News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I'm not going to see The Shape of Water aka Grinding Nemo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2018, 09:38:59 PM
I'm not going to see The Shape of Water aka Grinding Nemo.

:lol:

Anyway I already saw Splash and it sucked.

Hey it also won an Oscar now that I think about it. Hollywood loves that interspecies erotica.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Game Night (2018)

When we were first married CB and I were playing Scrabble.  I was playing off an O

CB:  If you love me you you won't play that word.
Savonarola:  Then I don't love you, dear.  "Oxen" for 27.
CB:  We're never playing Scrabble again.   :mad: :mad: :mad:

(CB then tried to rat me out to my parents:
CB:  ...and he was way up and he wouldn't let me play on the letter I wanted.  He said he had this word he needed to play.
Savonarola's Mother:  Well, what was the word?
Savonarola:  "Oxen" with a triple letter on the x.
Savonarola's Father:  Oh yeah, I could see that.
Savonarola's Mother;  Yeah, that's a good word.
CB:   :mad:)

If you take your boardgames a little too seriously (and especially if your SO does as well) you'll like this.  Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams play a couple whose week revolves around a game night party.  Jason's over-achieving brother comes into town and kicks game night up a notch by hosting a kidnapping mystery; but not everything is as it seems and not everyone is who they say they are (dunh, dunh, dunh.)

There are some colossal plot holes and the climax requires an extraordinary amount of suspension of disbelief.  Even so this is a great deal of fun.  Despite the film being a comedy, there are a lot laughs.  McAdams and Bateman play off of each other very well.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

frunk

Quote from: Savonarola on March 07, 2018, 01:34:55 PM
Despite the film being a comedy, there are a lot laughs.

Probably an accident.

garbon

The only person who made me at all interested in that film is Sharon Horgan.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Concur with Sav. Game Night was pretty good. Discount Matt Damon continues to do a great job in all his roles.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

Batman (1989) - I think i was too young when I saw this the first time to appreciate how memorable the supporting cast is.  Tracey Walters, Jack Palance, Robert Wuhl, Billy Dee Williams, Pat Hingle.  Michael Gough is still Alfred to me, even if Michael Caine did a great job in the Nolan trilogy.

celedhring

Shape of Water. Not perfect, but a very well made film. Del Toro has been smart enough to include several homages to Hollywood's golden age in order to sweeten the deal for Oscar voters, and I'm glad it worked out for him. Hollywood loves to vote for itself.

Sally Hawkins does a great job, Michael Shannon gets loaded with a pretty ridiculous moustache-twirling villain and manages to salvage it. Directing is very classic, probably Del Toro's best work on that regard. If the concept does nothing for you, you won't enjoy the film (and it's a bit too whimsical in parts), but the craftmanship is great on all parts involved.

katmai

Fucking Mexicans coming here and taking all our jobs and their Oscar wins.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on March 07, 2018, 05:09:07 PM
Sally Hawkins does a great job, Michael Shannon gets loaded with a pretty ridiculous moustache-twirling villain and manages to salvage it. Directing is very classic, probably Del Toro's best work on that regard. If the concept does nothing for you, you won't enjoy the film (and it's a bit too whimsical in parts), but the craftmanship is great on all parts involved.

Agree on all points. Remarkable craftsmanship. Also, I love Sally Hawkins ever since Happy-go-lucky.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Shape of Water. Not perfect, but a very well made film. Del Toro has been smart enough to include several homages to Hollywood's golden age in order to sweeten the deal for Oscar voters, and I'm glad it worked out for him. Hollywood loves to vote for itself.

Where I thought it fell down was in the romance. It's billed as a touching romance, but we aren't really shown much of it - the characters go straight from 'basic recognition of each other's sentience' to 'let's fuck'.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on March 07, 2018, 06:10:57 PM

Where I thought it fell down was in the romance. It's billed as a touching romance, but we aren't really shown much of it - the characters go straight from 'basic recognition of each other's sentience' to 'let's fuck'.

Yeah, the fish-fucking came a bit too quick and too casually.

My only other "but" is that the research institute they work in has really shitty security, given this project is such a big deal.

Ed Anger

Quote from: frunk on March 07, 2018, 05:06:41 PM
Batman (1989) - I think i was too young when I saw this the first time to appreciate how memorable the supporting cast is.  Tracey Walters, Jack Palance, Robert Wuhl, Billy Dee Williams, Pat Hingle.  Michael Gough is still Alfred to me, even if Michael Caine did a great job in the Nolan trilogy.

Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on March 07, 2018, 06:24:49 PM
Yeah, the fish-fucking came a bit too quick and too casually.

I thought that too initially... but then again, I also appreciated that Elisa was shown as having a libido; in need of acceptance, yes, but one that came with physical desires too, shown from the beginning. Considering that such a situation is usually depicted in Hollywood as either comedic relief, character assassination, or as a misstep towards proper romance, I thought it was a welcome change (and a political point).

QuoteMy only other "but" is that the research institute they work in has really shitty security, given this project is such a big deal.
And here again, I thought it great as a counterpoint: the "research institute" is shown as a workplace appropriate to the Hollywood golden age - it is our own time that is obsessed with the depiction of security.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 07, 2018, 08:12:21 PM
I thought it was a welcome change (and a political point).

:lol:

The joys of being an American. One half of the world thinks we are disgusting and degenerate perverts. The other half thinks we are so against fucking that having a hook-up in a film is considered a bold political statement to break up our puritanical values.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."