News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Last episode was a little slower, what with the flashbacks. Still good though. Shame it's only one season. But I guess that means we won't have to watch the shine rub off.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Mary and George - very fun.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Also enjoying Three Body Problem and Shogun

Josephus

^^^^^^^

Ditto.

Shogun is surprisingly good. Love the little nod to the Siege of Malta

Three Body Problem and I'm two epidsodes in. Not sure what to expect, dove in not knowing anything. It's certainly different.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on March 26, 2024, 05:53:14 PMThe languages are interesting. The Harkonen one seemed almost recognisable at times.
Isn't it English without vowels?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on March 27, 2024, 04:47:34 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 26, 2024, 05:53:14 PMThe languages are interesting. The Harkonen one seemed almost recognisable at times.
Isn't it English without vowels?

Searching online I find explanations that the Sardakur language is like this. I don't know if the Harkonen one is the same?
Sometimes maybe so but at other times sounds like...warped Swedish or German or something?
██████
██████
██████

viper37

I mixed both.  Sorry. :(

Sardaukar is a stripped down English language.  No vowels, and ultra-compressed to be super efficient and faster.

QuoteHere's the recipe: -Take English -Get rid of 75% of the sounds and syllables. -Now slam what's left together.
-simplify vowel sounds down to "eh", "ah", "ee" or oo". -Speed it up by giving it an almost superhuman ability of being able to produce literally two sounds at once, sounds over sounds.
"No! We are the Sardaukar!" "N. th Sardaukar!" (compress and speed up) "nah! (Tha/Sa)daukar!
"Those who stand against us fall!" " se-who st- gai-st u- falla " (compress and speed up) "suh-oost-ageesta-fallah"
"It is done" "It s-d- (compress and speed up) "Et'sa-duh"
The only word they don't shorten is "Sardaukar".
Which is BADASS! They let that stay long.
QuoteI contacted David J. Peterson about this because I was curious too! Turns out, the Saraukar language in Part 1 and the Harkonnen language in Part 2 are both English spoken in a heavy, strange accent and modified by the sound team. Was super impressed by the Harkonnen language though, I was searching for days after I watched the film to find any information on it.
Source

Now, I can't find anything conclusive about Harkonned, but there is this from a viewer:

QuoteFour watches, two in IMAX both high lol. The Harkonen language feels like a far far future derivative of an "Americano" language: Spanish and English blended together.
Only clue came from a soldier asking "Como Nemo/Devo?" And another phrase I can't recall exactly.
Anyway, would love to learn more about the creative process behind the creation of the languages of dune.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

On another subject of interest, 50 bad movies by great directors

I have seen:
- 'Look Who's Talking Too'   (I was very, very young, please forgive me :( )
- 'Assassins'  (I liked that one!)
- 'Jupiter Ascending' (I like Mila Kunis... :blush: )
- Wild Wild West (The next Men in Black they said...)
- Death Becomes Her (It wasn't horrible...)
- Alien 3 (meh)
- Star Wars Episode 1 (the lightsaber duel was phantastic)
- Planet of the Apes (what an awful movie)
- 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'  (same)

ok, I do, occasionally watch bad movies.  But at least, I don't do it on purpose.  :yuk:

Valmy

I saw:

#50 Was Renaissance Man a bad movie? It was pointless and went nowhere and was kind of dumb but it wasn't bad. It was adequate.

#46 I also saw Look Who's Talking Too, with baby Roseanne. Yes. Very bad.

#35 Stepford Wives was bad? I feel like that film still resonates, people reference it all the time. I don't recall thinking it was bad at any time when I saw it. It was fine.

#31 I saw Sphere...yes very bad. Almost, but fails to achieve, even being so bad its good. Ugh I had forgotten about that one. And unlike something like "The Room" you went in expecting something great.

#7 I saw Episode I and yes it is a bad film in a very bland way. I didn't even really like the Lightsaber Duel but clearly people remember that fondly. I find both the prequels and sequels to be bad films, at least the ones I saw as I never saw The Last Jedi. Rogue One was decent.

"To be clear, the prequels got better as they went along. The third one is actually pretty great." LOL hard disagree Rolling Stone.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

I actually really enjoyed A Good Year and Oz The Great and Powerful. I enjoyed aspects of Episode I despite it overall being not great and am actually looking forward to watching it again after reading a lot of the new canon books. We'll see if it disappoints me yet again.  :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

I thought Assassins was fun, but I also haven't rewatched it in over 20 years. Wild Wild West is a silly movie and not that great, but it's a guilty pleasure for me. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I thought crystal skull was decent.
Certainly better than the most recent one.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Aren't the Wachowskis bad directors with one great movie at this point?

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on March 28, 2024, 03:45:59 AMAren't the Wachowskis bad directors with one great movie at this point?
Cloud Atlas was great. Speed Racer too.

edit- quick wiki check and I'm reminded V for Vendetta was them too. It was OK.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Booking tickets and just realised there's a big Savarkar biopic out - which doesn't seem great :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!