News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2022, 01:49:16 PMAlso count in how Vancouver / Toronto have stood in for countless US cities...

It has its own entry on TV Tropes :D https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/CaliforniaDoubling/Vancouver

I love this tidbit from their Tabletop Games section:

QuoteExplicitly acknowledged and lampshaded in The Dresden Files RPG. The GM's section describes what the makers call "The Vancouver Method" of city design — in other words, just making stuff up as an alternative to doing all the research required to produce an accurate recreation of a city. The lampshading comes in the margin notes written by Harry and Billy.
Harry: I don't buy it. They couldn't do a TV show based around Chicago in Vancouver.
Billy: You'd be surprised.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2022, 02:32:28 PMBtw, that show sounds like a kitsch version of "The wages of fear".

In a way. It sold itself on three things:
- foreign locales
- cheesy action
- manly men doing manly things while driving manly trucks

(Btw, I love how in that intro at the start the dark hared guy with luscious hair glances at his driver ... no undertones there, no sir :D ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2022, 02:08:33 PMIt's not as bad as MacGyver having a chase on "German" roads which are clearly in California. :P

There's a hillarious scene in a MacGyver episode set in the Basque Country in which MacGyver has to infiltrate a camp of "Basque guerrilla fighters" that kidnapped an American tourist. The camp and the Basques themselves seem to be a mix of Pancho Villa's army, and any random Latin American military from an 80s action show, but the dudes all wear berets.

Sheilbh

I've never actually seen MacGyver and only know it from Patty and Selma. I don't really want to watch it now in case it's just a disappointment :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 10, 2022, 02:38:13 PMI've never actually seen MacGyver and only know it from Patty and Selma. I don't really want to watch it now in case it's just a disappointment :lol:

As a kid in the 80s, MacGyver was AWESOME :D

I wanted to look up where they shot Iron Eagle (and its tinpot Middle East dictator), but according to IMDB, while they shot most ground scenes in California, the air combat scenes were shot in Israel with IDF pilots (plus some air base scenes) which is a lot more effort than I expected. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2022, 02:43:14 PMAs a kid in the 80s, MacGyver was AWESOME :D

Don't know why, for me it's more a 90s show than an 80s one. For me the quintessential 80s trashy action shows are The A Team and Knight Rider.  :ph34r:

Liep

In what language is the Dutch singing?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2022, 02:47:06 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2022, 02:43:14 PMAs a kid in the 80s, MacGyver was AWESOME :D

Don't know why, for me it's more a 90s show than an 80s one. For me the quintessential 80s trashy action shows are The A Team and Knight Rider.  :ph34r:

Ran from 1985-1992.  POint to Syt.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2022, 02:37:05 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2022, 02:08:33 PMIt's not as bad as MacGyver having a chase on "German" roads which are clearly in California. :P

There's a hillarious scene in a MacGyver episode set in the Basque Country in which MacGyver has to infiltrate a camp of "Basque guerrilla fighters" that kidnapped an American tourist. The camp and the Basques themselves seem to be a mix of Pancho Villa's army, and any random Latin American military from an 80s action show, but the dudes all wear berets.

First season of McGyver.
Strong beginning. :P

Duque de Bragança

Probably the '90 re-runs and/or a late arrival to Spain.

Syt

Not sure I would call MacGyver trashy. It actually tried to break the mold of the usual action stuff you would see at the time. Instead of relying on brawn or gunplay, Mac used his ingenuity to fashion a solution to whatever problem he was presented with, often using random and unlikely random items or trash. It's no surprise MacGyver became a verb. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 10, 2022, 03:07:10 PM

Probably the '90 re-runs and/or a late arrival to Spain.

Yeah, I have the feeling that it was shown later over here.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2022, 03:11:37 PM

Not sure I would call MacGyver trashy. It actually tried to break the mold of the usual action stuff you would see at the time. Instead of relying on brawn or gunplay, Mac used his ingenuity to fashion a solution to whatever problem he was presented with, often using random and unlikely random items or trash. It's no surprise MacGyver became a verb. :P

Yeah, I would leave the trashy epithet to stuff like T.J Hooker.  :lol:

celedhring

Definitely a 1980s show to me.

It had a bunch of reruns in the 1990s and it stayed in the zeitgeist longer than A-Team or Rider, on account of how memeable the concept is (the Cruz y Raya spoofs...).

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2022, 02:32:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2022, 01:49:16 PMAlso count in how Vancouver / Toronto have stood in for countless US cities...

It has its own entry on TV Tropes :D https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/CaliforniaDoubling/Vancouver

I love this tidbit from their Tabletop Games section:

QuoteExplicitly acknowledged and lampshaded in The Dresden Files RPG. The GM's section describes what the makers call "The Vancouver Method" of city design — in other words, just making stuff up as an alternative to doing all the research required to produce an accurate recreation of a city. The lampshading comes in the margin notes written by Harry and Billy.
Harry: I don't buy it. They couldn't do a TV show based around Chicago in Vancouver.
Billy: You'd be surprised.

That's hilarious...I was flipping channels one afternoon, and tripped over a Hallmark drama series called "Chesapeake Shores," allegedly taking place in the Chesapeake Bay monied region around southern Maryland, Annapolis and Calvert County, where all the wealthy white people live and do wealthy white people shit like open ocean-side bistro restaurants with their ex-fiances and shit.  Perfect for Hallmark's 35 to 54-year old female Häagen Dazs-huffing divorcee demo.

Thing is, I'm noticing shit like rocky beaches and boulder islands everywhere, conifers and evergreens all along the waterfront...shit that has absolutely no place in the runoff estuaries and brackish wetlands of the Mid Atlantic.  Waiting for a fucking moose to wander by, ffs. 

Looked it up; Vancouver Island and Parksville, BC.  WTF. Fucking Hallmark. Should stick to ruining Christmas.