News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

This week's episode of Lower Decks was good, but IMHO not as good as the rest of the season so far. FOr half of it I was thinking, "WTF am I watching?? :lol: " and it felt very old school Saturday morning cartoon.

I admit I'm not the biggest fan of Peanut Hamper, so that probably colors my perception. Gorgeous soundtrack, though. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on October 05, 2022, 08:15:30 PMMore historical than Vikings.

I've not watched Vikings, but I've very much tempered any historical expectations I'd have watching it, seeing it more in line with something like Spartacus: Tits & Dicks Blood & Sand :P

Esp. since I learned that in the show Hedeby/Haithabu looks something like this:

It's an hour's or so drive from where I grew up, and the site looks more like this:

Schleswig-Holstein is not known for its alpine mountains. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Spartacus is nothing like Vikings. If it was Spartacus would have been fighting in the Colosseum in front of Nero.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 06, 2022, 08:41:13 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 05, 2022, 08:15:30 PMMore historical than Vikings.

I've not watched Vikings, but I've very much tempered any historical expectations I'd have watching it, seeing it more in line with something like Spartacus: Tits & Dicks Blood & Sand :P

Esp. since I learned that in the show Hedeby/Haithabu looks something like this:

It's an hour's or so drive from where I grew up, and the site looks more like this:

Schleswig-Holstein is not known for its alpine mountains. :P
Vikings is set in Norway, while historically, the main character, Ragnar Lothbrok, if he existed, was from Denmark.
Also, it is a compressed history of all the viking age in time and space around one family, that of Ragnar Lothbrok and his sons.

It is a very good show, characters dress and behave like they are supposed to, but that's about it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

So basically like Netflix's Norsemen :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 06, 2022, 09:58:33 AMVikings is set in Norway, while historically, the main character, Ragnar Lothbrok, if he existed, was from Denmark.
Also, it is a compressed history of all the viking age in time and space around one family, that of Ragnar Lothbrok and his sons.

It is a very good show, characters dress and behave like they are supposed to, but that's about it.

So they moved Haithabu / Hedeby to Norway? Why didn't they just use Kaupang instead, at least it's in Norway and has a few more hills.

The Brain

Vikings is the kind of show that has a guy travelling east along the Silk Road for months end up in Kiev. I don't know what more needs to be said.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on October 06, 2022, 01:36:49 PMVikings is the kind of show that has a guy travelling east along the Silk Road for months end up in Kiev. I don't know what more needs to be said.

Oh  :(

Josquius

I zoned out in the first series when they discovered the mystical never seen before isle of England via the cutting edge new compass tech.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 06, 2022, 01:28:27 PMSo they moved Haithabu / Hedeby to Norway? Why didn't they just use Kaupang instead, at least it's in Norway and has a few more hills.

I have no idea why.  I know they mostly shot in Ireland, so that explains why they set their fictional "Kattegat" in Norway, but as for the rest, maybe because they were more well know cities.  I don't really know.

@Brain:
He fled Norway and travelled through commerce ways, by sea and land.  We only saw the last part of his trip.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on October 06, 2022, 03:52:24 PMI zoned out in the first series when they discovered the mystical never seen before idle of England via the cutting edge new compass tech.

That's the point I said "pass" as well.  There's being silly, and then there's insulting the viewers' intelligence.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on October 06, 2022, 03:52:24 PMI zoned out in the first series when they discovered the mystical never seen before isle of England via the cutting edge new compass tech.

:wacko:

Josephus

Quote from: Josquius on October 06, 2022, 03:52:24 PMI zoned out in the first series when they discovered the mystical never seen before isle of England via the cutting edge new compass tech.

Yeah, that got me, but I still continued to watch it. It's pretty good (for a few more seasons anyway). I never expect anything close to historical accuracy in these things. These shows primarily are written with the lowest common denominator audience in mind, who likely wouldn't have a clue where vikings even came from. It was entertaining stuff. The Last Kingdom is better though.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Darth Wagtaros

I want to see that.  It looks fucked up in the right ways.  Not the wrong ways.
PDH!