News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 06, 2024, 06:35:55 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 06, 2024, 05:15:43 PMMy wife and I recently started watching 'The Americans' (it's not a new show... we'd just never watched it before).  It's pretty great. :)

Yeah it's excellent and also Keri Russell is gorgeous

As an aside, their children won the right to obtain Canadian citizenship in a significant Supreme Court of Canada decision which fundamentally changed the standards for judicial review in this country.

Syt

Loudermilk is on Netflix. Ron Livingston, in a surprise twist ( :P ), plays a curmudgeonly but good-hearted fuck-up (see: Office Space, Band of Brothers, ... ). :D

Liked the first episode. :)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on March 06, 2024, 05:15:43 PMMy wife and I recently started watching 'The Americans' (it's not a new show... we'd just never watched it before).  It's pretty great. :)

I recall being really into the first series or two but then losing track. I've tried to watch it 2 or 3 times now with the same result.

Does the quality dip or is it just me getting bored?
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

You getting bored. The later seasons are tighter and more focused than the earlier, IMO, especially season 1.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Watched the Oscars tonight, first time in maybe 40 years.  How long have they been doing this thing where five presenters go on stage and tell all the nominees they're the greatest actor that ever lived?  It sucks.

And what was the deal with Al Pacino?  Did they run out of time to name the nominees or did Al have a senior moment?

celedhring

Oscars were predictable. Oppenheimer wouldn't have been my pick in most categories it won, but it's obvious the Academy has been hungering for a popular movie good enough to shower it with Oscars for a while.

But if this and Dune usher in a modest return of the "big budget adult movie", I'll be happy.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2024, 11:39:49 PM\And what was the deal with Al Pacino?  Did they run out of time to name the nominees or did Al have a senior moment?

Pacino took the opportunity to play "Al Pacino" presenting an Oscar.
Never use a Method actor as a presenter.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 06, 2024, 06:35:55 PM

Yeah it's excellent and also Keri Russell is gorgeous
I didn't realize she was such a great actress till I saw this... think I only ever saw her on Felicity before  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Josquius on March 07, 2024, 11:46:07 AMI recall being really into the first series or two but then losing track. I've tried to watch it 2 or 3 times now with the same result.

Does the quality dip or is it just me getting bored?
I'm only on season 2 (toward the end of it now), so can't really say yet.

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on March 07, 2024, 12:15:09 PMYou getting bored. The later seasons are tighter and more focused than the earlier, IMO, especially season 1.
The main gripe I've voiced to my wife is that Soviet (and now Russian) deep cover agents are nowhere near as competent as these two are portrayed. :sleep:

Josquius

I'm watching secret invasion.

You know. It's not as bad as people say. As could be expected from marvel without super heroes.

The random out of place exposition dumps are dumb and transparent but... I dunno. Better than what many shows manage.
And the black history month bits are odd and seem out of nowhere. But again Meh, many others do it worse.

I'm amazed they've got some reasonably big names in the supporting cast. That's weird.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josquius on March 11, 2024, 03:39:32 PMI'm watching secret invasion.

You know. It's not as bad as people say. As could be expected from marvel without super heroes.

The random out of place exposition dumps are dumb and transparent but... I dunno. Better than what many shows manage.
And the black history month bits are odd and seem out of nowhere. But again Meh, many others do it worse.

I'm amazed they've got some reasonably big names in the supporting cast. That's weird.
It cost a fortune to make, and the crappy CGI indicates they didn't spend it all on that and the dialogue.
PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2024, 08:27:14 AMAs an aside, their children won the right to obtain Canadian citizenship in a significant Supreme Court of Canada decision which fundamentally changed the standards for judicial review in this country.
Are you talking about Kerri Russell and Matthew Rhys here?  That's interesting... details?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on March 12, 2024, 10:46:43 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2024, 08:27:14 AMAs an aside, their children won the right to obtain Canadian citizenship in a significant Supreme Court of Canada decision which fundamentally changed the standards for judicial review in this country.
Are you talking about Kerri Russell and Matthew Rhys here?  That's interesting... details?

Here is the headnote from the case

QuoteV was born in Toronto in 1994. At the time of his birth, his parents were posing as Canadians under assumed names. In reality, they were foreign nationals working on assignment for the Russian foreign intelligence service. V did not know that his parents were not who they claimed to be. He believed that he was a Canadian citizen by birth, he lived and identified as a Canadian, and he held a Canadian passport. In 2010, V's parents were arrested in the United States and charged with espionage. They pled guilty and were returned to Russia. Following their arrest, V's attempts to renew his Canadian passport proved unsuccessful. However, in 2013, he was issued a certificate of Canadian citizenship.

Then, in 2014, the Canadian Registrar of Citizenship cancelled V's certificate on the basis of her interpretation of s. 3(2)(a) of the Citizenship Act. This provision exempts children of "a diplomatic or consular officer or other representative or employee in Canada of a foreign government" from the general rule that individuals born in Canada acquire Canadian citizenship by birth. The Registrar concluded that because V's parents were employees or representatives of Russia at the time of V's birth, the exception to the rule of citizenship by birth in s. 3(2)(a), as she interpreted it, applied to V, who therefore was not, and had never been, entitled to citizenship. V's application for judicial review of the Registrar's decision was dismissed by the Federal Court. The Court of Appeal allowed V's appeal and quashed the Registrar's decision because it was unreasonable. The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration appeals.

Held: The appeal should be dismissed.

HVC

Another great Shogun episode.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.