real names, when during the first season they were only allowed to walk in pairs and talk about approved subjects.

Josephus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 17, 2018, 08:28:34 AM
If she's a virgin, how do you know she's fertile?

My guess is they do tests.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2018, 08:44:55 AM

Yeah, one of the things I disliked from this second season is how they undermine a lot of the world-building in the first season. For example now Handmaids seem have no trouble talking to each other in groups in plain view, even using their real names, when during the first season they were only allowed to walk in pairs and talk about approved subjects.

Yes. I was just having a discussion with someone about this. They have changed the world from the first season (and Atwood's novel), and not for the better. It's become somewhat inconsistent.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 17, 2018, 10:15:16 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 17, 2018, 08:44:55 AM

Yes. I was just having a discussion with someone about this. They have changed the world from the first season (and Atwood's novel), and not for the better. It's become somewhat inconsistent.

It gets worse.  [spoiler]One of the architects of that society turns out to be an eccentric kindhearted soul  :rolleyes:[/spoiler]