News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

I am loving the season of lower decks

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 15, 2022, 10:39:20 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 15, 2022, 10:30:01 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 13, 2022, 09:18:31 PMI've avoided House of the Dragon but I just watched these 4 episodes and wow, and it's really really good.

Surprised that you and others think that. Average IMO. Some good acting. Some pretty poor acting. Storyline seems a bit random and not very interesting. Dialogue OK but nothing like as good as early GoT with no humour. It's fine and I'll probably watch to the end but I hope it improves.   

I think early GoT is a level above this, I agree. This show also doesn't have someone as charismatic as Tyrion in the cast. He and Tywin really raised the bar for me in the early seasons of GoT.

I've not read the book Dragon is based on though.

House of the Dragon benefits a lot from me having had such low expectations  :lol: But I do agree with Celed that it is easily the best of fantasy TV show for the last few years.

Yeah GOT certainly had more interesting characters....don't forget Little Finger and the bald eunuch. There's nothing like the ones mentioned above or these.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

It gets more action-y eventually. Whether that's good or bad we'll see. There are s9me scenes which I think will look very bad on tv.

As for GoT I remember the first season being a bit cringy with the children actors (they got better)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2022, 02:56:59 PMBlack mermaids aren't scientifically accurate

Do we laugh? Do we cry?

It was a joke.  And a pretty good one, actually, given that many marine mammals are dark, so the joke couldn't be taken as a serious argument.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

The lord of the rings tv show isn't really getting any better. Added to that galadriel gets more annoying with each episode. She's insufferably arrogant without anything to back it up. Which I guess is elf like, but doesn't really sell a main character.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2022, 03:44:24 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 16, 2022, 02:56:59 PMBlack mermaids aren't scientifically accurate

Do we laugh? Do we cry?

It was a joke.  And a pretty good one, actually, given that many marine mammals are dark, so the joke couldn't be taken as a serious argument.

Out of all the sperm whales in the sea, Melville had to write about a white one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on September 16, 2022, 10:40:02 PMThe lord of the rings tv show isn't really getting any better. Added to that galadriel gets more annoying with each episode. She's insufferably arrogant without anything to back it up. Which I guess is elf like, but doesn't really sell a main character.

Yeah, this is the first episode when I really felt "ok, this is bad now". Also, I'd say there's a difference between being arrogant and being also an idiot (who still miracously gets her way despite blundering each and every step of the way).

But the problem is not merely her character. The writing is mediocre across the board, with some exceptions. Running in parallel to HoD makes for some pretty damning comparison.

Syt

RIP Henry Silva, who you may remember from a ton of stuff (including original Oceans 11 and Manchurian Candidate or Buck Rogers in the 25th Century).

One of those many workhorse actors where you may not remember the name, but when you see their face go, "Oh, that guy."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on September 16, 2022, 10:40:02 PMThe lord of the rings tv show isn't really getting any better. Added to that galadriel gets more annoying with each episode. She's insufferably arrogant without anything to back it up. Which I guess is elf like, but doesn't really sell a main character.
I saw Joe Barton on Twitter saying - and I think this is right - people want it to be GoT, but it wants to be basically a very expensive Merlin.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I agree I struggle a bit to maintain my interest but it's pretty and it feels reasonably Tolkienesque.

I am not sure we can have an authentic middle earth-feeling story with the style of Got. You can have one or the other.

Sheilbh

Not tonally because GoT is written against Tolkien in a way. But just a bit of a sense of depth - that seems to me like the one thing you should be able to get from a Tolkien adaptation?
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

I like GoT better then LoTR, both in book form* and tv form, but I understand they're different. I just want the TV show to be good. So far it's ok but I'm getting less enthused.

* I hated the hobbit when i had to read it in school)

crazy canuck

I think the problem is there is no comparison between the two. Game of Thrones is kind of historical fantasy loosely based on historical events. Lord of the rings is mythology presented through the story of legend. You can't really expect them to be equivalent in someway.