News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on September 26, 2022, 06:21:40 PMThe 25 most patriotic films of all time

Nice list, some cheesy movies in there.

Yeah, I didn't think that Independence Day or The Patriot were very patriotism-inducing.  Nausea-inducing is the better description. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 26, 2022, 10:49:46 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 26, 2022, 06:21:40 PMThe 25 most patriotic films of all time

Nice list, some cheesy movies in there.

Yeah, I didn't think that Independence Day or The Patriot were very patriotism-inducing.  Nausea-inducing is the better description. 
they said they were patriotic, not patriotic-inducing.

An American killing a British Red Coat with an american flag durint the Revolution?  Can't get more patriotic than that!  Unless there was a movie about the war of 1812 when the Americans blew up Toronto York... :P

As for Independence Day, the President tried to sacrifice himself to save humanity*, just like Jesus, man!  It's not inducing anything but laughs, but it's still a patriotic moment.

* well, part of America, but in movies, that's the same :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Do we have a HoD spoilers thread? I can only find the old GoT thread,

Just want to talk about the last episode without having to use the whole white ink thing. It's a bit annoying.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2022, 02:03:10 AMDo we have a HoD spoilers thread? I can only find the old GoT thread,

Just want to talk about the last episode without having to use the whole white ink thing. It's a bit annoying.

Not a fan of the 10 year time jump?  :P

Tamas

I don't like the whole "everyone always have their father's hair colour" thing. I realise you cannot really do easily recognisable facial features between fathers and children when the actors aren't related, but it's kind of lame.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on September 28, 2022, 04:52:20 AMI don't like the whole "everyone always have their father's hair colour" thing. I realise you cannot really do easily recognisable facial features between fathers and children when the actors aren't related, but it's kind of lame.

Well, the king kinda sees it like you and seems to have at least observational experience with Mendelian genetic inheritance.  :P

The case of Rhaenyra and Laenor is a bit more complicated, as both parents have the Valyrian platinum blonde thing going on. At least in the books there are example of non blonde Targs, but that's explained by them having not 100% pure pedigree Valyrian descendance.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on September 28, 2022, 04:26:37 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2022, 02:03:10 AMDo we have a HoD spoilers thread? I can only find the old GoT thread,

I knew it was coming but I still found it super jarring. Bunch of a new characters all of a sudden, people behaving very differently than 10 years ago... it didn't work for me.

Also I feel they could have got the same actress to play both versions of Alicent. Keep the actor changes at a minimum.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2022, 07:21:16 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 28, 2022, 04:26:37 AM

I knew it was coming but I still found it super jarring. Bunch of a new characters all of a sudden, people behaving very differently than 10 years ago... it didn't work for me.

Also I feel they could have got the same actress to play both versions of Alicent. Keep the actor changes at a minimum.

I agree it could have been done better. What I found most jarring is how suddenly you have two relatively new characters on the board who have risen to prominence in the 10 year interim and are obviously important for their dynamics with the main ones (Harwyn Strong and Laena Velaryon) and then you dispose of them in the same episode. I could have done with one episode or two in which they are shown as relevant characters before that.

Disagree on the need of changing the actress for Alicent, though, the previous one was too young looking to play somebody pushing 30 like the character is at this point.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2022, 07:21:16 AMAlso I feel they could have got the same actress to play both versions of Alicent. Keep the actor changes at a minimum.

I thought it might be the same actress. Looks very similar.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

Watched the Elvis movie with Hanks last night on HBO.

Kind of sucked, overall. They were going for this Moulin Rouge kind of thing, and it really didn't work. Left me caring less about Elvis Presley then before I watched it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

New planet of the Apes movie announced, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, starring Freya Allen (Ciri, The Witcher).

No details on the plot, release set for 2024.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Great Lower Decks episode, again. Loved being back on DS9, but my favorite scene was Mariner phasering the girls while Jennifer laughed and clapped. WTF? :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

ah, that one is funny.
Jurassic World Dominion Director Admits The Sequels Shouldn't Exist

QuoteJurassic World Dominion director Colin Trevorrow recently admitted that neither it nor the other Jurassic Park sequels should exist.

Trevorrow described the original Jurassic Park's standalone nature as a distinct challenge for those trying to make follow-up films in an interview with Empire. "For the franchise to be able to move forward -- because it's inherently unfranchisable, there probably should have only been one Jurassic Park -- but if we're gonna do it, how can I allow them to tell stories in a world in which dinosaurs exist as opposed to, 'Here's another reason why we're going to an island?" he said.

Trevorrow added that he wanted to "change the DNA of the franchise" with Jurassic World Dominion by altering the status quo established by previous entries in the canon. He noted that, unlike the previous five Jurassic Park movies, Jurassic World Dominion explores whether humans and dinosaurs can co-exist, rather than pitting the two species against each other. Trevorrow also said that, despite the way the film was marketed, he doesn't believe that Jurassic World Dominion will truly mark the end of the Jurassic franchise itself.

What's Next After Jurassic World Dominion?

Exactly what the future holds in store for fans of the series Trevorrow didn't say, however, he's previously addressed the viability of a crossover between Jurassic Park and The Fast and the Furious. The director shot down the hypothetical project in no uncertain terms, saying its premise didn't appeal to him as someone interested in making films that are true to the spirit of the original movie. Trevorrow did concede that a mash-up movie featuring Jason Bourne could work, however, and called the idea of a crossover between Jurassic World and The Purge "cool."

Trevorrow also recently weighed in on whether an R-rated Jurassic Park movie should happen. He explained that he was in favor of such a project, so long as it told a self-contained story separate from the wider franchise. Trevorrow also expressed concerns at the idea of making a Jurassic Park movie that younger fans couldn't enjoy. "If a parent took their kid to that movie and horrified them for life, I know that would be a problem. Look, I don't want to put any cuffs on whoever has a vision for this in the future. All I know is that people love dinosaurs, people love movies with dinosaurs in them, and I know people love the world that [Jurassic Park author] Michael Crichton created," he said.

that's funny. very funny.  I wish he'd said that like before we all watched the movie? :wacko: :rolleyes:

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zoupa on September 23, 2022, 12:14:38 AMThe best fantasy show since GoT season 5 has been The Witcher.

but competent at not raping the source-material the writers of The Witcher aren't

The Brain

The Northman. Eric Northman needs vengeance, personal hygiene. It's pretty good as Viking movies go (which isn't a strong field, certainly). I liked that clothes etc were reasonably historical, and I liked the portrayal of the mystical aspects. The Conan the Barbarian reference was nice. At points it risks getting too slow and grunty, but it manages to avoid disaster.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.