News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on March 14, 2024, 05:06:32 PMIs it a remake of the movie or is it simply based on the same comics?

They say it's a based on the comic, but the plot is pretty simple so not sure how it can't be a remake. It's the Eric Draven storyline

I know there was a panned sequel, but didn't realize there were two other failed sequels (one with Kirsten Dunst)  that went straight to video.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on March 14, 2024, 05:06:32 PMIs it a remake of the movie or is it simply based on the same comics?
I don't know.  30 years later, Hollywood still seems to have about the same level of security measures implemented on its sets, except that cockroaches are better protected than human beings.

It's hard to tell if they still plan on killing their lead.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I thought I was done with dinos after that last awful movie, but seeing this news, I'm tempted:
Scarlett Johansson offered the lead role in Gareth Edwards Jurassic city

Gareth Edwards.  Scarlett Johansson.

I'm tempted now.

Not gonna pay 21$ for the cinema experience though.  I'll fly the banner of liberty for sure, but I'll take time to watch.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 06, 2024, 05:01:29 PMDune 2 - Chani is given greater depth but the way it was done was at the cost of making Jessica one-dimensional and altering her character and motivations in significant ways.  Villeneuve strongly plays up the aspect of Hebert's potrayal of religion as a powerful tool of political manipulation but gives less airtime to its role in cultural preservation and self-strengthening. 

I saw it yesterday - I agree with all of this. 

I didn't like how the movie turned the religious beliefs of the Freeman into a cheap manipulation so long as Jessica and Paul played their parts.  I also didn't like the factionalism of the Freeman between Southern Fundamentalists and Northern agnostics.  And especially making Chani into an agnostic who is just into Paul and is a spurned lover at the end.

But I guess the writers had to do that because the time line was compressed so much.  The movie took the short cut of introducing a vast army of fundamentalists who already believed Paul was their messiah.  I wish they had not taken that shortcut.  It made the Freeman look comically silly at times when they took everything Paul did as immediately a sign that he was the chosen one, when in fact it took a process of years.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2024, 05:01:27 PMHoly crap - they're remaking / rebooting The Crow?

https://arstechnica.com/culture/2024/03/trailer-for-the-crow-reboot-seeks-to-update-cult-classic-for-the-21st-century/

So look - The Crow wasn't my favourite movie of all time.  I haven't seen it in 30 years.  But it was also a fucking iconic movie (with a killer soundtrack).  As Brandon Lee's breakthrough role (in which he also died while filming) it's almost sacred.

Talk about a reboot that didn't need to be made...
.....I'm quite keen :lol:

It's iconic, yes. But I think it seems like a film that's absolutely ripe for a re-make. It's very of its time in style and look and soundtrack and it's a cult film that has I think more ambition than reach (which I love).

Hopefully we'll get a Dark City re-make too :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

celedhring

Add to the "why are they making this again?" list the Ripley series (shot in B/W because reasons) that I learned about today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ri2biYLeaI

I suppose it will include stuff from the other Ripley novels, but meh.

HVC

You missed a chance for a "believe it or not" joke :(

Sheilbh

I feel like it'll need a lot of other stuff from the novels to justify TV series length :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Speaking of remakes no one asked for. Saw over the weekend that apparently a remake of Wages Of Fear is in the works ...

https://collider.com/the-wages-of-fear-remake-netflix/

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

New adaptation of the book, or remake of the movie ?

There is already Sorcerer, so it's pointless, a priori.

Admiral Yi

Rewatched Game of Thrones, and in doing so saw the infamous season 8 for the first time.

I honestly don't know what the big stink was about.  The big zombie battle was pretty silly, but I thought everything else worked fine.  There was a lot that I found quite moving.

Also rewatched The Revenant.  Damn fine movie but I really don't need all those scenes of the wife whispering in the trees.

HVC

Season 8 was rushed, is the main problem. The story lines themselves were fine, it was the execution that was iffy. Plus they went overboard making dark scenes too dark.

The funniest gnashing of teeth were from those who missed all the foreshadowing and named their kids a variation of Daenerys :D

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 22, 2024, 10:58:19 AMSeason 8 was rushed, is the main problem. The story lines themselves were fine, it was the execution that was iffy. Plus they went overboard making dark scenes too dark.

The funniest gnashing of teeth were from those who missed all the foreshadowing and named their kids a variation of Daenerys :D

"Khaleesi".  But yes. :D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2024, 10:34:58 AMRewatched Game of Thrones, and in doing so saw the infamous season 8 for the first time.

I honestly don't know what the big stink was about.  The big zombie battle was pretty silly, but I thought everything else worked fine.  There was a lot that I found quite moving.

Also rewatched The Revenant.  Damn fine movie but I really don't need all those scenes of the wife whispering in the trees.

Season 7 had some horrible story choices. Season 8 was a horribly paced mess with an ending that made very little sense.

I couldn't finish The Revenant when I tried to watch it. Note to directors: slow means dull, not deep. Even the bear attack had me checking my phone.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.