News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 10, 2022, 02:38:13 PMI've never actually seen MacGyver and only know it from Patty and Selma. I don't really want to watch it now in case it's just a disappointment :lol:

It was all mainly shot in Vancouver. It was part of the tradition of Vancouver posing as pretty much everywhere else in the world except Vancouver

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 10, 2022, 06:42:45 PMIt was all mainly shot in Vancouver. It was part of the tradition of Vancouver posing as pretty much everywhere else in the world except Vancouver

Not just in the world.  Stargate SG-1 was also shot in Vancouver (Richard Dean Anderson should have bought a house there), and the city (and its surroundings) was on any number of planets/galaxies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 10, 2022, 08:31:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 10, 2022, 06:42:45 PMIt was all mainly shot in Vancouver. It was part of the tradition of Vancouver posing as pretty much everywhere else in the world except Vancouver

Not just in the world.  Stargate SG-1 was also shot in Vancouver (Richard Dean Anderson should have bought a house there), and the city (and its surroundings) was on any number of planets/galaxies.

Yeah, a lot of the off planet stuff occurred just off a favourite mountain bike trail of ours.  The boys got used to dodging cast and crew  :D

celedhring

Regarding Weird Al, I distinctly remember "Fat" getting aired on Spanish TV after the original MJ song came out. But overall I would say he's not known over here outside internet nerd circles. The language barrier is very hard to cross for his brand of comedy.

My favorite song is The Saga Begins, because Star Wars. "White and Nerdy" is also great, but I think "Amish Paradise" remains the best version of that particular spoof.

Syt

One of the fun things about Better Call Saul is having some minor characters from Breaking Bad show up. I've started rewatching BrB, and two smaller characters from the earlier seasons showed up in the last two episodes of BCS. For one, Wendy, the meth addicted hooker. More surprisingly, Spooge is one of the first clients of Saul's. Spooge was last seen in Season 2, his head crushed by an ATM he stole. He seems to have been on a bit of a downward trajectory.

This was him on BB:

This is him a few years earlier, looking to hire Saul Goodman:

Makes you wonder if his life had taken a better turn without Saul representing him. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2022, 02:43:14 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 10, 2022, 02:38:13 PMI've never actually seen MacGyver and only know it from Patty and Selma. I don't really want to watch it now in case it's just a disappointment :lol:

As a kid in the 80s, MacGyver was AWESOME :D
McGyver, Dukes of Hazazard and Knight Rider.

And trying to emulate the stunts of these last two with our bicycles :P

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

On the plus side, the meth appears to have softened his wrinkles.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Doctor Strange is a bit of a lumbering mess but it goes near-full Sam Raimi during the climax and that almost savages it. The movie is also not too long for Marvel standards.

Wanda in particular is very clumsily written - a pity.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 11, 2022, 12:26:22 PMDoctor Strange is a bit of a lumbering mess but it goes near-full Sam Raimi during the climax and that almost savages it. The movie is also not too long for Marvel standards.

What other MCU movies or shows are necessary to properly get the movie? Wandavision is still on my watchlist.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 11, 2022, 03:03:55 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 11, 2022, 12:26:22 PMDoctor Strange is a bit of a lumbering mess but it goes near-full Sam Raimi during the climax and that almost savages it. The movie is also not too long for Marvel standards.

What other MCU movies or shows are necessary to properly get the movie? Wandavision is still on my watchlist.

Well, the first Strange movie, for sure. Wandavision is very much required, although they do away with a lot of the nuance that show had.

Also references to events in the Thanos Avenger movies, but those same events are referenced in Wandavision too.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on May 11, 2022, 03:03:55 PM

I haven't seen DrStrange 2, but WandaVision was really good.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Ukraine's Eurovision commentator - working from a bunker:

It's really jarring that picture comes from something as (brilliantly) frivolous and daft as Eurovision - which I can't wait for.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Right, it's Eurovision time 😄
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 10, 2022, 08:31:27 PM

I figured all the main actors had a pied-à-terre in the city.  Even with their salaries, living in a hotel room and eating 3 times a day in a restaurant gets tiresome.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!