News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Watched a movie with the Harry Potter guy called Swiss Army Man.

Strange. Cross between Weekend With Bernie and Castaway. Funny if you like fart and erection jokes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Harry Potter is too short for much of a career.  He should do mall openings and anime conventions.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on January 09, 2017, 04:23:00 PM
Watched a movie with the Harry Potter guy called Swiss Army Man.

Strange. Cross between Weekend With Bernie and Castaway. Funny if you like fart and erection jokes.

I kind of want to see that.

And Radcliffe seems to be doing okay for himself career-wise.  I don't think he's ever going to be the leading man in a blockbuster movie again, but he's working pretty steadily.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2017, 04:25:19 PM
Harry Potter is too short for much of a career.  He should do mall openings and anime conventions.
He's only 2 inches shorter than Tom Cruise.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Cruise is prettier and more muscled and already pushing it on the height.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Radcliffe is a fine actor, as BB points out, working steadily. But he doesn't have the chops to be in the big leagues. I think of all them, hermione may go the furthest. But I don't remember her real name either.

Swiss Army Man is a watchable movie...I'm just not sure if I liked it. There were moments when I though of flipping channel, but stuck with it. Radcliffe plays a farting dead guy with a hard on pretty well.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Has Hermione done anything since Harry Potter besides that walk by in that Armaggedon comedy?  She's in her peak years and should be making movie after movie.

Josephus

she's playing the lead in Beauty and the Beast coming out soon.

but not very much no. Very little on imdb

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0914612/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on January 09, 2017, 05:56:39 PMI think of all them, hermione may go the furthest.

Unlikely. Maggie Smith has two Oscars.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on January 09, 2017, 06:14:31 PM

Very little? She has 8 acting credits since 2011, when the Harry Potter saga finished, and meanwhile she has studied English Literature at Brown and became an UN goodwill ambassador. And she's only 26 yet.

dps

Quote from: The Larch on January 09, 2017, 07:09:50 PM

Very little? She has 8 acting credits since 2011, when the Harry Potter saga finished, and meanwhile she has studied English Literature at Brown and became an UN goodwill ambassador. And she's only 26 yet.

Only one of them was a leading role, and none of them were big hits.

LaCroix

saw midnight special last night. started off cool, but then it copied E.T. a bit too much. I'm also not sure if the movie's ending had any real point, beyond the rushed/hardly explored family stuff

The Larch

Quote from: dps on January 09, 2017, 07:24:30 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 09, 2017, 07:09:50 PM

Only one of them was a leading role, and none of them were big hits.

So? It doesn't mean she hasn't been working, it's only that she has done stuff that you haven't seen, mostly indie stuff, all while getting a college degree and doing other stuff. She has already starred in one of the highest grossing movie franchises ever through her childhood, she doesn't need more big hits to establish her career. She will always be a household name for her generation.

The Minsky Moment

The Beauty and the Beast thing is pretty big, no?  Flagship Disney property.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Phillip V

I wish they had cast a more womanly Belle.  Watson still looks childish.  Oh well.  One of my favorite Disney movies about personal development and relationship building.