News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on March 06, 2020, 05:06:22 AM
Went on and forced me to finish the last season of Man in the High Castle. There's a few ideas (like the Black Communist Rebellion) that should have been in the show since season 1 (it is really weird that you neve hear of them until now), but overall it feels like a rushed and poorly constructed last season. It never felt like this show had any direction, since a lot of the visions and foreshadowing seen in previous seasons end up leading nowhere or are wrapped up poorly.

Now that Amazon has another nazi-themed show to ruin (Hunters) I guess it's time to wave John Smith goodbye.

Yeah, the show was disappointing.  The biggest problem is that the show was boring.  The final season spiced things up by throwing in some new characters and the black communists, but the show ended pretty much with "and suddenly they lived happily ever after".  I read that in the 2nd season they just didn't even have a show runner, which might explain why the show didn't really go anywhere.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2020, 11:50:38 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 06, 2020, 07:40:58 PM
Is the recent Terminator film worth a viewing? :unsure:

edit:
Never mind, I watched it;my review:

'Terminator Dark Fate' - Good if you don't have high expectations

I think I prefered the one with Christian Bale, Terminator Salvation.

Damning with faint praise!  :lol:

KRonn

The show "The White Queen" is starting up again, another season. I thought it had ended but I'm seeing ads for it.

Eddie Teach

Imdb lists that show as having one season- 2013. You sure it's not a new one?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Hmm, looking on line I also can't seem to find info on a new season. I saw ads for it, maybe it's a re-showing of the original show. I'll have to keep a watch out for the ads for it.

Razgovory

I saw the movie Joker this evening.  Didn't this movie used to have a Taxi in it?  It's like a Robert DeNiro's character from King of Comedy stepped through into a time machine, dressed up like a clown and assassinated his future self.

Snark aside, it was an effective movie and I can see how it hit a nerve the nightmare future we are all inhabiting.  Also, the story lunatic loner that the health care system ignores does hit a little too close for home.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

The King of Comedy comparison is obvious, but I don't think it's much like Taxi Driver.  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Fully taking advantage of the Ghibli on Netflix. Just watched My Neighbour Totoro again.

I don't think I've ever had a more wholesome Sunday morning.

Also My Neighbour Totoro has a particular place in my heart because it and La Haine were the first foreign/subtitled films I remember watching. It happened around the same time - I think Film Four was doing a season on Ghibli and my French teacher lent me a copy of La Haine. They were the films that got me over the one inch barrier and I remember them both having such a big impact.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2020, 06:22:59 AM
Fully taking advantage of the Ghibli on Netflix. Just watched My Neighbour Totoro again.

I don't think I've ever had a more wholesome Sunday morning.

Also My Neighbour Totoro has a particular place in my heart because it and La Haine were the first foreign/subtitled films I remember watching. It happened around the same time - I think Film Four was doing a season on Ghibli and my French teacher lent me a copy of La Haine. They were the films that got me over the one inch barrier and I remember them both having such a big impact.

Princess Mononoke was the first anime I watched in Japanese. 

Yeah, having the Ghibli catalog on Netflix is fucking awesome. When I have time to sit down for a full movie instead of watching 30-50 minute episodes I plan to binge it.

Iormlund

Are those also on Netflix Spain Celed?

Eddie Teach

They aren't on US Netflix.  <_<

Josephus

Quote from: KRonn on March 07, 2020, 09:05:57 PM
Hmm, looking on line I also can't seem to find info on a new season. I saw ads for it, maybe it's a re-showing of the original show. I'll have to keep a watch out for the ads for it.

there were a couple sequels to that. White Princess and the Spanish Princess
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Eddie Teach

Tootsie. He was kind of a dick.

celedhring

Picked up Avatar, the animated show. I've been wanting to watch it for quite some time, since it's got so much praise. So far the animation is rather average but the world-building is ambitious.