News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I did start rewatching Band of Brothers. The Kraut run over by his own army's tank? Hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

They're running out of ideas in Silicon Valley but it can still be funny at times.  And Monica still looks awesome in a skirt.

Current season of Veep is similar.  Recycling a lot of old stuff but still can be funny.

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 27, 2017, 07:58:00 PM
Preacher looks retarded.

It's mindless fun. It knows not to take itself seriously, unlike some other shows that insist upon themselves.

11B4V

Jackie Chan in a serious movie. Might have to catch this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615160/
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2017, 08:01:20 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 27, 2017, 07:58:00 PM
Preacher looks retarded.

It's mindless fun. It knows not to take itself seriously, unlike some other shows that insist upon themselves.

I like The Money Pit.

CountDeMoney

I've decided Judge Rinder is a more magnificent bitch than Judge Judy ever was.  Kudos, Brits.  Kudos. :bowler:

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2017, 07:57:09 PM
They're running out of ideas in Silicon Valley but it can still be funny at times.  And Monica still looks awesome in a skirt.

Current season of Veep is similar.  Recycling a lot of old stuff but still can be funny.

Both are carried by strong casts and good scripts: plot-wise, you are right, they are running out of steam a bit. 

Anyone tried El Chapo yet - anything more than a Narcos re-tread?

Savonarola

Baby Driver (2017)

The plot reads like a cliche; (driver for a criminal organization pays off his debt, finds a girl, wants to get out but they pull back him in for another heist), but somehow Edgar Wright managed to craft one seriously cool movie out of that.  The chase scenes are incredible, the soundtrack is amazing, the dialogue is snappy and the supporting cast is great.  The only thing that really doesn't work in the film is that the relationship between the driver and the girl isn't believable (in fact the relationship between the driver and the crime lord (Kevin Spacey) is far more intriguing); that causes problems when they try to do the whole "Lovers on the run" at the end of the film. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

frunk

Quote from: Savonarola on June 28, 2017, 02:47:55 PM
Baby Driver (2017)

The plot reads like a cliche; (driver for a criminal organization pays off his debt, finds a girl, wants to get out but they pull back him in for another heist), but somehow Edgar Wright managed to craft one seriously cool movie out of that.  The chase scenes are incredible, the soundtrack is amazing, the dialogue is snappy and the supporting cast is great.  The only thing that really doesn't work in the film is that the relationship between the driver and the girl isn't believable (in fact the relationship between the driver and the crime lord (Kevin Spacey) is far more intriguing); that causes problems when they try to do the whole "Lovers on the run" at the end of the film.

I'm excited for the movie.  Apparently the whole movie was storyboarded to the soundtrack, so that when they were shooting they would check with the editor and see if the timing of the action/dialogue matched the music.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on June 28, 2017, 03:40:44 AM
Both are carried by strong casts and good scripts: plot-wise, you are right, they are running out of steam a bit. 

Re scripts: most of the gags in both are starting to feel recycled.  One exception is Jonah.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on June 28, 2017, 02:51:28 PM
Apparently the whole movie was storyboarded to the soundtrack, so that when they were shooting they would check with the editor and see if the timing of the action/dialogue matched the music.

I was watching a documentary on Scorsese, and apparently he identifies his soundtrack even before initial shooting;  his longtime film editor said he writes them in the margins of the script during the initial read-throughs.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2017, 07:51:55 PM
Haven't seen any of the second season of Billions.  Found myself working too hard to forgive lapses last season.

actually think S. 2 was somewhat better. They introduced an interesting new character this trans gender or whatever They is, financial wizard.

It's not a great show, but watchable.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Ben Hur the remake.  It would have been a lot better if they had kept to the script.