And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

QuoteIt really ensures that Stan, through digital technology and archival footage and other forms, will live in the most important venue, the Marvel movies, and Disney theme parks,"

Stop the world I want to get off :cry:
██████
██████
██████

HVC

When you sell your soul to the devil he collects.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

I don't understand, what is the problem?

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2022, 05:47:45 PMI don't understand, what is the problem?

It's kind of ghoulish to use CG to monetize a dead person.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2022, 07:57:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2022, 05:47:45 PMI don't understand, what is the problem?

It's kind of ghoulish to use CG to monetize a dead person.

The article says they are not going to use his image.

Perhaps you guys read the article before the clarification was added?

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2022, 08:06:29 PMThe article says they are not going to use his image.

That's correct, I read it before the clarification.

Though the clarification says his likeness will not be used in VR and videogames. My understanding of the article is that they're very much up for using it in theme parks an movies - with the following caveat:

QuoteHowever, this new deal does not necessarily pave the way for the return of Lee cameos in movies, at least not in the way fans traditionally knew them, insiders caution. It is unclear if the public even has an appetite to see Lee digitally resurrected, as actors such as Carrie Fisher or Peter Cushing were in certain Star Wars movies.

To me that sounds like they'll absolutely do just that, the moment they think it'll generate positive marketing buzz... but that they need a proper marketing and monetization plan before they can pull it off.

Jacob

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2022, 08:12:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2022, 08:06:29 PMThe article says they are not going to use his image.

Though the clarification says his likeness will not be used in VR and videogames. My understanding of the article is that they're very much up for using it in theme parks an movies - with the following caveat:

QuoteHowever, this new deal does not necessarily pave the way for the return of Lee cameos in movies, at least not in the way fans traditionally knew them, insiders caution. It is unclear if the public even has an appetite to see Lee digitally resurrected, as actors such as Carrie Fisher or Peter Cushing were in certain Star Wars movies.

To me that sounds like they'll absolutely do just that, the moment they think it'll generate positive marketing buzz... but that they need a proper marketing and monetization plan before they can pull it off.

From the article:

QuoteThe deal does give Marvel permission to use Lee's name, voice, likeness and signature in movies and television projects, as well as to use images, existing footage and existing audio recordings featuring him. The rights to use Lee's name, voice, likeness and signature exclusively in theme parks, cruise lines and in-park merchandise were also included in the deal. Audiences and parkgoers could see Lee turn up as figures and toys, and on apparel and stationery.

It'd be weird to buy all those rights and then not exploit them to the fullest....

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 18, 2022, 08:12:06 PM

Rather it is not clear they have those rights and even if they did it is not certain they would use them.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2022, 10:02:18 PMRather it is not clear they have those rights and even if they did it is not certain they would use them.

You must've started this post before I edited in the last part - seems to me they explicitly have those rights.

Josephus

Quote from: Josquius on May 14, 2022, 11:40:32 AMI'm actually up for nuking eurovision.

Canada's in the next one  :)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on May 19, 2022, 06:05:41 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 14, 2022, 11:40:32 AMI'm actually up for nuking eurovision.

Are you serious?! OMG. Now, that's exciting. That means we also get to vote for anyone but the UK too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 19, 2022, 08:23:56 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 19, 2022, 06:05:41 AM

Are you serious?! OMG. Now, that's exciting. That means we also get to vote for anyone but the UK too.

:blink:

Canada in Eurovision.  That's... interesting.  I wonder how it will go over.

Actually as I google it, there's going to be an all-Canadian song contest where songs from each of the 10 provinces compete.  BUt it's not clear to me if the overall winner then goes on to compete in Eurovision itself.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I think that's the plan, yes.

I'm rolling with the knowledge that we're going to be in Ukraine in 2023.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.