TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on September 29, 2017, 11:11:21 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 29, 2017, 03:17:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2017, 01:41:56 PM
Apparently the Netflix version of Star Trek Discovery has Klingon subtitles. :D

Wow, so all those watching other versions are supposed to guess what the Klingons are saying? Amazing creative choice.

;)

I'm thinking he meant you can watch the show with Klingon subtitles, not English subtitles for Klingon
he was joking, I'm pretty sure he understood it well, hence the ;)  and not the  :unsure:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Also, it has to be a joke since Habba is fluent in Klingon.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Dear yanks,

Any good shows/movies dealing with the American Revolution/aftermath? Besides the John Adams hbo show.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on September 30, 2017, 11:26:50 AM
Dear yanks,

Any good shows/movies dealing with the American Revolution/aftermath? Besides the John Adams hbo show.

You said "good" so, no.

Maladict

So apparently the new Blade Runner is getting rave reviews. Wasn't expecting that, not sure what to do.  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maladict on September 30, 2017, 12:07:00 PM
So apparently the new Blade Runner is getting rave reviews. Wasn't expecting that, not sure what to do.  :hmm:

Doubt?

Maladict

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2017, 12:09:03 PM
Quote from: Maladict on September 30, 2017, 12:07:00 PM

Doubt?

Yeah, it will probably be another Force Awakens.

celedhring

Villeneuve is a brilliant director though.

Eddie Teach

Dear yanks,

There was an AMC show, Turn. I lost interest after a season or two, though. About a dude spying on the British.

11B4V

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 30, 2017, 01:15:28 PM
Dear yanks,

There was an AMC show, Turn. I lost interest after a season or two, though. About a dude spying on the British.

Hollywood shit
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Dear yanks,

Any good shows/movies dealing with the American Revolution/aftermath?
Not a yank, but I know some: (in no particular order)

• The Patriot, but it's not really good  (there are some interesting action scenes, but that's it)
  • Revolution, with Al Pacino, I didn't like it, but I've heard other people praise it.
  • Drums along the Mohawk, it is very dated (1939, still young-ish for Sav though ), not just in technical terms, but I did like it and I would recommend it.
  • Benedict Arnold: A Question of Honor, it's a made for tv movie, I think.  Not so bad, not superb either.
  • Lafayette, 1968 French-Italian movie, about average, but good acting.
  • Sons of Liberty, 2015 tv mini-series by the History Channel.  Really bad, in my opinion, ninja John Adams might be appreciated by some.
  • The Crossing.  I've never seen it, but I heard good about it.  2000 film.
  • Turn: Washington Spies.  I liked it, but most people hated it. There is very good acting, except from the main actor.  Ksenia Solo as Peggy Shippen was adorable. (2014 TV Series, 3.5 seasons)
  • The Swamp Fox.  1960 tv series from Disney, I think.  Canadians protested about the depiction of Loyalists in the show at the time, so it must have been very good  I was young when it was airing on television and only have a few memories, memories of a kid.  It seemed good at the time, on par with:
  • Daniel Boone, also partly set during the American Revolution and by the same actor who played Davy Crockett in Disney movies.  Part of the series was in black and white.  If you watch The Patriot, you will see where that movie got inspiration for some scenes.
Note that none of these tv/movies have aren't really strong on historical accuracy...
Except maybe the Crossing and Revolution, I'm not too sure.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

The Crossing looks like the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks.

Eddie Teach

Not a very popular subject for some reason. I think it's the powdered wigs.

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 30, 2017, 03:17:02 PM

It's weird though, it's not like there aren't loads of movies from other periods in US history, and this is the actual birth of the country, I'd have thought it would be popular if only for the inherent flag-waving aspect. Plus brits as villains.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on September 30, 2017, 03:26:19 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 30, 2017, 03:17:02 PM

It's weird though, it's not like there aren't loads of movies from other periods in US history, and this is the actual birth of the country, I'd have thought it would be popular if only for the inherent flag-waving aspect. Plus brits as villains.

Not enough racial tension to draw American interest.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.