News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

You criticize Slate links, but then you post a link to buzzfeed? :yeahright:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2016, 02:11:13 PM

Yes. In fact, buzzfeed actually has a separate news arm that does investigative research. I believe Slate is just randos writing random things. :mellow:

Anyway, this was a pop trivia note so suck it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2016, 01:51:59 PM
Cel, I just saw this re: the discussion about Lucille from AD and Mallory from Archer. :D

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andyneuenschwander/facts-about-archer-thatll-make-you-say-holy-shitsnacks?utm_term=.nqQxDQpG9#.rk8K9LPgp

Quote6. The first person cast on the show was Jessica Walter, because Malory was described as "like Jessica Walter from Arrested Development."

According to Thompson, the team sent out a casting notice that described Malory as being just like Jessica Walter. "Jessica's agent called us and asked if we would like the actual Jessica Walter, and we instantly jumped at the chance to work with her," Thompson says in The Art of Archer.

Thompson credits Walter for the rest of the show's cast, as he claims it was "so much easier" to get other actors on board when they could say that Walter was attached.

That's awesome  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 06, 2016, 03:17:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2016, 01:51:59 PM
Cel, I just saw this re: the discussion about Lucille from AD and Mallory from Archer. :D

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andyneuenschwander/facts-about-archer-thatll-make-you-say-holy-shitsnacks?utm_term=.nqQxDQpG9#.rk8K9LPgp

Quote6. The first person cast on the show was Jessica Walter, because Malory was described as "like Jessica Walter from Arrested Development."

According to Thompson, the team sent out a casting notice that described Malory as being just like Jessica Walter. "Jessica's agent called us and asked if we would like the actual Jessica Walter, and we instantly jumped at the chance to work with her," Thompson says in The Art of Archer.

Thompson credits Walter for the rest of the show's cast, as he claims it was "so much easier" to get other actors on board when they could say that Walter was attached.

That's awesome  :lol:

Truly a great story.  :lol:

11B4V

Ten minutes into Gods of Egypt. Assburger shitfest
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2016, 02:13:53 PM

Yes. In fact, buzzfeed actually has a separate news arm that does investigative research. I believe Slate is just randos writing random things. :mellow:

Yeah, having gifs really adds to class to what would be otherwise be pitiful 20 somethings writing about cartoons.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2016, 12:07:24 AM

Yeah, having gifs really adds to class to what would be otherwise be pitiful 20 somethings writing about cartoons.

Generally I've found when you are ignorant about something, it is better not to rush to judgment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I have always found Buzzfeed to be more frivolous than Slate and about on par with People magazine.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 07, 2016, 04:11:28 AM
I have always found Buzzfeed to be more frivolous than Slate and about on par with People magazine.  :P

I think that's fair enough (and why I don't link to thought pieces on buzzfeed), however as I mentioned they do actually have an separate news team which I think is more interesting than Slate as they are reporting news not just so and so's blog opinion.

I don't see why though there's a problem with linking to buzzfeed for a piece of pop culture trivia. :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 04:43:14 AM
I don't see why though there's a problem with linking to buzzfeed for a piece of pop culture trivia. :hmm:

Nothing wrong with that, just commenting on the site in general.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

'Pixels' - had me smiling for the first 20-25 minutes, once the nostalgia lenses fell off, it revealed itself to be a rather predictable light comedy.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on December 06, 2016, 02:27:52 AM
Elaborate.

[spoiler]1. Maeve is convinced she is a bot when the tech shows her the program that generates her speech. Then she immediately starts to plot her escape.  No explanation is given for how she escapes the bounds of her programming and achieves independent, self-aware thought.

2. No way a partnership between two engineers could finance the start up of Westworld.  Gigantic tracts of land, hundreds of 3D printed droids with massively complex programming. Squeelions of dollars to start up.

3. In all the scenes where the hosts go off the rez no mention is made of the guests.  Some of them should be freaked out, want their money back, whatever, but they don't really exist.

4. The previously mentioned logistics of transporting the hosts down to the naked diagonostic rooms and back.  That should take time, interfere with guest interaction, etc.

5. In particular Clitoris isn't even in the presumably accessible main town, but out in the wilds with her new squeeze, but she gets whisked back and forth constantly.

6. The Confederados beat up the dickhead boss, but hosts shouldn't be able to inflict violence on guests.

7. In episode 2 Teddy and the chick guest with the wussy husband run into the spectral viking zombie whatever guys associated with Wyatt.  What happens to the chick?

8. The ease with which Maeve manipulates the two techs is ridiculous.

9. The little Indian kids who had tech dolls and the little Mexican girl who was aware and helped Teh Man in Black find the maze were not explained by the story about a limited number of hosts with the old coding.[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

Keep in mind buzzfeed bought out Newsweek. 

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 03:47:09 AM

Generally I've found when you are ignorant about something, it is better not to rush to judgment.

What, is that guy over 30?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2016, 10:14:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 03:47:09 AM

What, is that guy over 30?

???