And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on August 18, 2016, 07:54:39 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2016, 11:13:03 PM
So somehow Mrs B got free tickets to an advance screening of the remake of Ben Hur. :mellow:

Oddly enough, neither Mrs B or I have ever seen the original, though I at least was vaguely familiar with it.  Mrs B, on the other hand, was quite surprised when Jesus showed up in the film.

Spoiler alert  :lol:

The book came out in 1880, the movie versions in 1925 and 1959 - I'm not spoiling shit. <_< :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2016, 09:12:38 AM
So somehow Mrs B got free tickets to an advance screening of the remake of Ben Hur. :mellow:

Oddly enough, neither Mrs B or I have ever seen the original, though I at least was vaguely familiar with it.  Mrs B, on the other hand, was quite surprised when Jesus showed up in the film.

The book came out in 1880, the movie versions in 1925 and 1959 - I'm not spoiling shit. <_< :P

For that matter, Jesus came out in year 0!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2016, 09:14:08 AM

He didn't make the big time till year 33 though. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

B, is the film heavy on the bible-thumping department? If the action scenes are so great I might be tempted to check it out. I loved the original as a kid  :blush:

Heck a friend of mine named his garage band "You're wrong, Messala" :lol:

The Minsky Moment

Technically he never came out although the bachelor lifestyle, close relationship with Mom, and the BFF relationship with Mary Magdalene have caused some to speculate over the years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Not to mention all the foot-washing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 18, 2016, 11:18:12 AM

Technically he never came out although the bachelor lifestyle, close relationship with Mom, and the BFF relationship with Mary Magdalene have caused some to speculate over the years.

Not to mention Matthew 26:49. Man-on-disciple action. 

QuoteSo he went right up to Jesus and said, "Greetings, Rabbi!" and kissed Him.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

And then YOU killed him. :(

:P
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Babadook. Pretty decent and creepy slow-burn horror flick. No jump scares, no overproduced CGI fests, no stupid teenagers. The only "but" is that the dramatic part of the film (widow that struggles to raise her child alone while not being able to cope with the loss of her husband) is handled with the subtlety of Godzilla rampaging through Tokyo, but then again most contemporary horror flicks don't have any dramatic heft to begin with.

dps

My only thought though was I'm not quite sure what the audience is for a remake of Ben Hur nearly 60 years later.  I think being released in late August, with almost no advertising that I've seen, is kind of telling.

I've seen quite a bit of advertising for it.  Difference between the US and Canadian markets, perhaps?

Not sure I'm interested, though.  As you say, the action sequences seem to be CGI heavy;  I'll stay with the practical effects from the 2 previous versions.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on August 18, 2016, 04:10:37 PM

I can't take *all* the credit. It takes at least three guys - two to hold him down in place, one to line up the nail and swing the hammer.

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2016, 04:59:08 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 18, 2016, 04:10:37 PM

I can't take *all* the credit. It takes at least three guys - two to hold him down in place, one to line up the nail and swing the hammer.

Technically, you hired a bunch of Eye-Talians to do that for you.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Kleves

Fun fact: In the Hunt for Red October, the "pig" of a political officer Conneryov kills at the beginning is named Putin.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.