And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 27, 2021, 06:37:11 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 27, 2021, 06:11:49 AM
What kind of cut could possibly fix 13th Warrior?

The Director's Cut. :smarty:

The only directors cut that would save the movie would be to cut the whole thing.  Even Omar Sharif was wooden in this one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Yeah, 13th Warrior is pretty bad. Some cool action moments here and there but I don't think he's on the level of "Greed" for great lost director cuts  :P

Incidentally, while we're on McTiernan, I was watching some Predator scenes today for fun. So, the movie has two US Governors in the cast. What would be the movie with most elected officials?

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on April 27, 2021, 06:58:25 AM
Yeah, 13th Warrior is pretty bad. Some cool action moments here and there but I don't think he's on the level of "Greed" for great lost director cuts  :P

Incidentally, while we're on McTiernan, I was watching some Predator scenes today for fun. So, the movie has two US Governors in the cast. What would be the movie with most elected officials?

Probably some tape from a dominatrix in London.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on April 27, 2021, 06:11:49 AM
What kind of cut could possibly fix 13th Warrior?

Zach Snyder's cut, obvi.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

Jeffrey Epstein's home video?

KRonn

I had kept old recordings of Counterpart TV series, recently reminded me of it. It only played one season but I felt it was a real gem. It was in the current day and in Berlin a portal or gateway had been found to an alternate Earth. Duplicates of people were in each area or dimension, though usually with different jobs and lives. Only select top people knew about it all.

There was intrigue as both sides would meet, some working on each other's side. Each side mostly tried to work together but would have different goals. A faction on one side felt the other side had purposely started a serious pandemic so they infiltrated and killed or kidnapped their duplicates on the other side, and assumed their lives. (Not sure if the pandemic was on purpose or not.) It was real good story line, a different SyFy kind of story, good acting with a mix of international actors. JK Simmons was one of the main characters.

I was bummed though as it ended with only one season. Series ended with both sides agreeing to destroy the gateway and end contact.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 27, 2021, 02:01:11 AM
The trailer for West Side Story is out, and it looks like a pretty straight-forward adaptation of the material. I don't doubt it will be very well-made, because Spielberg films if anything are always very well-made, but I fail to see the point.

I thought the same thing when I noticed the trailer.

If it weren't Speilberg I would think it's a money grubbing studio trying to bilk the rising Latino middle class.

Maybe it will have something interesting to say about contemporary race relations?

I wonder how they will do the white lead.  Struggling Eyetalian American from Archie Bunker type family?  Hipster immigrant?  Long haired Alphabet City pretty boy slacker?

celedhring

Quote from: KRonn on April 27, 2021, 03:11:43 PM
I had kept old recordings of Counterpart TV series, recently reminded me of it. It only played one season but I felt it was a real gem. It was in the current day and in Berlin a portal or gateway had been found to an alternate Earth. Duplicates of people were in each area or dimension, though usually with different jobs and lives. Only select top people knew about it all.

There was intrigue as both sides would meet, some working on each other's side. Each side mostly tried to work together but would have different goals. A faction on one side felt the other side had purposely started a serious pandemic so they infiltrated and killed or kidnapped their duplicates on the other side, and assumed their lives. (Not sure if the pandemic was on purpose or not.) It was real good story line, a different SyFy kind of story, good acting with a mix of international actors. JK Simmons was one of the main characters.

I was bummed though as it ended with only one season. Series ended with both sides agreeing to destroy the gateway and end contact.

You will be happy to know that there was a second season  :P

It's not as good as the first one, but you learn the story of how the Crossing was created and how both worlds drifted apart, and it's very satisfying on that regard.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on April 27, 2021, 03:29:54 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 27, 2021, 03:11:43 PM

You will be happy to know that there was a second season  :P

It's not as good as the first one, but you learn the story of how the Crossing was created and how both worlds drifted apart, and it's very satisfying on that regard.

Oh wow, there was a second season? I'll have to check it out. As I said the first ended with them destroying the gateway but I assume it could be cleared and rebuilt or reused.

I'm also still a bit bummed that the show from Spain, 30 coins, was only one season. Good religious, SyFy thriller. We discussed it earlier in this thread.

celedhring

I know that a second season of 30 Coins is in development, although it's not yet officially renewed.

KRonn

Oh, nice to hear that a second season of 30 coins may be coming. I assume they'll keep the same cast too, most anyway as there was a lot going on at the end.

Barrister

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actor-politicians#United_States  (but a lot of the names listed were merely candidates and were never elected)

Been trying to go through this list to think of another movie.  Most obvious links might be Fred Thompson (Senator from Tennessee) or Ronald Reagan - or if being a small-town mayor counts, Clint Eastwood.  But I can't think of any movie that any of them would have appear in together.

Fun fact I learned going through the list though - Sonny Landhamn, who played Billy Sole in Predator, ran for governor of Kentucky, but failed to gain the Republican nomination.  That theoretically would have made 3 governors though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2021, 10:15:22 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actor-politicians#United_States

Gopher was a US Representative? :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Grandy
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actor-politicians#United_States  (but a lot of the names listed were merely candidates and were never elected)

Been trying to go through this list to think of another movie.  Most obvious links might be Fred Thompson (Senator from Tennessee) or Ronald Reagan - or if being a small-town mayor counts, Clint Eastwood.  But I can't think of any movie that any of them would have appear in together.

Fun fact I learned going through the list though - Sonny Landhamn, who played Billy Sole in Predator, ran for governor of Kentucky, but failed to gain the Republican nomination.  That theoretically would have made 3 governors though.

I guess the 2000s GOP still had some standards... Sony Landham was a nutcase, there is this story (might be urban legend, mind) that when he worked on movies they had to put a bodyguard on him... not to protect Landham, but the people around him.

Yeah, Reagan working on a movie with some random 1950s actors than then became Reps or something might be the best bet, but it's a bit arduous to check.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on April 28, 2021, 10:33:51 AM

I guess the 2000s GOP still had some standards... Sony Landham was a nutcase, there is this story (might be urban legend, mind) that when he worked on movies they had to put a bodyguard on him... not to protect Landham, but the people around him.

Yeah, Reagan working on a movie with some random 1950s actors than then became Reps or something might be the best bet, but it's a bit arduous to check.

According to Landham's WIki page he spent 3 years in prison for making threatening and obscene phone calls to his wife, although the conviction was later overturned.

And this was before his run for governor. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.