Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2020, 03:58:00 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 26, 2020, 03:50:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2020, 01:49:19 PM
Well then there is also how Albert Fairfax, a Marylander, discovered he was actually a titled Scottish nobleman and returned to the UK and took his place in the House of Lords.  So we do kind of have one example of where that actually happened. Some American discovered that he was in fact the rightful heir to something and went back to do his aristocratic thing late in his life. Not exactly King of Ruritania though.
His grandson's back in the House of Lords - won a recent hereditary peers by-election.

I thought you got a seat automatically if you were a peer. WTF UK. :(

I think only life peers automatically get a seat, while hereditary peers select some of themselves as their representatives (because there are too many peers for the physical space).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2020, 05:22:30 PM
I think only life peers automatically get a seat, while hereditary peers select some of themselves as their representatives (because there are too many peers for the physical space).
I don't think it's to do with space. There's still too many MPs and Lords for the actual chambers.

But when Labour reformed the House of Lords they cut the number of hereditary peers to about 90 (who were elected by other hereditary peers). But when one of them dies their replacement gets elected in a by-election of hereditary peers. The candidates normally do a personal statement some of which are CVs or descriptions of what they care about, some have been limericks and Baron Biddulph always just enters with his personal statement: "Always happy to serve." :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Where's Designing Women?  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Damn, this almost made me cry with nostalgia.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 27, 2020, 05:54:18 AM
Where's Designing Women?  :mad:

Is that the best Atlanta has as a claim to fame?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Walking Dead, but not a sitcom.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

There's a gap in the market for a Montana based sitcom. Maybe something about survivalists.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2020, 04:00:10 PM
There's a gap in the market for a Montana based sitcom. Maybe something about survivalists.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt could've started there.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Just watched the Modern Warfare episode of Community (S1E23). This was one of the most hilarious bits of TV I've seen in a long while with two many genre references to mention. I completely lost it when Senor Chang doing his best Chow Yun Fat impression.  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2020, 07:06:04 AM
Just watched the Modern Warfare episode of Community (S1E23). This was one of the most hilarious bits of TV I've seen in a long while with two many genre references to mention. I completely lost it when Senor Chang doing his best Chow Yun Fat impression.  :lol:

That one is truly amazing, it blew my mind back in the day. And yes, the stellar Chang role as a John Woo style gunman is magnificent. I swear there were doves and everything.  :lol:

celedhring

All the paintball episodes are just fantastic. :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2020, 07:22:16 AM

I didn't enjoy the second one *that* much, the one parodying spaghetti westerns, but in comparison with the first one nothing will stand up to it, IMO.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 29, 2020, 07:24:04 AM

I didn't enjoy the second one *that* much, the one parodying spaghetti westerns, but in comparison with the first one nothing will stand up to it, IMO.  :P

The first is the best no doubt, but the spaghetti western one and the Star Wars one had me all giddy too. So much fun.

And the Mad Max episode in season 3. Which is not a paintball episode but it's their spiritual heir.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2020, 07:27:07 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 29, 2020, 07:24:04 AM

The first is the best no doubt, but the spaghetti western one and the Star Wars one had me all giddy too. So much fun.

And the Mad Max episode in season 3. Which is not a paintball episode but it's their spiritual heir.

I feel like rewatching Community. Again.  :P