News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Clicked on a link to 'Filinta' a detective series set in Ottoman times, right after the opening credits text and a voice over starts, the subititles reads:

"This Show is in memory of those glorious martyrs of the Ottoman Empire, which had ruled justly over the world and of the descendants of this great nation who lost their lives in the pursuit of justice."

Show begins, I click on the back to browse arrow, who knew Netflix harboured Erdogan propaganda.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2021, 10:16:29 PM
Show begins, I click on the back to browse arrow, who knew Netflix harboured Erdogan propaganda.
I don't think it's Erdogan specific. I think it's a really interesting (and I find it kind of cool) thing.

Netflix makes lots of shows in its various markets - so a recent hit was in Luxembourgish which has 600,000 speakers. But they're normally available, I assume, everywhere so we can get them too. One of the groups of shows they make which I personally find really interesting are basically nationalist. Normally we don't see each other's nationalisms because it's on local TV but now we can which, as I say, personally I find quite interesting because they've also got decent production values etc as you'd expect from Netflix.

So off the top of my head I think there's a few set in Republican/Concession era China, there's one set in post-WW1 Poland with Pilsudski and the Miracle at the Vistula, there's some others I've come across. Plus they buy from domestic TV networks so there's loads of Turkish period dramas (about the founding of the Ottomans, about the Mongol invasions etc) because that seems really popular in Turkey but some are very clearly high class propaganda - there's quite a fun drama about the founding of the Chinese Communist Party (apparently it was a good thing). There's also the weirdly sexy Russian drama about Trotsky.

As I say I find it quite interesting because you don't normally get to see each other's national myths/narratives from the inside.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I've not watched it, but more disturbing than Erdogan propaganda I've noticed some Hindu Nationalist bollocks on Amazon prime, presenting Azad Hind as heroes. :bleeding:
Its quite an interesting development of the modern world I find. All these slick high quality series from nations where the ministry of truth is powerful. Back in the day these were always of much lower quality and just didn't compare to hollywood at all.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

From what I understand Bose is a huge hero in India - so that's not surprising.

I remember reading Amitav Ghosh's The Glass Palace and one of the characters joins the Indian National Army - it's a really good novel (I love Ghosh generally) but I just had no idea about it.

I find Bose kind of fascinating.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

So, I finally got up to speed with The Expanse.

The show is as impressive as ever... but this season felt kinda small potatotes? Mostly because after a season where there's alien gates that lead to planets full of mysterious alien shit, this one is all centered on "mundane" stuff. Plus I really didn't care for Inaros as the main antagonist. Still, really looking forward to the sixth - and sadly last - season.

Threviel

Malthus

Clicked on a link to 'Filinta' a detective series set in Ottoman times, right after the opening credits text and a voice over starts, the subititles reads:

"This Show is in memory of those glorious martyrs of the Ottoman Empire, which had ruled justly over the world and of the descendants of this great nation who lost their lives in the pursuit of justice."

Heh it is an interesting if disturbing phenomenon, that we get exposed to other nation's nationalist mythology.

Though here in Canada, the main exporter of that sort of thing is still the good old USA. I'm looking at you, "American Heroes Channel" on cable! 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2021, 09:37:43 AM

Heh it is an interesting if disturbing phenomenon, that we get exposed to other nation's nationalist mythology.

Though here in Canada, the main exporter of that sort of thing is still the good old USA. I'm looking at you, "American Heroes Channel" on cable! 😄

I would say there are proportions though which move from interesting to outrage.

e.g. East Euro countries arguing which one's ancient homeland a particular patch of land is one thing (even if plenty of terrible acts happened because of it). Having a locust invasion of an empire celebrated as justly-ruling martyrs is another thing.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on April 20, 2021, 03:40:19 PM
The Punisher (2004)

I take back anything bad I may have said about the Dolph Lundgren version of this film.  As compared to this version, Dolph's version is a Laurence Olivier Shakespearean tragedy brought to the big screen (though with a somewhat lower body count.)

There are many problems with this one.  The actions scenes are dull, (other than the one where he kills a man with a paper slicer, that seems to come straight from Arnold Schwarzenegger's "Commando"), and you never think for a moment that The Bad Guys are going to kill The Punisher.  There are many times where the plot doesn't make sense; why does The Punisher reveal to the police that he's still alive? and once the bodies start piling up where are the police?  The worst though, is that the film goes into light rom-com territory.  The Punisher moves into an apartment next door to a couple quirky neighbors and a fragile, yet resilient, single woman who sees through The Punisher's tough exterior to the vulnerable man within.  That really doesn't work in a nihilistic revenge movie.

Quick reminder  :P

QuoteOkay, there is some plot in there about the Yakuza kidnapping children, and Louis Gossett Jr. wanting to help Dolph, but for the most part this is an orgy of blood straight out of 80s America.  The budget is low, the acting is wooden (except for Gossett seems to be under the mistaken impression that he's in a real movie), the suits are Polo (or a reasonable knock off of such), the haircuts are yuppie and the Japanese are taking over everything.  There are explosion, there are ninjas and everyone is armed to the teeth with automatic weapons.  It might be the most 80s of 80s action movies.

