News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Threviel

First half hour of the new Fallout series. Damn good so far, ultra violent in a good way.

HVC

Her eyes weird me out. Uncanny valley territory... but without CGI
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on April 11, 2024, 11:25:15 AMHer eyes weird me out. Uncanny valley territory... but without CGI

And her elbows.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on April 11, 2024, 11:26:30 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 11, 2024, 11:25:15 AMHer eyes weird me out. Uncanny valley territory... but without CGI

And her elbows.

:lol:

Seriously, they're too big!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Syt

Quote from: Threviel on April 11, 2024, 09:42:39 AMFirst half hour of the new Fallout series. Damn good so far, ultra violent in a good way.

Watched the first episode just now, enjoyed it a lot more than I thought it would. :D

Definitely not having the feeling that they're toning down the, uhm, tone. :P

Also had a moment where I was first, "Why did this [recognizable structure] survive the (post-)apocalypse?" ... "Oh yeah, it's Fallout, duh!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Hey - Fallout acceptable for kids?  In my case, pre-teens (and not little kids)?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Three episodes in and yeah - it's fun. Yes, it's very pulpy. Yes, it's quite over the top. Yes, it's gory. But it's a decent ride so far. And it's main character triangle has shades of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (probably not coincidentally).

Random thought - Walton Goggins plays the ghoul bounty hunter. He also appeared in the Community episode Cooperative Polygraphy where he plays the notary executing Pierce's will. During the pandemic, the cast did a read of the episode via zoom. Goggins wasn't available, so Pedro Pascal took over ... who also plays a gun slinging bounty hunter on Mandalorian.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2024, 01:45:33 PMHey - Fallout acceptable for kids?  In my case, pre-teens (and not little kids)?

No. Well, not your kids. And by that I mean it has a level of violence you wouldn't accept :)

Syt

It is quite graphic, yes.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on April 11, 2024, 01:51:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2024, 01:45:33 PMHey - Fallout acceptable for kids?  In my case, pre-teens (and not little kids)?

No. Well, not your kids. And by that I mean it has a level of violence you wouldn't accept :)

It's like you don't know me at all man.  :weep:

I think I'm okay with cartoonish, if gory, violence.  At least for 10-13 year olds.  It's more about the themes and tone then the blood.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2024, 02:02:39 PM

I think I'm okay with cartoonish, if gory, violence.  At least for 10-13 year olds.  It's more about the themes and tone then the blood.

:lol: it's gory, but more on the realistic rather then cartoony side. Watch episode 1 and 2 without the kids (especially 2), and see. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on April 11, 2024, 11:27:58 AM

And her elbows.

You guys freak me out. Internet standards and all that...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on April 11, 2024, 02:45:35 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 11, 2024, 11:27:58 AM

And her elbows.

You guys freak me out. Internet standards and all that...

She reminds me of the Alita movie :D which also weirded me out

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on April 11, 2024, 02:03:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2024, 02:02:39 PM

:lol: it's gory, but more on the realistic rather then cartoony side. Watch episode 1 and 2 without the kids (especially 2), and see. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

OK.

I mean I don't care about my kids seeing blood and gore.  I was just watching RoboCop on Amazon last night while I cleaned up the kitchen - it can be a pretty gorey movie, and it came out when I was 12 (and that's probably when I saw it for the first time).

But my youngest, age 10, can be a sensitive kind-of kid at times, so I don't 100% know what he'd think of a R-rated gorey movie/show.  We haven't gone down that path before.

By the way - I freaking love RoboCop.  It's like the perfect action movie.