TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2018, 02:20:58 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 27, 2018, 06:32:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2018, 02:57:32 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 27, 2018, 02:45:18 AM
An even wider point of course is the general effort by many people to destroy language and make words devoid of meaning. My opinion on those people is a negative one, but, I think, not a racist one.

Thought worth speaking directly to this bit. Language isn't static and meanings evolve. And understandable in this sense when religious identity isn't always readily available, so the intolerant look for proxies like the brown skinned appearance common to many Muslims. A terrible proxy to my mind, given that brown skin is common to many non-Muslim identities but then I'm not the one directing the intolerant.

This is true, but blurring the meaning of language is often used by authoritarians in order to white wash their crimes and ill intentions. Just look at Donald Trump and his cronies, by making language meaningless they advance their racist and bigoted agenda.

Ok?
I'm saying that people who want to fight against prejudice and bigotry would be better served to demand precise use of language rather than undermine it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 28, 2018, 10:47:16 PM
I'm saying that people who want to fight against prejudice and bigotry would be better served to demand precise use of language rather than undermine it.

No, I am pretty sure the best way to advance a cause is to have every conversation to devolve into semantic discussions. Look what wonders it created on Languish!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 28, 2018, 10:47:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2018, 02:20:58 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 27, 2018, 06:32:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2018, 02:57:32 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 27, 2018, 02:45:18 AM
An even wider point of course is the general effort by many people to destroy language and make words devoid of meaning. My opinion on those people is a negative one, but, I think, not a racist one.

Thought worth speaking directly to this bit. Language isn't static and meanings evolve. And understandable in this sense when religious identity isn't always readily available, so the intolerant look for proxies like the brown skinned appearance common to many Muslims. A terrible proxy to my mind, given that brown skin is common to many non-Muslim identities but then I'm not the one directing the intolerant.

This is true, but blurring the meaning of language is often used by authoritarians in order to white wash their crimes and ill intentions. Just look at Donald Trump and his cronies, by making language meaningless they advance their racist and bigoted agenda.

Ok?

That is a very silly conclusion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2018, 03:06:48 AM

Is it? What advantage does vagueness provide? I mean generally when you want to have a productive and important discussion there has to be some common agreement, especially when it comes to language. One of the biggest problems with regards to having a decent conversation these days is there is little agreement on the facts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on March 01, 2018, 09:05:38 AM

Is it? What advantage does vagueness provide?

Thinly veiled outrage of course.

Some people really like to be offended, and sloppy language allows them to be offended.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Is it? What advantage does vagueness provide? I mean generally when you want to have a productive and important discussion there has to be some common agreement, especially when it comes to language. One of the biggest problems with regards to having a decent conversation these days is there is little agreement on the facts.

Stop using alternative facts and people might agree with you more. Harumph.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Busy now, but I've flagged this as something I need to reply to. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2018, 10:09:06 AM
Busy now, but I've flagged this as something I need to reply to. :blush:

No worries :P

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 01, 2018, 09:40:44 AM
Stop using alternative facts and people might agree with you more. Harumph.

But they keep using fake news  :mad:

Sophie Scholl

Where's a mod when you need one to break this conversation off into its own thread?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

Mods? We ain't got no Mods! We don't need no mods! I don't have to show you any stinking Mods!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: katmai on March 01, 2018, 03:54:56 PM
Mods? We ain't got no Mods! We don't need no mods! I don't have to show you any stinking Mods!

Pete Townsend breaking free from the confines of their early success?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

The Square (2017)

A Swedish film that seems to be a wonderfully wicked satire on the art world.  The plot deals with an installation; a square on ground with the words "The Square is a sanctuary of trust and caring. Within it we all share equal rights and obligations. " on a plaque next to it.  With such a banal work the museum's media group struggles to promote it.  They comes up with a novel way to promote the film, a Youtube video called "Blonde homeless beggar girl child explodes in the square."  I wont' give away what happens in the video; but it's one of the funniest things I've seen in film.

The director said that the film is actually about toxic masculinity.  I guess it could be.  To me most of the protagonists problems seem to stem from the fact that he's a colossal weenie.  In the moment of catharsis our protagonist experiences personal growth by becoming an even bigger weenie.  So I gather that, like the Buddhist quest for enlightenment, the quest to become a weenie can never truly be fulfilled; you can always be a bigger weenie.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

That is no way to achieve Valhalla.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Ash vs the Evil Dead is great dumb gory fun. Always have had a soft spot for the movies, but didn't think this show could actually turn out to be good (I mean, "from the makers of Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules" isn't the best tagline).

Sophie Scholl

Future Man on Hulu is pretty darn entertaining so far through 6 episodes.  I'd definitely give it a solid recommendation to anyone looking for a short scfi-fi/comedy/craziness series to work through.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."