News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Started watching Fallout. Her eyes do freak me out a bit.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on April 13, 2024, 04:18:31 AMStarted watching Fallout. Her eyes do freak me out a bit.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Watched some Fallout. Can't say I'm particularly hooked. The story isn't particularly interesting, nor the characters. There's the "oh look, it's Fallout!" element, but that only works for so long.

HVC

It's not great, great, but it is watchable. I think releasing it all at once helped. Binging keeps your attention more then waiting week to week, at least for me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on April 13, 2024, 04:57:47 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 13, 2024, 04:18:31 AMStarted watching Fallout. Her eyes do freak me out a bit.

I like that she does look like Kyle Maclachlan. I always appreciate when characters that are family are cast to look like family.

Now, I hope one of the show's twists isn't that he isn't really her dad.

Quote from: HVC on April 15, 2024, 08:46:56 AMIt's not great, great, but it is watchable. I think releasing it all at once helped. Binging keeps your attention more then waiting week to week, at least for me.

Yeah, I'll keep watching I guess, if anything as a comfort blanket kinda show.

HVC

Her Colombian brother was either adopted or the vaults have a mail delivery service :D

Sheilbh

Baby Reindeer is fantastic but bloody hell :ph34r: :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2024, 03:23:46 PMBaby Reindeer is fantastic but bloody hell :ph34r: :blink:

I just finished episode 4. I looked at my husband and was like oh it can only get worse for him from here.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

With a name like that it has to be tragic :D

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2024, 03:25:31 PMI just finished episode 4. I looked at my husband and was like oh it can only get worse for him from here.
Yeah. And also watching that episode with every step thinking "it's going to get worse".

Also I can't quite get my head around it being true and the writer being the actor reliving it all.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2024, 05:53:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2024, 03:25:31 PMI just finished episode 4. I looked at my husband and was like oh it can only get worse for him from here.
Yeah. And also watching that episode with every step thinking "it's going to get worse".

Also I can't quite get my head around it being true and the writer being the actor reliving it all.

Just saw episode 5. Fucking hell.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Zack Snyder Has Plans For at Least 6 'Rebel Moon' Movies

The first one was a success.

Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon Part One quickly became a hit despite mixed reviews, setting the stage for a potential cinematic epic.

I guess at some point, I will have to see that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

The Criterion Channel had a salute to the Golden Raspberries starting last month.  Some of the previous winners have gone through critical re-evaluation as time has passed; however not:

Xanadu (1980)

Olivia Newton John is a muse who escapes from a wall painting and roller skates away surrounded by some animated lines in a not-very-special effect.  She kisses unfulfilled commercial artist Michael Beck, who pursues her throughout the day leading him to run into... :unsure: uhm... :unsure: wait a second... :unsure: isn't that... :unsure: Gene Kelly? :huh:

Why yes it is, this is Kelly's last movie (aside for some made for TV ones.)  He's a former big band leader who's lead singer may have been Olivia Newton John.  The film isn't really clear about this but they do share a dance scene; which is about the only high point of the film.  In any event Kelly lost the girl, left the music industry and became a successful builder.  He longs to return to the music industry and works with Beck to open a roller-disco club called Xanadu.  Then Beck, Olivia Newton John and Kelly go shopping for some super-fly 70's era threads to replace the squaresville mid-century suits that Kelly had been wearing; in what may be the single most embarrassing scene in all of cinema.  In any event Olivia Newton John is summoned back to Olympus, Michael Beck gets all pouty, but Gene Kelly (dressed like he just escaped from the Jackson 5) gives him the go-get-her talk.  So Beck does what any reasonable person would do, he roller skates full force into mural of muses which, fortunately turns out to be a gate to Olympus which, as you probably expected is a vast empty hall lit by neon lights.  He convinces Zeus to let Olivia Newton John return to earth and they open Xanadu to an enormous roller disco party.

Not only is the story incoherent, the acting (other than Gene Kelly) is weak and they didn't really get how to shoot a dance scene.  The film, along with "Can't Stop the Music" inspired John JB Wilson to start the Golden Raspberry Awards.

The soundtrack did pretty well, both "Magic" and "Xanadu" were top 10 hits; I don't think it's ELO's best, but it was decent.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Started watching baby Reindeer.
It's good. Quite funny actually. But man am I getting familiar vibes from that woman...
██████
██████
██████