News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 05, 2016, 10:21:58 AM
Westworld was the best thing to come out of 2016.

It's a great show. The season finale was intriguing, leaving a lot more to come in next season.

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on December 05, 2016, 02:15:54 PM

It's a great show. The season finale was intriguing, leaving a lot more to come in next season.

I've been waiting until the season was done to watch it. Obviously, Languish opinion is that it is worthwhile to invest in.

It does not however look child-friendly, which somewhat restricts my ability to watch it ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on December 05, 2016, 02:24:51 PM
No not child friendly.

As I figured.

I've been watching a lot of children's programming (or at least, programing that is child-suitable) lately, because we can watch it together. Some of the new(ish) kids shows are actually very good; the animated shows in particular are way better these days than the crap made when I was actually a kid myself. Some of them are better than most shows for adults.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on December 05, 2016, 02:22:33 PM
It does not however look child-friendly, which somewhat restricts my ability to watch it ...
Not many things on HBO are child friendly...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

If your kid likes full frontal and realistic violence (and what kids doesn't :P ) you should be good.

Warning, not real advice, your wife will kill you.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Suicide Squad. A bit meh, although not as disastrous as I expected given the reception it got. It tries too hard to be edgy - it feels a bit confused and choppy at times, with some weird tonal shifts, all of which could be explained by the rumors of studio meddling. On that regard, the amount of rock classics crammed into the montage is hilarious.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on December 05, 2016, 02:22:33 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 05, 2016, 02:15:54 PM

I've been waiting until the season was done to watch it. Obviously, Languish opinion is that it is worthwhile to invest in.

Yeah, I'm thinking I should watch it too.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

Its mostly over-rated, honestly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on December 05, 2016, 03:34:15 PM
If your kid likes full frontal and realistic violence (and what kids doesn't :P ) you should be good.

Warning, not real advice, your wife will kill you.

She already attempts homicide because my example of enjoying my kid's cartoons encourages him to watch more. This would I fear drive her over the edge.

Of course, I'll just have to blame you.  :P

At least I don't get my kid to watch Rick and Morty. Though as I said upthread, he does watch Star vs. The Forces of Evil, which is in some ways like Rick and Morty for kids ...

CountDeMoney

Stan Against Evil is better.

Josephus

It's on at nine pm. on a Sunday night on HBO...so no, most kids should be in bed by then.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on December 05, 2016, 01:40:23 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 05, 2016, 12:31:16 AM
Westworld

That was amazing.

[spoiler]Even in his seeming heroics he still gets to fuck over his enemies. Although what's his grand plan? Murder bring sentience? Then again made it was a Hannibal bot.

Also, I'm kind of happy William found his answer. He looked so pleased. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]His grand plan appears to have been the same as William and they both were following in Arnold's footsteps - To make the robots sentient.

Ford allowed himself to be killed for the same reason as Arnold - so that the sentience could not simply be rolled back in a reset. My guess is William will likely carry on that work as the mole within the corporation after the corporation regains control of the park.  Just as Ford carried on the work of Arnold.

Now that I understand all the time shifts I am going to go back and watch just to see how well crafted this was :) [/spoiler]

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on December 05, 2016, 04:30:56 PM
Its mostly over-rated, honestly.

Yeah, compared to all of the other well written, high production value shows out there.  :P

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 05, 2016, 10:59:05 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 05, 2016, 01:40:23 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 05, 2016, 12:31:16 AM
Westworld

That was amazing.

[spoiler]Even in his seeming heroics he still gets to fuck over his enemies. Although what's his grand plan? Murder bring sentience? Then again made it was a Hannibal bot.

Also, I'm kind of happy William found his answer. He looked so pleased. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]His grand plan appears to have been the same as William and they both were following in Arnold's footsteps - To make the robots sentient.

Ford allowed himself to be killed for the same reason as Arnold - so that the sentience could not simply be rolled back in a reset. My guess is William will likely carry on that work as the mole within the corporation after the corporation regains control of the park.  Just as Ford carried on the work of Arnold.

Now that I understand all the time shifts I am going to go back and watch just to see how well crafted this was :) [/spoiler]

That was fucking amazing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned