News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Another show I watched recently was a Brit crime drama (a six-parter) called River. It was very good, I thought.

As the cliché goes, it "transcended the genre" in that it was as much a study of relative madness and sanity, dealing with loss and grief, as it was a police procedural; it blended all these aspects nicely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_(TV_series)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2016, 10:57:43 AM
Another show I watched recently was a Brit crime drama (a six-parter) called River. It was very good, I thought.

As the cliché goes, it "transcended the genre" in that it was as much a study of relative madness and sanity, dealing with loss and grief, as it was a police procedural; it blended all these aspects nicely.

I'll check that out, I'm actually looking for some good police procedural thingie. My GF loves these things and I was looking for something with a bit more meat in its bones to watch with her.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2016, 11:00:21 AM

I'll check that out, I'm actually looking for some good police procedural thingie. My GF loves these things and I was looking for something with a bit more meat in its bones to watch with her.

Do - I'd be interested in your opinion.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

I've been watching the Eric Andre Show, a dadaist talk show.  I'm not sure if I like it, but I am enjoying it.  The open titles are must see, with the host going nuts and destroying the set each time before stage hands recreate it after he's exhausted himself.

The various skits range from meh, to WTH to pretty damn funny.  It's on Hulu.

Eddie Teach

Y tu mama tambien. Very indie. Watchable enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Ron Burgundy. Really juvenile and not really that funny (except from a few scenes here and there, like the reporter brawl scene). But then again I have never found Ferrell's brand of humor that appealing. Christina Applegate is smoking though. So yeah, I just made a juvenile comment after criticizing a movie for being too juvenile.

garbon

I'm starting my 2nd episode of Stranger Things. First one didn't do much for me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Deutschland 83. Now this seems to be a very good series. Like The Americans meets Skins.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2016, 04:34:17 PM
Deutschland 83. Now this seems to be a very good series. Like The Americans meets Skins.

Skins? Really? Anyway, I think I read that it was the highest rated subtitled drama in Britain. However, it did very poorly in Germany.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2016, 04:28:14 PM
Ron Burgundy. Really juvenile and not really that funny (except from a few scenes here and there, like the reporter brawl scene). But then again I have never found Ferrell's brand of humor that appealing. Christina Applegate is smoking though. So yeah, I just made a juvenile comment after criticizing a movie for being too juvenile.

She's 45 this year; 'Married with Chilren' only seems like yesterday.  :(

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Started on a Veep rotation on HBO GO and I see exactly why it appeals to Marty.

Every single person is a shit.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2016, 04:36:52 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2016, 04:34:17 PM

Skins? Really? Anyway, I think I read that it was the highest rated subtitled drama in Britain. However, it did very poorly in Germany.
It really has the feeling of skins or the less well known the aliens. The style of those E4 dramas for young people. A certain light and fluffy flippant disregard for realism: like the guy deciding to phone his girlfriend in east Germany from the west german generals house. Right.....
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Oh okay. So nothing like Skins. :D

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2016, 11:00:21 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2016, 10:57:43 AM

Brit procedurals I recommend in addition to River: Line of Duty and Happy Valley :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on August 16, 2016, 05:21:28 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2016, 04:28:14 PM

She's 45 this year; 'Married with Chilren' only seems like yesterday.  :(

I'm 50...so she's still quite young to me.  :P
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011