And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Yes, that is the plan....the only caveat being that if we win, we don't get to host.

Note, there's no guarantee we, Canada, will be in the big finale. There's a round or two of competition before it gets to that stage.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 19, 2022, 01:57:26 PMYes, that is the plan....the only caveat being that if we win, we don't get to host.

Note, there's no guarantee we, Canada, will be in the big finale. There's a round or two of competition before it gets to that stage.

Meowtf?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

...actually I'm finding it hard to confirm either way. Some reports say it's just a standalone, Canada Eurovision thing. Others say we'll participate, like Australia, in the actual contest. So I don't know. Seeking confirmation ....
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 19, 2022, 01:13:38 PMJoin us.

You can already see Canada on that map. Not all of it, though.

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on May 19, 2022, 06:05:41 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 14, 2022, 11:40:32 AMI'm actually up for nuking eurovision.

Canada's in the next one  :)

French or English song?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on May 19, 2022, 02:07:39 PM...actually I'm finding it hard to confirm either way. Some reports say it's just a standalone, Canada Eurovision thing. Others say we'll participate, like Australia, in the actual contest. So I don't know. Seeking confirmation ....

They got their own Frenchies and socialized medicine. I think they count as European.

Sheilbh

Plus Celine Dion's already won it (for Switzerland).
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2022, 11:13:49 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2022, 10:02:18 PMRather it is not clear they have those rights and even if they did it is not certain they would use them.

You must've started this post before I edited in the last part - seems to me they explicitly have those rights.

I must have missed where it says that in the article-it's not in the bit you quoted.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2022, 10:37:29 PMI must have missed where it says that in the article-it's not in the bit you quoted.

I mean neither of us are IP lawyers (and we don't have the legal text, just a news article), but you're at least a lawyer so maybe your interpretation is more accurate - but I'd think this bit covers it.

QuoteThe deal does give Marvel permission to use Lee's name, voice, likeness and signature in movies and television projects, as well as to use images, existing footage and existing audio recordings featuring him. The rights to use Lee's name, voice, likeness and signature exclusively in theme parks, cruise lines and in-park merchandise were also included in the deal. Audiences and parkgoers could see Lee turn up as figures and toys, and on apparel and stationery.

crazy canuck

And I don't see what the problem is if they use an image that was created before his death.

So I will ask again, what is the big deal here?

When a Star Wars actor dies, should they stop using their image?

Eddie Teach

They could animate the image to do new things the person might never have done.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Not that a big of a deal.

Charles Darwin is out there endorsing Pringles chips.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

There's is it a legal problem, is it an ethical problem, and then is it fucked up and weird even if it passes these checks.
██████
██████
██████