News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 29, 2022, 02:01:50 AMIncidentally, I have this indelible memory of watching Robocop during a school trip, and being deeply traumatized by the "you have 20 seconds to comply" scene. Still don't know whose idea was to show that film to a bunch of 10 year olds, but it was the higlight of the trip  :lol:

Even before this little discussion, I really wanted to show RoboCop to my 11 (soon to be 12) year old - I think he'd find it a blast.

It'd probably be too much for my 8 and 9 year olds though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

I think I watched it for the first time at around 8 or 9 and ED-209 was terrifying.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

I don't think I've ever seen it.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

You can't appreciate Deadpool (the movies) without an appreciation of Robocop.
PDH!

grumbler

I think that Verhoeven explains his movies pretty well, and I think that he is being honest about it.  I'm not sure why people argue that he is lying.  You can certainly make the argument that you think that the movies are bad, but I think that the whole "he just claims that his movies are satire to ex-post-facto excuse the fact that they are just bad" argument has no legs.  Contrarianism for the sake of contrarianism is still just contrarianism.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2022, 10:13:22 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 29, 2022, 02:01:50 AMIncidentally, I have this indelible memory of watching Robocop during a school trip, and being deeply traumatized by the "you have 20 seconds to comply" scene. Still don't know whose idea was to show that film to a bunch of 10 year olds, but it was the higlight of the trip  :lol:

Even before this little discussion, I really wanted to show RoboCop to my 11 (soon to be 12) year old - I think he'd find it a blast.

The scene where the bad guy basically melts in acid might be a bit too much for them.  :hmm:

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2022, 01:30:15 PM

The scene where the bad guy basically melts in acid might be a bit too much for them.  :hmm:

I'd be more afraid of the scene where Murphy 'dies' in a quite graphic fashion.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2022, 01:33:26 PM

That's quite gruesome too, even if it's basically a crucifixion scene.  :lol:

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2022, 01:33:26 PM

Negative. I was somewhere 8-11 when I first saw it, I didn't bat an eyelid at Murphy dying but the acid death scarred me for life.

Syt

I didn't watch Robocop at that age, but I did see Aliens at a friends'. That was fine, except the Bishop getting torn apart at the end. Still find it a bit gross, though I've seen movies with much worse since then. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

The most obscene part of Robocop was when that guy said, "Bitches, leave."

Very obscene to my ears  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 29, 2022, 03:35:24 PMThe most obscene part of Robocop was when that guy said, "Bitches, leave."

Very obscene to my ears  :(

True - having to explain who those ladies were might prove awkward.

It somehow happened that I started watching The Good Place with my two youngest boys before bed.  It's a tad more adult than what they usually watch, in that there are references to sex and drinking, but I thought it was probably safe enough.

But then I found out that while we were doing that, my oldest has been watching Grey's Anatomy with my wife, which is way more sexually explicit!

And, that guy?!?  Both the character Clarence Bodeker, and the actor Kurtwood Smith, ought to be well known around here! :mad:

Eddie Teach

You missed the opportunity to call him a dumbass.

FunkMonk

Red Foreman desires bitches. Clarence Bodecker gets rid of them. Big difference, bud.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 29, 2022, 04:55:55 PMRed Foreman desires bitches.

Did we see any evidence of this?