To be fair the martial arts are remarkably good for a western film from that period.

Welcome back to 2004! That Punisher movie with Travolta has had a deserved horrendous reputation ever since.

Budget is indeed low for Dolph's Punisher, but it is all practical effects, Aussie stuntmen. Yes, acting leaves something to be desired but I have seen Dolph in far worse, not counting Kindergarten Cop 2, the HD Video sitcom photography was painful to look at. Arnie's original, of which Kindergarten Cop 2 is more of a remake as in cop goes undercover in hipster/woke/veggie lover land than a sequel, must be a masterpiece now.
Interestingly, the original was victim of cancel culture, for allegedly taking a pro-cop view.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/08/kindergarten-cop-screening-portland

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2021, 05:17:57 AM
I don't think it's Erdogan specific. I think it's a really interesting (and I find it kind of cool) thing.

Netflix makes lots of shows in its various markets - so a recent hit was in Luxembourgish which has 600,000 speakers. But they're normally available, I assume, everywhere so we can get them too. One of the groups of shows they make which I personally find really interesting are basically nationalist. Normally we don't see each other's nationalisms because it's on local TV but now we can which, as I say, personally I find quite interesting because they've also got decent production values etc as you'd expect from Netflix.

So off the top of my head I think there's a few set in Republican/Concession era China, there's one set in post-WW1 Poland with Pilsudski and the Miracle at the Vistula, there's some others I've come across. Plus they buy from domestic TV networks so there's loads of Turkish period dramas (about the founding of the Ottomans, about the Mongol invasions etc) because that seems really popular in Turkey but some are very clearly high class propaganda - there's quite a fun drama about the founding of the Chinese Communist Party (apparently it was a good thing). There's also the weirdly sexy Russian drama about Trotsky.

As I say I find it quite interesting because you don't normally get to see each other's national myths/narratives from the inside.

I've noticed a lot of Korean shows on Netflix over here too.

Example plot:  Glamorous South Korean business magnate accidently paraglides into North Korea...develops romance with handsome, North Korean soldier (who is, of course, super-ethical and quarrels with corrupt commissars) while hiding out in a quaintly backwards, but somehow not starving, NK village.  :P

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 21, 2021, 11:19:44 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2021, 05:17:57 AM

Example plot:  Glamorous South Korean business magnate accidently paraglides into North Korea...develops romance with handsome, North Korean soldier (who is, of course, super-ethical and quarrels with corrupt commissars) while hiding out in a quaintly backwards, but somehow not starving, NK village.  :P

To be fair that one is based on a true story.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2021, 05:56:17 AM
From what I understand Bose is a huge hero in India - so that's not surprising.

I remember reading Amitav Ghosh's The Glass Palace and one of the characters joins the Indian National Army - it's a really good novel (I love Ghosh generally) but I just had no idea about it.

I find Bose kind of fascinating.
Sure, its bigger than a TV show.
But the whole business is a disturbing counterfactual re-writing of history to meet political anti-congress party goals which serves to push the country in a very dubious direction.
Really the manner with which India gained its independence is something to be proud of... But populists insist on rewriting it by blowing up a very minor part of the story which went counter to the successful peaceful movement into some grand heroic endeavor.
Its interesting for sure. But disturbingly so.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 21, 2021, 11:19:44 AM

:lol:

A lot of the Chinese ones have disappeared and they all seem like Taiwanese shows now so I wonder if Netflix have pivoted from China :hmm:

QuoteSure, its bigger than a TV show.
But the whole business is a disturbing counterfactual re-writing of history to meet political anti-congress party goals which serves to push the country in a very dubious direction.
Really the manner with which India gained its independence is something to be proud of... But populists insist on rewriting it by blowing up a very minor part of the story which went counter to the successful peaceful movement into some grand heroic endeavor.
Its interesting for sure. But disturbingly so.
But I think it's long existed. And Bose was President of Congress, he was an important figure until the INA and was an opponent of Nehru and Gandhi. I think that's even acknowledged within Congress now and he has monuments to him and streets named after him.

I agree that I prefer the Nehru-Gandhi wing of Congress, but surely them writing that as the most important contribution, not figures like Bose was also a part of re-writing history for the political needs of a young state? He is a part of the anti-imperialist struggle and there's always a bit of score setting in history of who matters most - just look at Dev writing Michael Collins out of history or the diminishment of James Connolly.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: celedhring on April 21, 2021, 08:16:09 AM
Quote from: Threviel on April 21, 2021, 07:57:12 AM
Last? Why?

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2559237/the-expanse-is-ending-at-amazon-but-there-is-good-news

won't that end the series without the final installment of the book series having been released?Or will it more or less coincide with the november release of final?