News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Looks like Hulu gets Shogun on a time delay so have to wait for more episodes to load.  Watching Fargo for now.  A lot of funny shit in there.  Clever shit.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2024, 05:49:07 AMLooks like Hulu gets Shogun on a time delay so have to wait for more episodes to load.  Watching Fargo for now.  A lot of funny shit in there.  Clever shit.

Yeah they do this weird thing where they release one episode a week for the entire season. Crazy I know. I've written to them telling them that is definitely not going to work in television.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

I also like Shogun. My japanese is getting better.  :lol:

FX shows are found on Disney+'s Star in this part of the world.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Shogun:

It is...ok, and definitely not all that great.

The Japanese characters and actors are quite good.

The acting of Blackthorne and his portrayal (way over-the-top/over-dramatic) is rather quite bad, and detracts strongly from the rest of the show. 

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 30, 2024, 07:47:52 PMShogun:

The Japanese characters and actors are quit good.

The acting of Blackthorne and his portrayal (way over-the-top/over-dramatic) is rather quite bad, and detracts strongly from the rest of the show. 
Reminds me of Marco Polo on Netflix. Marco was by far the weakest member of the cast and it really dragged down the effort as a whole. Such wasted potential and performances by everyone else involved.  :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

HVC

His acting/portrayal gets better. He's a lot less shouty after the first episode (or maybe I just got used to it lol )
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 30, 2024, 02:27:35 PMI also like Shogun. My japanese is getting better.  :lol:
Gundam in VOJ will do that for ya.  :cool:
:D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on March 30, 2024, 08:47:58 PMHis acting/portrayal gets better. He's a lot less shouty after the first episode (or maybe I just got used to it lol )
I haven't seen it but being convinced that shouting will make foreigners understand you is actually a very accurate potrayal of an Englishman abroad. Sounds nuanced and realistic to me.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

There is this new show called Renegade Nell on Disney+.  I don't have the channel, so I don't really know.  I just saw an add and went looking for it.
A young woman accused of murder becomes an outlaw.  And she meets a spirit who gives her his power.
Innocent enought.  Might be good, might be not, but I was intrigued. 
I went to see the user reviews on IMDB.Link

Just read it.  It goes from "it's way too nice, the world is seen with pink glasses" to "there are satanic rituals and sexual assaults in there"
 :hmm:
 :D
Some people switched shows without paying attention.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 30, 2024, 02:27:35 PMI also like Shogun. My japanese is getting better.  :lol:

FX shows are found on Disney+'s Star in this part of the world.

or FX  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Gups

Quote from: HVC on March 30, 2024, 08:47:58 PMHis acting/portrayal gets better. He's a lot less shouty after the first episode (or maybe I just got used to it lol )

It's his character arc as he becomes familiar with the culture and adapts

Josephus

Came across a strange, but worthy, movie on cable the other day. It's Icelandic and called Lamb.
I won't say much more...i guess it would be categorized as horror...but it's not really scary. It has a bizarre sort of premise. I recommend it. Slow burner.

imdb
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Getting well further into it...I guess my issue is more with the actor. 

I might be tainted by liking the 80's original, but Cosmo Jarvis just doesn't come close to Richard Chamerblain.  What also really hurts him is that Chamberlain and the female lead had much better chemistry together.  Jarvis and his counterpart have terrible on-screen chemistry.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 30, 2024, 07:47:52 PMShogun:

The Japanese characters and actors are quite good.

He starts out as an uncultured barbarian, ignorant in the ways of Japan.  I thought the actor did a good job of portraying exactly that.

Josquius

Defoe - A feature length documentary film about Jermain Defoe.
A strange film to see existing. Though a very good player in his time who did a great job for a few clubs, he's never really been a superstar.
The film is serviceably made, but it just seems so weird that it exists. Who is this film for?
If you're interested in the topic then it doesn't really say too much that you won't already know (only a few things that were new to me).
Unlike Beckham who has the whole split attention between being a top athlete and a celebrity, Defoe is known for being very professional, so there's not really too much drama for those new to the topic.                                                                                                     
██████
██████
██████