And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on April 17, 2013, 09:40:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2013, 09:36:56 PM
It's true.  You know who forgot about the reality gem?  The Magus.  And it did him no good.

No i was commenting on
http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,90.msg566506.html#new

Comics thread. :rolleyes:  Only you, Ide and that flanneled wanna-be American read that thread.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2013, 09:44:39 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 17, 2013, 09:40:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2013, 09:36:56 PM
It's true.  You know who forgot about the reality gem?  The Magus.  And it did him no good.

No i was commenting on
http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,90.msg566506.html#new

Comics thread. :rolleyes:  Only you, Ide and that flanneled wanna-be American read that thread.

You forgot Aspergers Annie over in Korea.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

Serenity. The Reapers are the stupidest enemy in sci find history.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on April 17, 2013, 10:12:06 PM

I remember there being "Reivers" in Serenity, don't remember any "Reapers".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on April 17, 2013, 10:31:54 PM

I remember there being Reavers. :P

And, no, they're not.  Most zombie concepts are much stupider.  Reavers don't violate fundamental biochemistry, if not thermodynamics itself.

The idea that the Reavers could work as a society while being pharmacologically driven to profound self-destructive and antisocial behavior is a bit of a reach, but I'm fine with some details being left out, like they could smell their own or something.  The film is amazing; like with Star Trek before it, the movie proved far better than the series.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2013, 10:47:46 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 17, 2013, 10:31:54 PM

I remember there being Reavers. :P

And, no, they're not.  Most zombie concepts are much stupider.  Reavers don't violate fundamental biochemistry, if not thermodynamics itself.

The idea that the Reavers could work as a society while being pharmacologically driven to profound self-destructive and antisocial behavior is a bit of a reach, but I'm fine with some details being left out, like they could smell their own or something.  The film is amazing; like with Star Trek before it, the movie proved far better than the series.

No way.
Bare in mind the movie rushed out all the best plot points that were going to be used in the series too.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

That's right.  So instead of teasing them to the point that I didn't care, they wrapped 'em up in a nice, straightforward, higher-budgeted package that also included a phenomenal performance from Chiwetel Ejiofor, and if he hadn't available to do guest spots on Firefly, we'd all have lost something important, as a culture, indeed, as aspecies.  A+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2013, 11:19:19 PM
that also included a phenomenal performance from Chiwetel Ejiofor,

Excellent actor that for some reason still seems to stay below the radar.  Never turns in a poor performance.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2013, 11:23:20 PM

Excellent actor that for some reason still seems to stay below the radar.  Never turns in a poor performance.
+1
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Are the Reivers  sapient? How do they manage to pilot spacecraft? How do they replenish numbers such that thry can throw men away? It's insane. Also what the fuck is it with Whedon and 17 year old girls?

The casting is the only decent thing in the movie.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Why do people live on shitty rocks in Victorian clothes and raise cattle when there are biogels that can instantly heal huge gashes in a woman's back?  Why is the Alliance a union of the Chinese and Americans beyond Weyland-Yutani references? Why are robotics so primitive when space travel is so advanced? Why is it so hard to send a video across space when Fillion can flirt with Baccarin instantly across the galaxy? Why are the same people who shat on Prometheus defending this?

11B4V

Quote from: Queequeg on April 18, 2013, 01:01:45 AM
Why do people live on shitty rocks in Victorian clothes and raise cattle when there are biogels that can instantly heal huge gashes in a woman's back?  Why is the Alliance a union of the Chinese and Americans beyond Weyland-Yutani references? Why are robotics so primitive when space travel is so advanced? Why is it so hard to send a video across space when Fillion can flirt with Baccarin instantly across the galaxy? Why are the same people who shat on Prometheus defending this?

I shat on neither and liked both.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2013, 11:23:20 PM

Probably because people can't spell his name.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Don't be raciss.  He's either under "C" or "E" in the Rolodex. 

Anyway, best trailer released for "Man of Steel" yet--

http://youtu.be/T6DJcgm3wNY

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on April 18, 2013, 12:01:07 AM
How do they replenish numbers such that thry can throw men away?

QuoteAlso what the fuck is it with Whedon and 17 year old girls?

Maybe when you're older, sweetie.
Kinemalogue