News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Been watching clips of Mr. In Between.  Australian production on FX about a hit man with a kind heart.  Pretty good.  Too bad no one will see it on FX.

The Brain

Gypsy S1. Creepy therapist gets obsessed with young patient's hot ex. Good enough to keep me watching (or maybe the ex was simply hot enough), but it somehow feels a bit limited. There are things that are never really explained, like why the ex gets and remains interested in the therapist.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on October 03, 2022, 07:36:18 AMGypsy S1. Creepy therapist gets obsessed with young patient's hot ex. Good enough to keep me watching (or maybe the ex was simply hot enough), but it somehow feels a bit limited. There are things that are never really explained[/color].

Ah but it was great. Cut down too soon.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Season finale of Reservation Dogs was pretty good.

Only saw a bit of SNL. The opening was decent, if long. The other two I saw were meh.

I still enjoy She Hulk. 
PDH!

Syt

Since I'm on a bit of a CK3 trip at the moment I've started watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix (4 episodes in). Is it historical? Probably not. Is it overly melodramatic? Sure. Is it ticking pretty much all the Saxons v Danes tropes? Of course. Still makes for enjoyable watching IMHO. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2022, 01:26:05 AMSince I'm on a bit of a CK3 trip at the moment I've started watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix (4 episodes in). Is it historical? Probably not. Is it overly melodramatic? Sure. Is it ticking pretty much all the Saxons v Danes tropes? Of course. Still makes for enjoyable watching IMHO. :)

Is that the one where they kill off Matthew Macfadyen early? :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on October 05, 2022, 01:26:05 AMSince I'm on a bit of a CK3 trip at the moment I've started watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix (4 episodes in). Is it historical? Probably not. Is it overly melodramatic? Sure. Is it ticking pretty much all the Saxons v Danes tropes? Of course. Still makes for enjoyable watching IMHO. :)

Thanks Syt for the reminder, I really should resume watching, as you say it ticks those boxes.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

It's historical in the very limited sense that certain historical persons - namely Alfred and his family - appear and mostly do what they are supposed to do.  Set design tries to capture an early medieval vibe.

Whoever did the writing (I think its taken from novels) has a bitter anti-Wales streak.  The Welsh are portrayed very unsympathetically.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 05, 2022, 02:41:30 PMIt's historical in the very limited sense that certain historical persons - namely Alfred and his family - appear and mostly do what they are supposed to do.  Set design tries to capture an early medieval vibe.

Whoever did the writing (I think its taken from novels) has a bitter anti-Wales streak.  The Welsh are portrayed very unsympathetically.

iirc, written by Bernard Cornwell. Same guy who wrote Sharpe.

Josephus

I tried reading the books, but all those middle period English names sound alike and I got confused.  Aethylfred, Aethlyfrid...
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 05, 2022, 04:30:06 PMI tried reading the books, but all those middle period English names sound alike and I got confused.  Aethylfred, Aethlyfrid...

The first few books are good fun.  But they all follow the same basic formula, so once you get into about the middle of the series, it becomes a bit repetitive.

I am giving the Sharpe series a go, and I am enjoying that.

Jacob

I've read a few of Cornwell's books on various topics. It's the type of thing I usually enjoy - historical action fiction in the Dark Ages in particular... but yeah, I found I didn't enjoy the style too much. "Oh here's the villainous villain, doing villainous thing. He's just so despicable." I found it boring pretty quickly.

celedhring

I need Sheilbh to come back so I have someone to swoon over Moonage Daydream with.

grumbler

Cornwell is generally good for about three books in a series, but then runs into the "next antagonist must be even more challenging" wall of requiring ridiculous events to overcome. 

There are damn few writers that can sustain more than about three to five books in a series. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

More historical than Vikings. Uthred was a real English noble that existed 2 centuries later.  The main character is very loosely inspired by him.

It is a very good show, imho.  :)

I know nothing of the books.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.