News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2016, 05:54:10 PM
Devil's Advocate was on TV and I ended up seeing it again. Some nice pussy in there. But talk about ball and chain. Jesus.

:lol:  No shit. 

"Tell you what, you move back down south and I'll just mail you a check every month."

Savonarola

Inside the Lines (1930)

Betty Compson is an English girl who becomes a spy for the Kaiser on the eve of the First World War.  She travels to Gibraltar impersonating a socialite with orders to destroy the British Mediterranean Fleet which is parked on top of the mine field surrounding Gibraltar.  (While I don't claim to be an expert at naval strategy, that doesn't seem like the best of ideas.)  While their she meets her boyfriend, a German working as a military engineer for the British Army.  There's plot twist after plot twist, but eventually our agents learn that they are both double agents working for the British government.  While that would get laughs on "Get Smart" thirty years later, here its played in deadly earnest.

Compson was in some classic silent era movies, but was mostly relegated to B films in the sound era.  This acting isn't weak in this one, (at least as compared to many of the films I've seen of late), but the sound is still primitive and most of the scenes are obviously filmed on a sound stage.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on June 19, 2016, 01:57:12 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 19, 2016, 01:54:22 PM
Mr Robot: Enjoyed it.

:yes:  Great series.  Can't wait until the new season starts.

Finally started watching this. Quite enjoyable. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Skeleton Key was on TV and I saw it again. I really like it. Spooky without being "shocky", [spoiler]except in the mind of the viewer when you think about the 1920s scene with the information you have at the end[/spoiler].
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

The Get Down. Worried given the mixed reviews, but I loved it :ph34r: :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I loved the pilot of Get Down myself. As excessive and hyper-mythical as I hoped Baz Luhrmann would deliver. I guess it's a matter of whether you dig his style or not (and I really do).

The other episodes aren't done by him, though.

Berkut

Watched the first episode of Mr. Robot last night. Very intriguing and cool.

Am enjoying The Night Of as well, although I could do with a bet less focus on the guys fucking feet.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

I've been watching a Japanese series called The Hero Yoshihiko and the Demon King's Castle.
It is very good. Sort of a Japanese Monty Python and the Holy Grail, mocking JRPGs relentlessly. I laugh. Its nice to see a Japanese series like this. Normally its just romance or samurais.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on August 14, 2016, 09:58:44 AM
Am enjoying The Night Of as well, although I could do with a bet less focus on the guys fucking feet.

That's the whole show: texture and mood.  Nothing really happens.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 14, 2016, 03:36:41 AM
I loved the pilot of Get Down myself. As excessive and hyper-mythical as I hoped Baz Luhrmann would deliver. I guess it's a matter of whether you dig his style or not (and I really do).

The other episodes aren't done by him, though.
Just watched the second episode and God you can tell it's not Luhrman. It's still fine with a couple of great bits but most of it just seemed so ponderous in comparison :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

The Night Of watchers: Judges XVI is the story of Delilah cutting Sampson's hair.

celedhring

Finished watching Stranger Things. I agree that the final 3 or so episodes are much better, when the story revs up towards the climax. I still feel that the whole thing is a gigantic dejá vú after the other, though. I get it is kinda the point, but made the show feel stale to me. Still, I was entertained.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2016, 10:29:37 AM
Finished watching Stranger Things. I agree that the final 3 or so episodes are much better, when the story revs up towards the climax. I still feel that the whole thing is a gigantic dejá vú after the other, though. I get it is kinda the point, but made the show feel stale to me. Still, I was entertained.

I enjoyed it a lot.

Part of the fun was trying to figure out all the 80s movie references (there were contemporary movie posters in the background in some scenes that were helpful.  :lol: ). 

Still, it wasn't just a giant collection of tropes, it did have a satisfying plot, and some nice touches (how the distressed mom figured out how to communicate with the lost kid was pretty ingenious).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2016, 10:35:15 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2016, 10:29:37 AM

I enjoyed it a lot.

Part of the fun was trying to figure out all the 80s movie references (there were contemporary movie posters in the background in some scenes that were helpful.  :lol: ). 

Still, it wasn't just a giant collection of tropes, it did have a satisfying plot, and some nice touches (how the distressed mom figured out how to communicate with the lost kid was pretty ingenious).

The plot was pretty convoluted in places (i.e. [spoiler]the first time the evil government dudes capture the local sheriff, and they just set him free I was, what?[/spoiler]) but the conclusion was satisfying; that's why I enjoyed the last episodes the most.