News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I thought Battlefield Earth was hilarious; it's like a "Treehouse of Horrors" bit made into a feature length movie (with Johan Travolta and Forest Whitaker as Kang and Kodos.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

I happened to watch 10-15 minutes of the Ridley Scott Robin Hood. It was horrible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Robin and Marion was the only Robin Hood movie that I thought had heft.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Agree, Robin and Marion is my favorite movie with the characters as well.

That 'ol 80's Robin of Sherwood series from the UK/ITV is also a good version I think.  That might be mostly nostalgia talking though.  (still think the actor portraying the Sheriff of Nottingham was fantastic though)

Josquius

Despite the soundtrack I do remember the Kevin Costner one being good.

Is the ridley Scott one the weird modern day reimaging? I've only caught a snippet on TV and it does seem bad.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I have really fond memories of Prince of Thieves. Obviously Rickman's great - but it and The Lion King are the only films I distinctively remember watching in the cinema as a kid.

I was terrified of the witch for quite a long time after I saw it.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

The real answer is Robin Hood: Men in Tights  :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on June 13, 2023, 04:33:26 AMThe real answer is Robin Hood: Men in Tights  :P

Indeed.

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 12, 2023, 09:46:06 PMThat 'ol 80's Robin of Sherwood series from the UK/ITV is also a good version I think.  That might be mostly nostalgia talking though.  (still think the actor portraying the Sheriff of Nottingham was fantastic though)

If that's the show I remember, it had a great soundtrack.  Don't recall anything else about it, though, except maybe a vague recollection that they had to recast the lead.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 12, 2023, 09:46:06 PMThat 'ol 80's Robin of Sherwood series from the UK/ITV is also a good version I think.  That might be mostly nostalgia talking though.  (still think the actor portraying the Sheriff of Nottingham was fantastic though)

I liked Sir Guy of Gisburne as well, described in the blu-ray extras as "evil as a Tory minister".  :P
So still less evil than Mordred in Excalibur, his first great role in movies.

Liked the Templars episode but the Swords of Wayland is probably the best.

The series survived the recasting of the lead (ending up later in the Dynasty Soap...), as grumbler recalled.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on June 13, 2023, 03:44:11 AMDespite the soundtrack I do remember the Kevin Costner one being good.

Is the ridley Scott one the weird modern day reimaging? I've only caught a snippet on TV and it does seem bad.
No, the Ridley Scott Robin Hood movie is with Russel Crowe.  It features an amphibious attack on the shores of England by the French army, with a successful counter-attack by the English and the forces of Robin of Locksley.

The kinda modern day reimaging is really bad, but it's not Scott.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

The Kevin Costner one was quite good.  Except the accent.  And whatshisname from True Romance.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 13, 2023, 10:19:30 AM

I liked Sir Guy of Gisburne as well, described in the blu-ray extras as "evil as a Tory minister".  :P
So still less evil than Mordred in Excalibur, his first great role in movies.

Liked the Templars episode but the Swords of Wayland is probably the best.

The series survived the recasting of the lead (ending up later in the Dynasty Soap...), as grumbler recalled.

Yeah, I thought they way that they did the recasting was rather elegant in fact, and worked well with the Robin Hood mythology they developed and some of the legend.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 13, 2023, 04:14:12 PM
Quote from: Josquius on June 13, 2023, 03:44:11 AMDespite the soundtrack I do remember the Kevin Costner one being good.

No, the Ridley Scott Robin Hood movie is with Russel Crowe.  It features an amphibious attack on the shores of England by the French army, with a successful counter-attack by the English and the forces of Robin of Locksley.

It had this weird anti-French thing in it. No I don't mean like Saxon peasants resenting their Norman-French overlords or something. Like the Angevins and Alienòr d'Aquitània were all freaking out the true born son of England Jean Sans-Terre was being seduced and corrupted by the evil French trollop Isabelle d'Angoulême.

It was so weird. The House of Anjou all freaking out by being corrupted by continental values!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2023, 11:33:14 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 13, 2023, 04:14:12 PM

It had this weird anti-French thing in it. No I don't mean like Saxon peasants resenting their Norman-French overlords or something. Like the Angevins and Alienòr d'Aquitània were all freaking out the true born son of England Jean Sans-Terre was being seduced and corrupted by the evil French trollop Isabelle d'Angoulême.

It was so weird. The House of Anjou all freaking out by being corrupted by continental values!

I laughed at the fake French-accented dialog, as in franglais from anglos, in a phonetically learnt way, by evil shaved heads, of a tanned complexion.  :lol:

I watched it in a cinema but I had a cinema card (flat rate) fortunately.