News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2016, 09:30:00 AM
Been binging Rome.  Great tits, disappointing Cleopatra.

As a character or as a hottie?

Eddie Teach

The last Kingdom. This works as a sequel 2 Vikings.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on August 30, 2016, 09:49:53 AM
As a character or as a hottie?

As an inbred Macedonian hottie.

Berkut

Quote from: Josephus on August 30, 2016, 07:17:14 AM
Watched first two episodes of The Night Of. Really good so far.

Though the set up is a bit weak. No need for spoiler tag. Basically guy steals his dad's cab. The cab is shared between three different owners/operators.. Yet on a Friday evening in New York, it's parked at the curb. That's right. No one's workig the cab on a Friday evening. I guess Friday evenings are slow?

I can't say I even thought about that.

Having thought about it, I can't say I care at all.

That is really what you took away from that show? That the cab should have been in use?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on August 30, 2016, 09:34:32 AM
Seen 3 episodes of the Get Down. A very watchable mess. Stupid plot line, some terrible acting but great looking.

Is that Brit TV only?  Doesn't ring any bells.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2016, 10:29:37 AM
Seen 3 episodes of the Get Down. A very watchable mess. Stupid plot line, some terrible acting but great looking.

Netflix.  Just dropped recently.  Been getting pretty good press.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Ray Donovan. Pretty enjoyable. I was expecting a sort of procedural where he fixes shit for idiot rich people every week, but it's a full-fledged drama with some bizarre comedy thrown in the side (which made me think of Breaking Bad). Will probably binge all the seasons in the following weeks.  :blush:

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2016, 10:31:13 AM

Yeah Netflix. Baz Luhrman. Disco and early Hip Hop in mid 70s South Bronx. Blackouts, heatwaves and standpipes, looting, corruption, burnt out buildings, Grandmaster Flash, Ed Koch, singing and dancing.

Valmy

Posted on facebook

:thumbsup: There is a remake I could get behind.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on August 30, 2016, 10:40:07 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2016, 10:31:13 AM

Yeah Netflix. Baz Luhrman. Disco and early Hip Hop in mid 70s South Bronx. Blackouts, heatwaves and standpipes, looting, corruption, burnt out buildings, Grandmaster Flash, Ed Koch, singing and dancing.
Kind of loved it.

V: Tim Minchin has done a musical version I think :)

For all the people enjoying 'The Night Of' you might like Criminal Justice the excellent Brit series starring Ben Whishaw that it's based on. I say with no simmering resentment that 'The Night Of' still isn't available here :P

Edit: Also, Riz Ahmed is one of my favourite actors so I'm really glad he's getting this sort of work :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2016, 10:01:20 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 30, 2016, 07:17:14 AM
Watched first two episodes of The Night Of. Really good so far.

Though the set up is a bit weak. No need for spoiler tag. Basically guy steals his dad's cab. The cab is shared between three different owners/operators.. Yet on a Friday evening in New York, it's parked at the curb. That's right. No one's workig the cab on a Friday evening. I guess Friday evenings are slow?

I can't say I even thought about that.

Having thought about it, I can't say I care at all.

That is really what you took away from that show? That the cab should have been in use?

Only watched first two episdoes. And no, I like it. But I think about things like that. If I was writing it, it would be one cab owner, Dad, who happens to be sick, or something. Problem solved.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

It just hit me that Ray's main enforcer in Ray Donovan is Manny from Scarface.  :o

That show surely has a quality supporting cast. Edward James Olmos showing up as an Irish mobster was a highlight too. And Jon fucking Voight of course.

garbon

I wanted to like Ray Donovan, but after several episodes, I realized it is not for me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I won't say it knocks it out of the park compared to other "prestige" yank shows, but I find it very entertaining.

celedhring

In pretty unsurprising news, Netflix has just announced Season 2 of Stranger Things coming in 2017, complete with episode titles.

https://twitter.com/Stranger_Things/status/770961890985938944