And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: dps on August 18, 2016, 04:42:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2016, 11:13:03 PM

My only thought though was I'm not quite sure what the audience is for a remake of Ben Hur nearly 60 years later.  I think being released in late August, with almost no advertising that I've seen, is kind of telling.

I've seen quite a bit of advertising for it.  Difference between the US and Canadian markets, perhaps?

Not sure I'm interested, though.  As you say, the action sequences seem to be CGI heavy;  I'll stay with the practical effects from the 2 previous versions.
I've seen a few ads.  Not that many, but then again, I haven't watched tv a lot lately :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Query, why don't American shows do Christmas specials?
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 19, 2016, 07:04:02 AM

They do, they are just not specials. Scheduling is more stringent than in the UK so - outside some animated specials - Christmas episodes are factored in the regular 13 or 22 episode seasons. But quite a few American shows have Christmas-themed episodes that air during holidays.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2016, 07:12:14 AM

They do, they are just not specials. Scheduling is more stringent than in the UK so - outside some animated specials - Christmas episodes are factored in the regular 13 or 22 episode seasons. But quite a few American shows have Christmas-themed episodes that air during holidays.

Yep. They just have a regular episode that is Christmas themed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2016, 07:17:40 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2016, 07:12:14 AM

Yep. They just have a regular episode that is Christmas themed.

Best part of it is when they air those shows in Spain several months later, and the Christmas episode pops up in the middle of the summer  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2016, 07:20:26 AM
Best part of it is when they air those shows in Spain several months later, and the Christmas episode pops up in the middle of the summer  :lol:

Well now you know how the actors and crew felt producing that episode in the middle of Summer :P

Well ok they probably made it in like October or something.

They also will often have a Halloween and Thanksgiving episode. If your holiday occurs in the Fall you might get an episode. Sorry Easter/4th of July.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

That last episode was amazing.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2016, 08:10:41 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 19, 2016, 07:51:15 AM

Oh good. Can't wait. :)

I won't say anything else then. Let us know when you've seen it.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on August 19, 2016, 08:44:28 AM

:D

[spoiler]They really do like fucking around with the notion of an unreliable point of view, don't they?[/spoiler]

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2016, 02:39:46 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 19, 2016, 08:44:28 AM

:D

[spoiler]They really do like fucking around with the notion of an unreliable point of view, don't they?[/spoiler]

Yup. Thought it was pretty well done.

Martinus

So, garbo, have you seen Looking: the Movie?

Watching it right now. Just as boring and charming as the tv series.