News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Damn, most active debate going, and I have nothing to say because I haven't watched the show.  :lol:

It sounds like it may be worth watching. Is it something I should pick up? Languish critics, let me know what you think!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on February 27, 2018, 02:27:13 PM
Damn, most active debate going, and I have nothing to say because I haven't watched the show.  :lol:

:huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

It sounds like it may be worth watching. Is it something I should pick up? Languish critics, let me know what you think!

First couple of seasons were excellent, if you can get past all the blatant racism.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

3's pretty good too.

Except for all the time the teenage daughter is on screen.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

I enjoyed the last two seasons too, I gotta say. It has repurposed itself as a more layered and less silly "24".

Sophie Scholl

So... throwing another recommendation out for The Alienist.  I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  There isn't a lot I'd change aside from maybe more Q'orianka Kilcher. :wub:  The acting is solid.  The sets and feel are fantastic for the Gilded Age with their mix of luxury and abject poverty.  The story is engaging and the small asides into topics and character development seemingly not tied to the central plot don't derail things but add depth.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Maladict

Quote from: Josephus on February 27, 2018, 10:19:24 AM
Quote from: Maladict on February 26, 2018, 04:25:33 PM
John Cleese's new sitcom is awful  :(

What's it called? Where's it air?

It's called Hold the Sunset, BBC 1 on Sunday evening.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on February 27, 2018, 01:26:23 PM
So the people who made Homeland should have known that the future had Trump in it, and adjusting their show accordingly.

The discussion is whether or not Homeland is TEH RACIST! You can't say it was NOT racist when it was made, but magically became racist later because Trump.

The claim is that homeland has racist content.  What does TEH RACIST mean?

crazy canuck

First season was very good.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2018, 02:57:32 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 27, 2018, 02:45:18 AM
An even wider point of course is the general effort by many people to destroy language and make words devoid of meaning. My opinion on those people is a negative one, but, I think, not a racist one.

Thought worth speaking directly to this bit. Language isn't static and meanings evolve. And understandable in this sense when religious identity isn't always readily available, so the intolerant look for proxies like the brown skinned appearance common to many Muslims. A terrible proxy to my mind, given that brown skin is common to many non-Muslim identities but then I'm not the one directing the intolerant.

This is true, but blurring the meaning of language is often used by authoritarians in order to white wash their crimes and ill intentions. Just look at Donald Trump and his cronies, by making language meaningless they advance their racist and bigoted agenda.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I've seen little success by Trump at advancing an agenda.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 27, 2018, 10:47:19 PM
I've seen little success by Trump at advancing an agenda.

It would probably help his cause if he had a coherent agenda to advance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 27, 2018, 06:32:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2018, 02:57:32 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 27, 2018, 02:45:18 AM
An even wider point of course is the general effort by many people to destroy language and make words devoid of meaning. My opinion on those people is a negative one, but, I think, not a racist one.

Thought worth speaking directly to this bit. Language isn't static and meanings evolve. And understandable in this sense when religious identity isn't always readily available, so the intolerant look for proxies like the brown skinned appearance common to many Muslims. A terrible proxy to my mind, given that brown skin is common to many non-Muslim identities but then I'm not the one directing the intolerant.

This is true, but blurring the meaning of language is often used by authoritarians in order to white wash their crimes and ill intentions. Just look at Donald Trump and his cronies, by making language meaningless they advance their racist and bigoted agenda.

Ok?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 27, 2018, 02:47:14 PM
3's pretty good too.

Except for all the time the teenage daughter is on screen.

Oh god, yes. Forgot about her.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011